Spaghetti Squash Tips Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've never really liked spaghetti squash but with all these ideas I'm going to try it again!!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I agree with those that say under cook it a little. I microwave it most often. You can grill it too. It was so good on the grill. Much less "watery" had an almost nutty flavor too. So good!

DSC03815.JPG

Here are some of my spaghetti squash adventures:
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/01/cincinnati-chili-with-spaghetti-squash.html
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/09/bbq-spaghetti-squash-with-pulled-chicken.html
  • jenniferchew2012
    jenniferchew2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the microwave as well. Making Mexican Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Boats tonight.mmmm! No matter the different ways I make it though...I still can't get the hubby to eat it LOL
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the microwave too. I use one-half of it as a lid to the other. Mind you, the last one I got will have to be done the oven as it's too big. I love it with spaghetti sauce and shredded cheese.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've never had spaghetti squash, I am going to try it after reading this thread. Do any of you make soup with it?
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I cook them whole in the microwave. Poke holes in it with a fork and cook for about 8 minutes - turn it over and cook for another 4-6. Check to see if it's soft when you poke it with your finger (carefully, it's hot!). Let it cool for a few minutes, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and guts. Use a fork to get out the strands- so easy and so good!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I wash mine, cut it in 1/2, remove seeds, brush all of flesh part w/ Olive Oil, add Salt & Pepper.
    Bake face down w/ a little water (maybe quarter cup) at 350 for about 45 minutes.
    My husband was willing to eat this if he got to keep his traditional "meat" sauce.
    We have eaten this using Alfredo sauce as well!
    Some people say theyre able to trade out their regular side pasta for this by just adding butter, salt and pepper but we like more substance on ours.
    My husband said he was able to eat it only because he could mask it w/ the flavors of the sauce(s), otherwise he'd rather have his regular pasta, which we rarely have anyways :wink:
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I cook them whole in the microwave. Poke holes in it with a fork and cook for about 8 minutes - turn it over and cook for another 4-6. Check to see if it's soft when you poke it with your finger (carefully, it's hot!). Let it cool for a few minutes, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and guts. Use a fork to get out the strands- so easy and so good!

I do the same and it's so easy. Earlier in the week, we had lean beef stew over spaghetti squash, so good and no one seemed to miss the rice or potatoes and today I made a ragu and will have it with that.

I also like to add a 1/2 cup or so to saucy frozen lunches, makes them feel like more food but with just a few calories. I also will do squash with a little no sugar marinara like mezzetti's and then a tbs or so of part skim ricotta cheese, feels a little like lasagna but less decadent.
  • summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half, remove all the seeds, and then put in a small microwave dish. Fill the bottom half of the squash up with water (inside the space left by removing the seeds), place the other half on top and microwave for 10 minutes. Turns out perfect every time! I add garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil at the end and whatever else I want to put in it. I like mine with a homemade meat sauce or just tossed with some cherry tomatoes and wilted fresh spinach!
  • baxterroxy
    baxterroxy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can strain and dry it a bit if it is too wet. I just made this last weekend with homemade turkey meatballs and home made sauce. It was amazing! Also I find it is better if you put the sauce around the squash, rather then mix it in before serving.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    We cook ours in the microwave and like the slightly crunchy consistency. My family enjoys it with baked potato-type toppings: plain non-fat Greek yogurt, bacon bits, fresh chives, and salt & pepper.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    We cook ours in the microwave and like the slightly crunchy consistency. My family enjoys it with baked potato-type toppings: plain non-fat Greek yogurt, bacon bits, fresh chives, and salt & pepper.

I never thought about topping it like a baked potato. I have to try this. Thanks so much!