Any Triathletes out there...

Options
I would love to chat with some people who have done any Triathlons. I am currently only interested in a sprint. Honestly that alone has me quivering in my boots, mainly because of the swimming.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE road biking. I have a Fuji Road bike that I ride about 3x a week. I go anywhere between 20-40 miles on an average ride. Although my long rides I like to hit around 50 (did 70 this last weekend). I have only been biking for 3 years and clocked about 3600 miles so far. But I have never done a group ride. They make me nervous. lol. I know when riding alone I only have to look out for myself with traffic. When in a group it seems like.... well that is a whole nother topic for another day. My point is, I am not use to riding in a group setting.

So running. I don't run. But I can tear up an elliptical! I took a break and goodbye to the treadmill and road a couple of years ago, to help ease the impact on my knees that almost have no cartilage behind my kneecaps due to sliding patella. I did a 5k with my 8 yr old daughter back in the spring and it seemed super easy (and short), although I did a slow jog/fast walk most of the way. So the running part of the Tri doesn't worry me that much, if worse comes to worse I will fast walk it. My goal here is not to make the best time, but to finish.

The swimming...oh the swimming. Ah! First off I hate lakes... Or any open water for that matter. I will try to just not think about my irrational fears while I am swimming through the water envisioning myself as lake monster (or minnow) bait. lol So in all seriousness my biggest concern with the swimming is my lack of experience in that area. Yes I can swim some laps....but how many?? I use to swim laps at the big box gym after I had my daughter (gosh that was about 6 years ago though now). Since then it has pretty much been a couple of short lap swims across the neighbors pool a few times each summer while my kids swam. Then add to your data collection spreadsheet, that I never took official swim lessons as a kid. Sure I can swim and I have decent enough technique (I think... Hey I get from point A to point B, a few times) but...I am still lost in concern and worry over how hard is half a mile swim going to be??

I am a stay at home (homeschooling) mom and small business owner. I love to workout and have been addicted to it for the past 6 years since I first fell in love with it. I lost about 25lbs back then and kept if off for about 3 years, when it all slowly came back on again when I let my healthy diet habits slip. My working out 3-6 days a week never did falter though luckily. But now I am up 27 lbs (it was 38! But I have lost 11 over the past month or two), but I only really care to lose 17 more. Heck I am not 21 anymore and have no desire to starve myself to be skinny. So I am definitely not in my best shape. But my heart is in super, crazy healthy shape.
I am weight training 3 days a week (with about 30 min of elliptical/spin bike cardio added in as well). Then I bike about 20 miles 2x a week and about 40-50 1x per week but it feels like a rut. It's the same 'ol, same 'ol. I want to feel more challenged. The weight lately has not been easy to come off at all. What the heck happened to my body at 30?? And I really think it is because my heart is so much healthier than my body, but my knees severely limit the extent I can push my body (I love to push it HARD but have learned time and time again, I can't always go as hard as I would like or my knees will blow out and I won't be able to workout for weeks).

My goal this coming year is....
Bike 2,400 miles
Get out of my comfort zone and go on a group ride or two
Go to a bike rally/race type event
Lose the rest of the 17 lbs of extra weight.
Complete a 5k
Complete a 10K
Complete a century ride
....... And my biggest goal for next year.......Complete a Sprint Triathlon

So my question to all you beautiful people is, what steps should I take to make this dream become a reality? Am I crazy or is my determination enough to make it happen? Cause I have a lot of that.

Replies

• starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    And jacksonpt, thanks, I found that tri/duo group last night right after posting this. Glad to see there is a group on here for that!

Definitely going to work on the swimming. My neighbor has a pool I can use but it is now Nov. I wonder if I should go ahead and invest in a wet suit. lol. The nearest public/gym pool is about 25 min away and I am not inclined to go there very often but might for occasional practice.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Wetsuits certainly aren't necessary, especially for a sprint. So it's really more about your desire for one vs your need for one.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that a half mile is 33 lengths in a 25 yard pool. Most backyard pools are much shorter than 25 yards. It may be worth driving the 25 miles to get to a real pool. And be sure to practice in the open water before the race too. I've seen far too many people get into the lake, panic, and have to quit, all because they felt preparing for open water wasn't necessary.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I did triathlons many many years ago, also had a Fuji road bike, also hated swimming in open water as I was not a strong swimmer. I found wearing a wetsuit helped keep me buoyant and a more efficient swimmer in open water . My boss, who does Ironmans also loves wearing wetsuits for the pretty much the same reasons and he's a much stronger swimmer than I ever was.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You have gotten good advice so far. I would only add that if you have never done it before, doing a practice open-water swim in really helpful for calming those first-timer nerves. You should be able to find a local open-water clinic or something like that (ask the people who organize the tris in your area). By doing some swimming in a safe, guarded, pressure-free environment you will be much more comfortable on race day.

• gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi, I've done a bunch of triathlons (sprint and oly).

Swim advice: as already stated, MAKE SURE YOU DO OPEN WATER SWIMS with a partner for safety. Be prepared to be hit and kicked in the water, to swallow water, and to be swimming blind. Practice "spotting" - looking out to see where you are going. Triathlons take great pains to make sure you are safe in the water so you are not in any actual danger, but you really really need to practice this. Also, if you can take a masters swim class. They can help you with your form! Even though the swim is the shortest leg of the race (both in distance and time) you don't want to be eating up your energy.

Bike advice: you won't really be in a group. You'll pass one another but there isn't any drafting allowed. So don't worry about the fact that you've always ridden solo. Ask your race director about passing rules (some of these depend on if your tri is USAT sanctioned).

Run advice: there will be people walking, you won't be alone :) I try to push myself to do interval running, but I rarely run the whole thing.

Transition advice: this is called the "fourth event" of triathlons. Study up and practice these!! Feel free to message me or comment if you want any advice. I have it down to a science.

Triathletes are notorious for being a very friendly bunch. 95% of people are there just to finish and will be very helpful, encouraging folks. Maybe not chatty -- they're in the zone for their race -- but not really competitive with YOU by any means. 5% will be there to qualify for other races or to PR or to place... just ignore those people :) I remember my first triathlon I was wayyyyyy overweight and out of shape, walking up a hill, and looking totally out of place in basketball shorts and a fleece sweatshirt on an 80 degree day. I had several triathletes flip around and run backwards up the hill so they could chat with me and cheer me on. You'll frequently hear people say "looking good" as they pass you, and you should say it to your fellow racers as you pass them!

Remember -- triathlons are like a chess game. Don't go all out on the bike and leave nothing for the run/walk. Think about when you want to use your bursts of energy and think about things like fuel/hydration stations, how many calories you're going to need, how you're going to transport them (and keep in mind triathlons are trash free, you can't drop any wrappers to the ground).

Final big note of advice: Don't make race day your first day of anything. Running with sunscreen. Biking in a new helmet. Swimming in a wetsuit. No new outfits, shoes, or hair ties -- there should be nothing new. This includes the fact that you are not allowed to listen to any headphones or anything while racing. So practice training with nothing but your own thoughts to keep you going. Triathlons are a great physical sport but they are very similar to marathons in that it is your mind that will ultimately get you over that finish line.

Good luck!!
  • jaded082
    Options
    Wow, and the great advice keeps coming! Thanks so much guys!

The wetsuit idea was for use here at my neighbors pool so I could work on my swimming during the winter. But now that I think of it, I think a wetsuit might help me overcome some of my anxiety of swimming in open water (keeping more of my skin covered).

I really appreciate the advice on the practice swim in open water, I hate to hear that but sounds like really good sound advice, that I just need to swallow it and do.

gnalani- never even thought of not being able to have music. Ahhhhhh! Ok, so definitely going to have practice without. Also appreciate the advice of NO new things on race day. Not something you would normally think of.

Seriously thanks so much guys for all the great advice. I am really super stoked about this. My husband thinks I am plum crazy. But I love a challenge (it's like a runners high) and I definitely feel that here.

Feel free to friend me, I can use all the Tri- friends and supporters I can get to help me along this journey. I am already looking ahead at the Olympic Tri. There again, not worried about the bike and the run, only the swim. If I can get through the Sprint I am definitely hoping to go for the Olympic Tri. Maybe I am looking to far ahead...
  • jaded082
    Options
    Oh by the way I did a brick workout day before yesterday (I guess that is what they are called??) to see how it went and how prepared I was for the Tri.
    I biked 20 miles, then came home and jumped off the bike, changed my shoes and shirt and grabbed the kids (they are homeschooled so it was their PE class), and walk/jogged a 5k (in 45 min, I am guessing that is pretty sad time, but am not all about the time).
    I was really impressed with myself! Having not run/jogged in years (only elliptical machine), I was impressed my body and knees handled it ok. I wasn't even sore the next day except for some tightness in my shoulder blades area.

Gnalani, your last sentence reminded me of what I wear around my neck everytime I bike... (see ppicture) My emergency contact info is on the back.
    ebireswe7mg5.jpg

• gnalani
    Options
    Love the dog tag!

Brick workouts are great for triathlon practice. They are called brick workouts because your legs feel like bricks :) for the best practice, go straight from dismounting The bike to running. It is not a pleasant feeling!!

