Switching from lose to maintain.

Options
Do I need to ease into it? Do I just need roads calories and keep checking my weight?

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean in your second sentence.

What i've done recently is stop counting calories - even though i've got a little bit left to lose. And just log my food in a spreadsheet and weigh daily.

Anyway don't pick up a number and start eating to it. Especially not one high over what you've been doing.

What i suggest is that you eat to satiation and stop. Become very aware of when you've eaten enough. You can use a system of rating your appetite and hunger before and after eating and then you can rely on what you learn from this to guide you in addition to the scales.

If the food you choose to eat is whole foods mainly then i find you can trust your body to prevent you from overeating.

HUNGER SATIETY RATINGS FOR ALL MEALS AND SNACKS AND COFFEES NOW.
    Hunger
    -4 - ravenously hungry and I could eat anything right now
    -3 - very hungry and i'd like to eat something substantial now
    -2 - quite hungry and i'd like to eat something now, perhaps a snack or a light meal
    -1 - a little bit hungry and i'd be comfortable to wait a while before eating.
    0 - Not hungry and i'm not hungry at all.

Satiety
    +1 unsatisfied - I still feel a bit hungry and i'd gladly eat something else right now
    +2 just satisfied - My body is relaxed and comfortable and if i ate any more, I would still feel comfortable, but i don't need any more.
    +3 Elegantly satisfied - My body is relaxed and comfortable and if i ate any more i would begin to feel over full.
    +4 over satisfied - I know in my heart of hearts that i've eaten more than my body wants and i feel uncomfortable.

the idea is to aim for eating mainly at 2s and 3s. And minimising eating at 1s and 4s and of course 0.

be aware of eating due to boredom and low mood. I don't think you can stop eating at low mood and stress but just choose healthy foods and also address your emotional problem whatever it is asap. I tend to go seek counselling and find it helps me a lot. Maintaining a healthy mood is vital for long term low weight.