How Hard Is Moderate Exercise? Not As Hard As You Might Think

Options
spicy618
spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

Just read this article on yahoo.
https://www.yahoo.com/health/how-hard-is-moderate-exercise-not-as-hard-as-you-might-101097248422.html

I've asked myself this same question. Especially, when i roller blade. I have a HRM, but it just doesn't seem like I'm working out as intense as it shows. It's so much fun, but my HR is usually about 90% - 100% of my Target Heart Rate the entire time. :\

When I go for walks, it ranges from 70 - 85% of my Target Heart rate. It feels Moderate.

Reading this article gives me a good feeling about not having to take my workout "to the limit", every time to expect fat loss.

Has anyone also read or heard that a moderate workout burns about 10 calories per minute? recently, I was on the elliptical and my HRM seemed to have "synced" with it, both read the same HR no matter if it went up or down. It did average at 10 calories per minute.

Oh well, just thought I'd share this for some of those that let Intensity stop them from even beginning the workout. Like it used to do me.

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    According to my Body Media armband, I have to work out at a fairly good clip to burn 10 calories per minute. It's a pretty slow run, about 11.5 mph, but to get that kind of burn with a home workout video I end up pretty wiped at the end. I guess it's all about your individual body... and something is always better than nothing!! :)
  • spicy618
    Options
    "Better than nothing" gets me out to the gym or a walk plenty of times. ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is the product of workload intensity x body weight. "Moderate" is a very subjective term, so there is no way to assign a fixed calorie burn to something called "moderate" exercise.

As they mentioned in the article, individual HR response to exercise varies widely, so unless you know your actual max HR and can program that into your HRM, you cannot rely on the HRM's interpretation. E.g. If the exercise "feels" moderate, but the HRM says you are at 90% of max, then you are likely not at your actual 90% effort.
  • spicy618
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Calories burned is the product of workload intensity x body weight. "Moderate" is a very subjective term, so there is no way to assign a fixed calorie burn to something called "moderate" exercise.

As they mentioned in the article, individual HR response to exercise varies widely, so unless you know your actual max HR and can program that into your HRM, you cannot rely on the HRM's interpretation. E.g. If the exercise "feels" moderate, but the HRM says you are at 90% of max, then you are likely not at your actual 90% effort.

thanks Azdak, for explaining that. I have those settings in my HRM, however, like it stated in the article, the 220- age method is what I used and that is probably not correct.

Is that your new doggie? He's so cute. I remember your older pal :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    it's subjective.
This discussion has been closed.