Starting....again....

I'm not new to MFP, but I feel like I am. Everytime I have lost any weight, I always gain it back. I suspect that it's all in my head and my main problem is I can't say no to things that I know are bad for me. I have tried to just not buy the stuff, but I seem to do it anyway. My willpower is my greatest obstacle. I have about 150 lbs to lose. I don't know how to make myself make the right choices, as dumb as that seems. But honestly, it's like telling a smoker to quit smoking. They know they should because it's harmful, but they can't do it. It's an addiction. I have gotten to the point where I back out of parties and things because I'm too ashamed of what I look like. I hate catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror, and I absolutely despise trying on clothes. I had a severe leg injury about a year and a half ago, so it's hard to exercise for any substantial length of time. Can anyone tell me what I should do? How do you say no to things that are bad for you and make better choices??? :(

Replies

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited October 2014
    Start off with small steps and incorporate them into your life. If you don't you will be setting yourself for failure again. Changing your diet cold turkey is not a good way to go. Start by bringing home a few veggies and a couple of fruits. Cut back on the junk and bakery food. Begin to bring stuff with you to work. You get into the habit and it gets easier as you go.

As for your leg injury. I broke my ankle four years ago and tried to do too much all at once. I grew depressed and just didn't want to bother anymore and ended up gaining it all back.

I have a 170 pounds to lose altogether. I have lost 40 pounds so far.

As for exercising, start off with ten minute walks then challenge yourself. As the weight comes off you will find your body has healed and you will be walking long distances again. Up your protien intake. It will help you build the muscle back into your leg faster.

Take small short baby steps. Add me as friend if you want and I can help you through it.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm not new to MFP, but I feel like I am. Everytime I have lost any weight, I always gain it back. I suspect that it's all in my head and my main problem is I can't say no to things that I know are bad for me. I have tried to just not buy the stuff, but I seem to do it anyway. My willpower is my greatest obstacle. I have about 150 lbs to lose. I don't know how to make myself make the right choices, as dumb as that seems. But honestly, it's like telling a smoker to quit smoking. They know they should because it's harmful, but they can't do it. It's an addiction. I have gotten to the point where I back out of parties and things because I'm too ashamed of what I look like. I hate catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror, and I absolutely despise trying on clothes. I had a severe leg injury about a year and a half ago, so it's hard to exercise for any substantial length of time. Can anyone tell me what I should do? How do you say no to things that are bad for you and make better choices??? :(

The thing is, lots of smokers do quit smoking, and lots of overweight and obese people do lose the weight and keep it off. It's hard, but you can see from this very forum that it can definitely be done.

Think about all the things you do in your life that you don't even think about whether you want to do them or not. You don't give yourself an option of whether you feel like it, you just do it. Brushing your teeth, for instance. You don't debate with yourself over if you're in the mood to brush your teeth. You just brush your teeth.

You can train yourself to think of eating healthy and exercising the same way. Don't give yourself an option to say no. Don't debate with yourself over whether you feel like it. Just do it, like brushing your teeth.
  • irisheyes226
    irisheyes226 Posts: 27 Member
    I recently read a book called "Stop Whining, Start Living". It really put into perspective for me that I need to stop complaining about everything that gets in my way and just work towards my goals! I starting preplanning my meals, workouts, etc and now I feel really motivated to do more. It's almost like I took on a "fake it until you make it" mentality until it finally clicked!

Feel free to add me for motivation and support!!
  • aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    I have the same issue. I have no will power. I think it's about falling down and going back and saying this is why i fell. people you love can also help. Ask them to help remind you of your goals. I am starting over again. Feel free to add me for support.
  • I am in the same boat as you. I have been obese since I was 10 years old and breaking a life time of bad eating habits is hard as heck! Every time I make some progress I tend to mess up and completely fall back into old habits. I think its partly because I've been big my whole life that I am afraid of what it will mean when I no longer have that extra weight holding me back so I unconsciously sabotage myself.

Honestly I think if I were able to afford to talk to a professional (Nutritionist and/or Therapist) about my relationship with food I think I could achieve a lot more. Perhaps if you are having a hard time of it and can afford to it might help to see a professional about your dieting roadblocks!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Welcome back!
    Just follow the MFP recommendations for steady and lasting results.
    Eat clean, log all your foods and set your calorie intake to lose 1 pound per week.
    Exercise both cardio and strength, and eat back your exercise calories.
    It's simple.
    And once you reach your goal weight, stay on track. That's not the end; it's merely the end of the beginning. Good Luck!
    <3
  • InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    A big piece of advice, is to make it easier for you to make good choices instead of bad choices. When you come home from the grocery store, clean your fruits and veggies, and chop up some veggie sticks. I find if you keep a little water at the bottom of your container, the veggies stay very nice and crispy for most of a week(and they usually don't last that long) I would cut up a whole pound of carrots, and an entire bunch of celery, because even if you binge eat them all at once, it's not that bad for you, and I find it's worse if you don't have some "healthy" snacks ready to go because then you go for the unhealthy ones.

