Starting again and want advice

Hi I'm 168lbs this time 18 months ago I was 146 :-( can't seem to get I to the zone, got no clothes that fit me so I need to do this,
I'm 168lbs 5ft 4 I've set my calories to 1450 is this ok or to much or to low?? My husbands Xmas party is in 6 weeks time and would like a stone gone by then is this do able??
Thanks x

Replies

• chrishazza
    chrishazza Posts: 21 Member
    You will do it i am sure.Be positive and stick with it,6 wks of hard work will be worth it.
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Feel free to add me. I have lost 116 pounds since January.
  • sarahlioce
    sarahlioce Posts: 4 Member
    if you want to lose a stone in 6 weeks, I'd set my calories at 1200 to start with, and do at least a 1/2 hour of cardio every day (walking briskly is fine). Once this level of exercise is no longer a challenge(2 weeks or so) add in some other exercise for an additional 15-20 minutes...
  • wikpix
    wikpix Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2014
    I seem to recall reading somewhere or hearing that a kilo of fat is roughly equivalent to 7000 calories. So in order to lose 1 kilo a week you need to have a 7000 calorie deficit a week.

There are different ways you can do this. Once would be to calculate your base metabolic rate (BMR) and then restrict your calorie intake by 1000 cals a day.

Alternatively you could set your calorie intake to the same level as your calculated BMR and burn an extra 1000 calories a day through exercise but this may be difficult if you are not used to doing a lot of exercise.

A combination of the two would probably work best for you. I recently restarted my journey and found it difficult to restrict my calorie intake a lot so I decided to have a slightly higher calorie intake and balance it off by doing exercise. I don't feel like I am missing out on food and I feel a lot less stressed out about my food intake as I am making my calorie intake goal most of the time and i'm not having blowouts any where near as frequently. I think this is because i'm not going over my goal and thinking 'oh well, i've blown it now, I may as well have a packet of chips' or whatever.

I would lose around half a kilo in a week if I just stuck to my daily calories without exercise. I train 3 times a week with a dragon boat club and also do a spin class once a week and commute to work by bike once a week and seem to be losing around 1kg a week.

There are several different ways to calculate your BMR. One is built into MFP when you set up your goals. There's also some helpful info here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Basal-Metabolic-Rate

I hope this helps and good luck.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    A stone is 14 pounds. What is normally recommend is 1-2 pounds a week. You don't have as much to lose as you think. I'd say your calorie goal is perfect (it's mine too, we have the same stats ;) ) But you will probably only lose 1 pound a week, so about half a stone. You'd have to lose an extra 500 calories a day either through diet deficit or exercise to reach that goal you set yourself. Good luck!!
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Free free to add me, I've had some good results since July losing an average of 1.8 lbs at 1400-1600 calories per day. ankdworak