Is your triathlon USAT sanctioned?
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I've done quite a few sprints and a couple of Olympics. If you are really worried about the open water, there are some sprints that are done in a pool. Look around, you may be able to find one.

My best advice for the open water swim is to get in and warm up before the race. The first race I was in, it was very cold, and I thought maybe I should just stay out until the race started. My sister made me get in with her to warm up. I was glad I did. The cold water really took my breath away, so I was able to get the shock over with before the race started!!
  • jaded082
    Options
    That's not a bad idea Mrscanmore, I might look into that. Thanks!
  • glevinso
    Options
    gnalani wrote: »
    Triathletes are notorious for being a very friendly bunch. 95% of people are there just to finish and will be very helpful, encouraging folks. Maybe not chatty -- they're in the zone for their race -- but not really competitive with YOU by any means. 5% will be there to qualify for other races or to PR or to place... just ignore those people :)

Hey! I am one of those gunning for the podium, and looking to really race these things. I am always happy to chat before or after the race, especially with first-timers and newbies. Triathletes really are a friendly bunch, even those of us at the pointy end. :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    Final big note of advice: Don't make race day your first day of anything. Running with sunscreen. Biking in a new helmet. Swimming in a wetsuit. No new outfits, shoes, or hair ties -- there should be nothing new. This includes the fact that you are not allowed to listen to any headphones or anything while racing. So practice training with nothing but your own thoughts to keep you going. Triathlons are a great physical sport but they are very similar to marathons in that it is your mind that will ultimately get you over that finish line.

Good luck!!

This is known as the "Nothing New On Race Day Rule". Never do anything in a race that you haven't practiced. Race day is not the day you try out something even seemingly insignificant, like a new type of body lube, or even using it at all if you never did before. Don't use a new helmet you bought the day before. New shoes, or even a new hat can really mess you up.

There is so much to the sport of triathlon that is outside of the physical training. It is all "easy stuff" but practicing transitions, using chamois cream, your specific sunglasses can all make a difference. Not in how fast you go, necessarily, but how comfortable you are especially if its a long race like a Half or Full Ironman.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Brick workouts are great for triathlon practice. They are called brick workouts because your legs feel like bricks :) for the best practice, go straight from dismounting The bike to running. It is not a pleasant feeling!!

For what it's worth, this doesn't last. After doing this for a while I noticed that I don't feel any different running right after a bike. First year or two, sure this can be unpleasant, but after a while it becomes second nature.

At the same time, I run for at least 15 minutes after every long ride I do. It's just part of the training day. Finish the ride, throw on running shoes and go - even for just 15 minutes.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Doing the trirock intermediate next weekend, and stepping up to a half ironman in April. Still, I've established a reasonable base of 35 miles/week of running, 100 miles/week of riding, and about 2 miles week/swimming already, so stepping up to the HIM, then to a full ironman shouldn't get too ugly.
  • jaded082
    Options
    I have to admit, it didn't feel that weird going from the bike to a run last week. It wasn't as big of a deal as I was expecting. Not "brick" feeling thankfully. Of course it was only 3.1 mi but all the same.

And I agree glevinso, I like the idea of adding a run after my rides, I think that is something I want to do regularly. I did it twice last week and it kinda felt like the icing on the cake of my workout.

I have still yet to go hit the pool. I live in the Dallas area, so so far no really cold temps but it is cool, I am worried about how cold the water is at my neighbors pool (who lets us use it). Yeah it's not a big pool, but I figure if I swim it a couple times a week, I can at least work on getting use to swimming laps again, even if it is a cray amount of just short laps. lol. Then a couple times a month I will go hit the indoor pool that is about 25 min from us. Wish it wasn't so far away.

Nice Ohhim! Good luck on race day! Sounds like you have been doing some really good training!

So how many triathletes focus on weight training too? I like weight training, is there room in tri training for weights?
  • gnalani
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Triathletes are notorious for being a very friendly bunch. 95% of people are there just to finish and will be very helpful, encouraging folks. Maybe not chatty -- they're in the zone for their race -- but not really competitive with YOU by any means. 5% will be there to qualify for other races or to PR or to place... just ignore those people :)

Hey! I am one of those gunning for the podium, and looking to really race these things. I am always happy to chat before or after the race, especially with first-timers and newbies. Triathletes really are a friendly bunch, even those of us at the pointy end. :)

Haha your right there are definitely some competitive yet friendly and helpful racers out there :) I guess I should phrase it as... 95% of people are supportive and friendly and just want everyone to get over the finish line. 5% of people have more of an elite view of the sport. But that 5% isn't necessarily made up of the top/competitive racers. Gah I had promised myself I wouldn't sign up for any triathlons next Summer. Talking about how awesome they are is making my resolve waver...