Also, plan some healthy dinners within your calorie goals, make enough for two so that you can save some for lunch the next day. Once again, if you already have something healthy just waiting to be eaten in the fridge, it makes going and buying something unhealthy less tempting.

Lastly, try to eat more filling foods, veggies, lentils, that sort of thing-- and don't eat unless if you're hungry. If you find that you are eating out of boredom, the first step is to acknowledge it, and find something else to do when you are bored-- like going out for a walk, preferably in nature where the rustling of trees and all that can keep you distracted from mindless eating.

Oh, and of course, LOG EVERYTHING(Accurately-- using a food scale to weigh is always better than the approximations), BEFORE YOU EAT IT. After 2 months of being pretty much on track, it doesn't matter much if I log before or after I eat it, but when you first start out, it can be a lifesaver if you force yourself to really look at the effect eating something is going to have on your goals. It's a lot easier to say no to a piece of cheesecake if you make yourself accept if you eat it you hardly have room for anything else.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    I've been right there with you but in July I said enough was enough and got back at it. I also joined a facebook challenge group with a bunch of people from mfp and with their encouragement and the extra accountability I've been able to average 1.8 lbs lost per week since then. Feel free to message me if you want more info on the facebook group. It's a free group. ankdworak
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Right there with you. I do really good for about 3 months then something happens that throws me off track for a few days and I find it extremely difficult to start back. Trying again. Feel free to add me.
  • I absolutely respect you for writing this post and admitting your struggle this way.
    I think the comments above have said it all, so I'm gonna try not to be too long.
    Whether you decide to take it one day at a time, join a group's challenge, whether you want to be accountable to someone and give them something after each week of not losing.... The important factor is still the same: decision making.
    The simple fact that you took the initiative to come back on MFP is already a brilliant first step. Decide on the next one. Choose a diet to follow; decide to cut out something totally (sugar? fat? cooked food? Carbs for breakfast only?); choose a fitness partner.... it doesn't matter what you go for, at least DO SOMETHING, no matter how small and insignificant you might think it is.
    Moreover, in my opinion, the "what" doesn't matter as much as others might say, but the why does. I read this week about a woman who was told she was "morbidly obese" and couldn't care less; but when she was told that she was the only one who could give a kidney to her son after he got sick, she got a wake up call and lost 200lbs so she could go through the operation.
    If you don't have a strong enough "Why", it gets difficult to find motivation! Maybe you should take the time to think about why exactly do you want to lose weight, and hopefully find a reason which is important enough to hold on to?
    I'm right there with you, fell free to add/message me! :-)
  • la_Laleh
    la_Laleh Posts: 22 Member
    I had a severe leg injury about a year and a half ago, so it's hard to exercise for any substantial length of time.

My father needed to have ankle surgery a while back and he was worried about how he would be able to work out - he likes to stay on his feet a lot. I ended up buying him portable bike pedals. He would place the pedals on a table top and use them with his hands/arms to get some movement in his day. It may not be the best solution when you have a leg injury, but it is one way to burn calories and get your heart rate up.

While I was searching for something for him to use, I also came across seated cardio workouts. You may be able to find some on youtube. They are meant for those who have injuries below the waist.

Maybe these are some options you can look into while your leg heals? Good luck to you!
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Hi there,
    Make small steps instead of all the changes at once, set your calories at a realistic level and not the 1200 MFP has probably set you, you will only end up struggling to keep to them, hungry and then demotivated, try doing some upper body work outs if you have an injury, but i work with soldiers who have lost limbs and still hit the gym.... so it is possible to work out, you just need to adapt to fit your needs and ability really hun. Make sure you weigh all your food, i was shocked when i started as my portion control was WAY out lol!
    ~I eat anything i fancy if i have the calories to spare. But just a smaller portion, so i never feel deprived ;) x
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Small steps and small goals. if you fall down pick your self back up. I am 2 weeks into my (so many times I can't count) time. Having some friends her helps. I sent you a request. I have about the same to lose
  • I'm exactly the same. I always lose weight but then my motivation disappears. I often set myself goals and always fall short and everything spirals out of control. Having used MFP before I can definitely agree that the support of other people is key, just to give you that feel good factor :) Exercising is also key. Just start off small and as the weight starts falling away you will be able to go for longer. Although I don't have a similar weight loss goal in mind I have set you a friend request :)