Start working at Mcdonalds, how to stop myself from overeating?

Options
So in about 3 weeks I will start working at McDonalds...

Before I worked at a supermarket and when I was hungry after work I often bought myself something to eat. At the supermarket choosing for healthy options was hard sometimes and at the McDonalds I think this will be ever harder....

So does anyone have any tips for me?

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Bring your own food.
  • dancingwaif
    Options
    to be honest I think once you start working there, you will see how disgusting the food looks and will not even want to eat it! When I worked in the kitchen at a Pizza Hut a while ago, I was nauseated just by seeing and touching the sausage and hams and dough.
    Good luck :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of options there now that aren't "bad". Perhaps not as nutritious as other options elsewhere - but select good options and portion control.

Do you need a large order of fries and large milkshake with a grilled chicken sandwich?
    No.

Do you need a McGriddle with a parfait? No.

Do you need more than just a snack to tied you over until you can have a real meal elsewhere? No.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I find McDonalds to be pretty gross to begin with other than the coffee, so nope, not really.
  • Ristia_Amore
    Ristia_Amore Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Does McDonald's still do the free meals with every working shift? When I worked there (back in 2005/2006) for 4 hours of work you got an 'A' meal (equivalent to a happy meal sans toy, or side salad), and for 4.5+ hours you got a 'B' meal (any combo on the menu, except the Double Quarter Pounder, and maybe not the big salads anymore).

IF they still do those, resist! Or get the salads and use very little dressing. Bring your own healthy food to supplement. Get grilled chicken instead of fried or beef.

Or don't eat anything there. You'll soon start to think everything is gross because of how often you're there. I HATED the smell of their fries after a few months of working for them! I still have little burn scars on my hands too...
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have a friend who worked for Swiss Chalet, she no longer wants to eat there and the smell of the grease makes her feel sick to her stomach. I have a feeling the same may happen with you.

All I know is I haven't had McDonalds since April, when I go by one, the grease smells gross and not very appetizing anymore. Bring your own food. You'll be much better off.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When I worked there as a teenager I talked myself into hating the fries. Even after I had stopped working there it was a long time before I ever ate a french fry.
    If you get a sandwich on break, try to eat protein like
    cheese burgers, grilled chicken, egg mcmuffin, wrap, salads without much dressing (dressings have mostly sugar).
    Stay away from their sugary drinks/ oatmeal/parfait.
    You can manage this. During your off hours at home eat the vegetables that you love.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    will power. As tempting as it might be your health is more important. Works great for me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    options:
    1) bring your own food
    2) make room for whatever you have in your day
    3) choose something like the premium chicken wraps (with grilled chicken) and skip the fries.....(I personally like the sweet chili and with grilled chicken it has about as many calories as a Mcdouble but is more filling)

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    My mc donalds is hiring. But I hesitate to apply for this reason. I would stick to salads and dont use the tortilla strips the nuts have sugar in the fruit n walnut salad. Dont eat the hamburger ans stick with grilled chicken on lettuce. No buns. No soda. Water only.
  • Nona240
    Nona240 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the tips! :)

• fit_abbey
    Options
    Tell yourself in a mantra that you are there to earn dollars, not there to eat high calorie food even if it is "free". (If you indulge in high fat foods, those calories will be sticking with you long after the dollars are gone!)

Find menu choices that are healthful, and bring your own condiments if necessary.
  • Nona240
    Options
    fit_abbey wrote: »
    Tell yourself in a mantra that you are there to earn dollars, not there to eat high calorie food even if it is "free". (If you indulge in high fat foods, those calories will be sticking with you long after the dollars are gone!)

Find menu choices that are healthful, and bring your own condiments if necessary.

Thankyou! That is a great tip! I will definitely tell myself that! The food isn't free (which is good for me :smile: ) but it is 50% of the normal price.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    this is kinda funny because I literally just got hired yesterday and my orientation is today!
    I'm curious about the tips also.
  • Nona240
    Options
    Maqneta wrote: »
    this is kinda funny because I literally just got hired yesterday and my orientation is today!
    I'm curious about the tips also.

Hahaha really? Well lets stay motivated and not start eating too much together!!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    When I was working at Subway and Domino's I got free food for every four hour shift and I NEVER got sick of the food. EVER. I worked at subway for 5 years and I still love it. I'm afraid the same thing would be true for McDonald's. I guess if I was working at McDonald's now, I'd go with any of the non-breaded meat products on a bed of lettuce with tomato and onion and some apple slices and once in a while get a small fry, but mostly I'd bring my food from home and always make sure I had a protein bar in my purse in case of emergency.

Another thing you can do is plan ahead what you're going to get for the day and bring things from home to supplement it. So get a salad, but bring your own lower calorie dressing... Or go ahead and get a small burger if you want it, but bring some fruit, veggies, and a yogurt to go with it so you're not still hungry from eating just a tiny McDonald's burger and tempted to get a large fry with it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm quite sure I'd never get sick of the food either if I worked at a place that sells food I love (I worked in a couple bakeries... never got old). But at the same time, I haven't eaten there in a year and I honestly don't miss it at all.

What I'd do is buy stuff to make burgers at home and just make yourself one when you get home after work on the days you are really craving it. After making my own burgers, frankly McDonald's is nasty. Same with fries... I much prefer baking my own with a little bit of olive oil now. Just really look at how the food is made and just tell yourself you're better off making your own without all the added oil or whatever else they cook their patties with.

And make sure to eat before your shift.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I worked at a fast food burger joint in college and it was really kinda horrid the way the smell of the oil clung to things. After my shift my hair and shirt would reek of that greasy chemical mess...UGH.

So, it may not be as hard as you think to resist, especially after you've been working there for a while.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I don't know what y'all are on, but I loved the hell out of McDonald's when I worked there.

Nona,
    There are, and you can make, healthy options at McDonald's. I believe they have a breakdown of calories in the back room or elsewhere on a big plastic card. Do some math and know what you can safely eat there.

Something we used to do is make our own creations on the grill. We'd grill it up, wrap it up, and pay for it at the counter (or get it as a free meal deal). At the time I was a bone skinny kid eating quarter pounders for every meal, but grilled chicken without the bun is straight lean protein. Look at your options, the calories involved, and prep your own meal. You're in a kitchen, right?

Oh, and stay away from those damned enriched buns. They're evil bad on calories.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    After seeing how the sausage is made I'm surprised you still want to eat it.