Large Red Seeded Grapes

Options
I don't have my food scale with me, so was looking up the calories for 50 large seeded red grapes (ie, the size you get at Costco). Calories vary so differently on different entries on MFP (from 150 to 900). Anyone ever do any research to confirm the calories for these types of grapes? TIA

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It varies because large is a subjective term. Meaning the definition/scope of 'large' depends on the person's opinion of what is a large grape. I don't personally know the size of the grapes at Costco, or what you're eating. That's why its best to go by weight. When that's not available you do the best you can -estimate- and move on.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Tx. But the reason I'm asking is b/c the base calories as listed in MFP (either by weight or per grape) varies so widely, so I was wondering if anyone had ever really researched it, or had a reliable source.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Try looking it up on the USDA database.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you that 50 grapes isn't 900 calories. :(
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    my guess is about 550, 150 carbs and 150 g of Sugar.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I use the entry by volume that's about 100 calories a cup. Two cups of red globe grapes is usually about 30 grapes, so maybe 350 calories for 50 grapes.

No matter how accurately you pinpoint input, output is always going to have uncertainty. Uncertainty in input doesn't bother me, as long as I can see progress over time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    .67 calories per gram is the closest thing I could find to accurate. It's USDA, so would depend on how much you trust them.

If you're going by cup, they estimate 61.64 calories to a cup.

In the MFP database, "Grapes - Raw" uses that number. When I compared my stuff to theirs, the "Grapes - Raw" came up with the same number of calories. :)