Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Injury set-back...could use some support please :)

I have been SO motivated since I began this journey 10 weeks ago. I've lost 21 lbs which is unheard of for me. Logging all food and exercise in MFP. Feeling better than I have in years, and then....severe tendonitis in my right foot. Doc is happy with my progress and I can resume exercise tomorrow. The problem is that the 1.5 weeks away from my daily workout have messed me up. Before I felt so strong, and resisted all kinds of temptation. I baked cookies and didn't eat them! Now I'm picking at a pie I just made, and feeling hungry all the time. I know that tomorrow is a new day....and I'm excited to exercise again but I just feel a little down and worried about where my head is at. Advice?

Replies

• Swimming is good exercise that isnt tough on your joints. Good way to stay active while you're nursing an injury.
  • I totally feel you on the tendonitis front. I'm finally getting past my chronic dual patellar tendonitis, but it's taken a lot of PT sessions! Swimming was also recommended to me as well as elliptical (instead of walking/running)/ (Though, elliptical may not be an option for you at the moment.) I also started doing upper body strength training at the gym and at home, which may be something to consider while your foot is healing! Free weights or things like pushups/crunches could burn a few :).
  • ymarq84
    ymarq84 Posts: 16 Member
    Think about the 21#'s you have lost and how great you felt when you were working out. I know the feeling when you start seeing results and feel great you are on cloud 9, but as soon as you fall off you start falling for temptation too. I have found that login in to MFP and reading success stories helps me so much..
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    my advice is whatever you did to cause the tendentious - don't do at all until it gets better. If you run go and get your shoes checked out by a decent shoe shop (do this anyway). As people have said swimming is good because you don't load your foot too much, you may get away with rowing as well or even riding. The big rule I found was tendentious is insidious - it hurts for a few minutes and then feels better - but the damage is still being done. Any pain at the start then leave it. I had insidious for a year and a half and it destroyed my health. The other stuff that is going on for your sounds psychological. I know I had a lot of myself invested in getting fit and I fell over and knackered my knee. I ended up slipping into really bad habits because the fitness was so important and i just felt crap without doing it. Remember why you came here to start with though. If you want please add me and I will keep in touch and prod you if you disappear or start to slip (if you want me to that is). I have a great friend on here who did the same for me and she really helped me get back into my transformation. Please don't try and use wishful thinking to repair your tendon though, I tried and it didn't work. Are you doing dynamic stretching for your tendon - if not have a look on youtube - this is a typical example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUvOqadb5s. Thtis is the only thing that worked for me. Be careful you don't overdo it to start with - I will also say that it hurts but it did make a big difference. As I said feel free to friend me and keep in touch. I can empathise totally with you and I don't mind offering a supporting word or two if it will help
  • I hear you on the "baking cookies and picking at a pie..." I just scarfed down a huge piece of cheesecake today (it's my birthday). Makes me wish I was a lousy baker lol. I'm logging in today to start again cause I've fallen off track too. The comments above are great: "Think about the 21#'s you have lost..." and the advice for swimming and weight training. That's what I need to do too. Remember how good it feels to be on track, loosing weight, feeling so much better. You can do it! Last week I was chowing down on a 6 inch pie...I ate half of it and then threw the rest in the trash so I couldn't be tempted with it the next day. Tomorrow is a new day! Don't give up. You are strong enough to do this :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    not sure if the link worked - if not just search dynamic stretching for Achilles tendentious and look for someone lowering their heels down below the ball of their foot on the stairs or step ladder - there are plenty of examples :-)
  • Thank you all so very much! I shed a boo-hoo tear or two, then I rode the stationary bike for just 15 minutes and those endorphins are already working. I love to swim and I know it would be a great choice for me due to arthritis but I'm just too embarrassed by the way I look to go to the YMCA right now. I know that's silly but I have to be honest and pick ways that I will stick to. We have some old equipment in our basement: a treadmill and stationary bike, and a nautilus that only works for upper body til hubby figures out how to fix it. The treadmill is my friend and enemy at the moment. It's been working wonders on losing the pounds, but it's also been hard on my already 'annoyed' feet. I totally agree about tendonitis coming back. The foot doc told me that I as soon as I feel any pain, to stop what I'm doing and ice it. He checked my new sneaks and was really happy with them - but I admit I kept going back to my old worn out sneaks until this happened. I am really past buying cheap sneakers! I have to take care of these feet as they have a lot to carry. He also told me to never do inclines on the treadmill, and when walking outdoors only do very short steps if I can't avoid hills. Long strides on hills pull on those arch tendons. I'm not a runner unless someone's chasing me, so no worries there (unless someone chases me). Thanks again to all of you - you've been just the pick-up I needed :)