Hubby wants to gain weight...any ideas how to help?

Options

Replies

• KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    MrsScott, as a diabetic I work to get protein in every snack, every meal. That's why his meal plan looks a little short. It doesn't take much to add. Small changes.

That is why I am asking for ideas.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Turn those lunch sandwiches into Monte Cristos ...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) he needs his own account.
    2.) It takes 5 min to track if you plan your meals and take food with you- the app is seriously not that hard to use.
    3.) look- reality he has to eat more- plain and simple- crying about not having time to do so is just an excuse. EVERYONE has stuff- EVERYONE is busy.
    4.) Double up on what he DOES eat.
    5.) more fat. if he likes smoothies- blend a scoop of vanilla or chocolate into an ice cream smoothie- and a slice of cheesecake while you're at it.

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    1.) he needs his own account.
    2.) It takes 5 min to track if you plan your meals and take food with you- the app is seriously not that hard to use.
    3.) look- reality he has to eat more- plain and simple- crying about not having time to do so is just an excuse. EVERYONE has stuff- EVERYONE is busy.
    4.) Double up on what he DOES eat.
    5.) more fat. if he likes smoothies- blend a scoop of vanilla or chocolate into an ice cream smoothie- and a slice of cheesecake while you're at it.

This. You say he wants to gain weight, but you're offering a lot of excuses for him.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Easy things:

Whole milk instead of skimmed
    Double meat in his sandwiches, or add in some fattier cuts like ham or salami
    Full fat cheese
    Cooking veggies in olive oil, or drizzling on top (yum)

Agree with the others that he needs to make his own account. This seems more like you are solely responsible for his nutrition, and that's never going to work.
  • KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options

MrM27 wrote: »
    He doesn't at the moment because he doesn't have much weight on him. And don't criticise my husband - even if its not what you are meaning to do, it sounds like it.

Don't get all defensive about the critique. Realize that we all put hard work into this game. Day in and day out. . [/quote]

I will get defensive when it comes to my husband. If you had a wife (I dont know if you do or dont) you would get defensive as well.

I only asked for ideas and have got a good few one but some things are not helping and don't actually read what I have put.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    We've all read what you've written, but we're questioning whether or not he's going to be able to do it. Gaining weight takes a lot of work. If he just wants to gain weight and doesn't care if it's mostly fat, he needs to eat more than he burns. If he wants a reasonable portion of his gains to be muscle, he's going to need to lift weights.

Given that he has eating issues in his past and seems to naturally maintain a slim build, if you just start over-feeding him, he'll probably naturally regulate either his intake or his energy output to maintain his current weight. (He'll either start moving a lot more or his appetite will drop and he won't eat everything you feed him.) Both of those things naturally start to happen when you bulk on purpose, and it can be an uphill battle to keep gaining. If he's not an active participant in the process, it's not going to work.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    He needs more calories. He won't change breakfast so that leaves lunch & dinner & snack to fill out. As others have mentioned, use full fat dairy. Since we don't know exactly what he likes or doesn't like, here are some general ideas:

More meats
    Nuts
    Peanut butter
    Olive oil
    Avocados
    Bananas
    Pasta
    Nutella
    Real Butter (not margarine spreads)
    Fruit juice
    Salmon
    Protein bars (instead of cereal bars)
    Ice Cream
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Yikes, OP, I see that you are eating 700-900 calories daily. You and your husband both seem to have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food. I think counseling might work better than this forum. At least then you'd feel as though you're being heard. Best of luck to both of you.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrsScott02 wrote: »
    He doesn't have time to track etc.
    Hence why I have to do it lol, plus he doesn't make his own meals. I might make one for him but I will log everything :)

Can you adopt me? I'd love for you to make all my meals and log them too. Because I work full time with a 2 hour commute every day, have 2 kids under the age of 4, a house to clean, laundry, workout 3 times a week, etc, etc, etc. So that would be awesome. Thanks. As it is, I still find the time to log my food even when my husband cooks. :wink:

My point? If he really wants it, he'll find the time. If he doesn't, he won't. Don't force it. He's gotta be the one to commit, not you.

As for him eating more, liquid calories my friend - juice, milk, soda, whatever. Get it in.
  • JoRocka
    edited October 2014
    Options
    He doesn't at the moment because he doesn't have much weight on him. And don't criticise my husband - even if its not what you are meaning to do, it sounds like it.

Don't get all defensive about the critique. Realize that we all put hard work into this game. Day in and day out. .

I will get defensive when it comes to my husband. If you had a wife (I dont know if you do or dont) you would get defensive as well.

I only asked for ideas and have got a good few one but some things are not helping and don't actually read what I have put.

here's the thing- usually people are overly defensive when they are on shakey ground.

You're husband doesn't NEED defending- no one here is "defaming" him. The reality is- you cannot do this for him.

Gaining purposeful weight is WORK.

If he isn't willing to take responsibility- then tough itties- it's not going to happen- he needs to man up and do it himself and stop complaining to you for help if he won't help himself. There is no malice or personal inflection to this comment- it's said completely void of emotion- don't project your frustrations on to it.

Let him be his own person and do the thing.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ah HA- i fixeded the quotes! woot
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Don't get all defensive about the critique. Realize that we all put hard work into this game. Day in and day out. .

here's the thing- usually people are overly defensive when they are on shakey ground.

You're husband doesn't NEED defending- no one here is "defaming" him. The reality is- you cannot do this for him.

Gaining purposeful weight is WORK.

If he isn't willing to take responsibility- then tough itties- it's not going to happen- he needs to man up and do it himself and stop complaining to you for help if he won't help himself. There is no malice or personal inflection to this comment- it's said completely void of emotion- don't project your frustrations on to it.

Let him be his own person and do the thing.
    That is literally the best line I have read in 2014.

I agree.

• JoRocka
    Options
    YES_ my time this year on this earth was not wasted!!!!!

I AM A HUGE SUCCESS!!! mamma's going to be so proud.

:p

no but really- it's true. LOL I should save it for later.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

Yeah, unfortunately you dropped it in the weight gain section where many won't see it.

If you do it again somewhere see I won't tell. Shhhhh

Yeah, I call do-over. Your brilliance is wasted if you only leave it here!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Yeah, unfortunately you dropped it in the weight gain section where many won't see it.

If you do it again somewhere see I won't tell. Shhhhh

Yeah, I call do-over. Your brilliance is wasted if you only leave it here!

except this is one of the few places it actually matters- b/c most people actually listen to WTF is being said.

but yes- we shall keep these in our back pockets for later use in other more widely browsed sections. dropping knowledge on this mofo's everywhere *snicker*