Please teach me, how you became a clean and healthy eater...

Options
124»

Replies

• FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    - working on one habit at a time ex. healthy breakfasts, eating a fruit for a snack, etc
    - make it as simple as possible, buy prewashed, precut produce, (prepeeled garlic is my new discovery), etc.
    - read fitness, shape magazines from the library for new meal ideas
    - eat veggies. your tastebuds adapt to what you eat. choke down the good stuff if you have to, find ways to prepare it you like, but eat veggies. soon you'll really enjoy them.
    - have fun w your new hobby! :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "Clean" is subjective. Like "in moderation", it is defined differently by everyone and really means nothing until the person using it explains their definition.

When I switched from total crap, all the time, to totally healthy, all the time, I did it cold turkey. I had a ham sandwich, chips and a pickle for lunch, lol. Quick trip to the doctor, went home, did some thinking, went to the grocery store and had a reasonable amount of baked chicken and green beans for dinner.

When the theoretical stuff becomes real, it's very motivating.

I honestly don't know how people who don't have Threat Of Death hanging over their heads do it, but I'm very impressed. :)

• Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One of the things that got me on the "clean eating" bandwagon was to read books and do research and browse blogs about "real food." My health is just as important as my weight and looks. Nutrient dense foods are nourishing, and help give you glowing skin and shiny hair and strong nails and bones. I have a family history of cancer and disease, and I don't want to go down that road. So I really took time to think about how every bite I put in my mouth means something to the health and nourishment of my body. Yes, 300 calories of French Fries and 300 calories of fruit and a salad are the same 300 calories with regard to weight loss, but which one will make me look better, feel better and ward off diseases? Do some Google searches for Real Food Challenges and try it out. I did a 100 day real food challenge two summers ago and absolutely loved it. I made friends with my local farmers, I learned about GMOs, I understood the difference between organic and non-organic and read up on grass-fed and pasture-raised eggs and meat. Best of all, I tried new things like persimmons and kohlrabi and purple potatoes and heirloom tomatoes. Amazingly, when you eat fresh fruits, vegetables and pasture raised animal products, your body craves them so much. I can't even stand store-bought eggs anymore, and I'd much rather have a locally grown spinach/strawberry salad over chocolate any day of the week. It's like I can feel my body thanking me. =) Hope that helps!!!
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When I switched from total crap, all the time, to totally healthy, all the time, I did it cold turkey. I had a ham sandwich, chips and a pickle for lunch, lol. Quick trip to the doctor, went home, did some thinking, went to the grocery store and had a reasonable amount of baked chicken and green beans for dinner.

Oh, forgot to mention, I did this too. I actually got a giant box, put everything that didn't fit my new lifestyle in it and gave it away to someone who needed food.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here is what I do...consider:
    I address 2 areas that make up my health and fitness program.

1. Food Intake - I eat clean as defined by lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, beans and raw dairy. If man makes it, I try not to eat it.
    2. Exercise - both cardio and strength...and I try to engage routines that employ training I enjoy like biking, swimming, calithenics, hiking and MMA

I train about 3 hours daily with an occasional day off. I eat around 4000 calories per day.
    That's it. It worked!
    lwgtega0fleo.jpg

• KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I watched a bunch of Food documentaries like "Food Inc", "Earthlings", "King Corn", "Forks Over Knives", "SuperSize Me" and others. They really changed the way I look at what I put into my body, where it comes from, and who profits from my food choices and subsequent health issues.

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/20-must-see-food-documentaries-you-can-watch-right-now/
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I watched a bunch of Food documentaries like "Food Inc", "Earthlings", "King Corn", "Forks Over Knives", "SuperSize Me" and others. They really changed the way I look at what I put into my body, where it comes from, and who profits from my food choices and subsequent health issues.

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/20-must-see-food-documentaries-you-can-watch-right-now/

Ya, because those aren't skewed in any way shape or form and are totally honest.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just went for more food to less food. It wasn't that hard. I measured things before I shoved them down my throat.
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stop eating anything (I TOTALLY still eat pizza, creamy dressing, french fries, etc. - just much less often than I used to). I think sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves to be "perfect" when it's not necessary.

I would suggest making gradual changes to your diet, rather than trying to be so strict with yourself. For example, it would be easy to throw some veggies in with your pasta sauce when you make spaghetti, or throw veggies into your scrambled eggs in the morning. Swap out an apple for french fries. Adding fruits and veggies really helps bulk up the portion size of your meal without adding a lot of calories, and without you having to change your habits too much.

Eat out less, if you can. If you make the food yourself (even if it's burgers or pizza!), you can control the ingredients and portion size, rather than just having to guess at it. If you have to eat out, try to find places that list calorie content.

Maybe keep a running list of the foods you LOVE that are also nutritious, so you always have ideas that sound more exciting than a bag of chips. Buy this stuff and keep it around! When I was first starting out, the hardest part was to remember there WERE other awesome choices (habit is a powerful thing). :smile:
    Some snack ideas:
    - apples and peanut butter
    - fresh strawberries
    - veggies and dip
    - fruit salad
    - Nuts
    - Pita with hummus and veggies
    - string cheese