I can't stand veggies... help!

Options
Hi,

I was doing really well last year and lost 45 pounds, and then hit a snag with an injury in my ankle. I'm still suffering from it but I've gained 10 pounds back and I really want to try and get healthy again... My main problem is that I can't stand vegetables.

I've been like this my entire life. I have issues with food texture and I hate the crunchy texture of veggies. It makes me gag. The only way I can eat veggies is if I cook and hide them in something else or cook them really mushy and eat them with something else (example, eating carrots with bites of mashed potato to hide the taste). Carrots (cooked) are the only thing I've found I kind of like.

It isn't just the texture of veggies, it's also the taste. I am so jealous of people that love vegetables. It's been a struggle all my life.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced this, I'd love to hear from you.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you hate all crunchy things....or just crunchy veggies?

If you don't hate ALL crunchy things, then you can get over it in time.

Try steaming, roasting, stir frying, grilling.......also try fresh, frozen, canned. Add small amounts of veggies to soups, stews, casseroles.

Look up green smoothies.....put fruit, yogurt (or milk) and spinach (or kale)....blend everything and you can't taste the spinach.

You will find some veggies you like if you look hard enough. Will you crave veggies the same way you (well, me) crave chocolate? Of course not. Veggies are an acquired taste.
  • grandlinegirl
    grandlinegirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    GrahamSS wrote: »
    Hello,
    Can you tell me the sort of food you really do like and I will come up with some suggestions that may work for you.

Graham

Honestly, I eat like crap right now. I'm addicted to pop and sweet things. I'm a huge snacker and eat way more than I should, so I was thinking if I could find some veggie things to snack on through the day I'd feel a lot better about myself.

I love soups and hash, burgers and potatoes. Everything I shouldn't be eating. =\

• grandlinegirl
    grandlinegirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Do you hate all crunchy things....or just crunchy veggies?

If you don't hate ALL crunchy things, then you can get over it in time.

Try steaming, roasting, stir frying, grilling.......also try fresh, frozen, canned. Add small amounts of veggies to soups, stews, casseroles.

Look up green smoothies.....put fruit, yogurt (or milk) and spinach (or kale)....blend everything and you can't taste the spinach.

You will find some veggies you like if you look hard enough. Will you crave veggies the same way you (well, me) crave chocolate? Of course not. Veggies are an acquired taste.

No, I don't hate all crunchy things. I've tried roasting, stir-frying and grilling and haven't been able to find anything I like. So far steaming is the best but I have to steam them until they're really soft... Does that take everything good out of them?

Smoothies are a good option. I'll have to start with them again. I'll see if I can find some good recipes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Creamy soups are a good option. Broccoli & cauliflower blend well in soups. An immersion blender is very helpful.

You can actually mash cooked cauliflower in with mashed potatoes. Start with 1/4 cauliflower to potato....cauliflower is really mild in flavor.

Mashed rutabaga or parsnips. Parsnips have a flavor very similar to carrots.

Squash is good mashed (ok, technically a fruit).
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Try different preparations of vegetables. Growing up all veggies were boiled, then covered with butter & salt, they all tasted like the same mushy mess. Now I eat veggies all of the time, and I very rarely boil them, usually roasted, stir fried, grilled, put into soup, etc.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    Try different preparations of vegetables. Growing up all veggies were boiled, then covered with butter & salt, they all tasted like the same mushy mess. Now I eat veggies all of the time, and I very rarely boil them, usually roasted, stir fried, grilled, put into soup, etc.

Yes, keep trying different preparations of veggies. Have you tried roasted veggies with garlic and herbs?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are actually one of the healthiest things you can eat, as long as you don't put too much other stuff on them. They are a great source of potassium, which most people don't get enough of.

There are several types of fruit that aren't crunchy, so you might try getting your vegetables that way.
  • CogentLinkie
    CogentLinkie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You said you like soups, what about curries? I love curried veggies.

As for Potatoes I get almost all my carbs from them, I eat a couple pounds a day. They go great for controlling hunger so I don't binge on anything else. This guy pretty much proved that potatoes aren't as bad as everyone says: http://20potatoesaday.com/ Like TimothyFish said, it depends on what you put on the,.
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    I say green smoothies like the above posters! if you add pineapple or banana, their flavors take over everything else, and adding some cinnamon will help too with taste!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Your food tastes can be changed, and many tastes really need to be acquired. Anyone can force themselves to get used to eating something if they do it long enough.

For example, raw broccoli is probably disgusting to you right now. But if you ate raw broccoli every day eventually you'd stop being disgusted by it, and eventually you'd just completely stop minding the taste. The same goes for just about anything else (even sea urchins). If you never eat veggies b/c you never liked them, then you'll never acquire a taste for them.

• Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Options
    I am a picky eater, and I hate trying new things. But I do anyway, because my diet was ridiculously restrictive. Example: I hated tomatoes, never ate them. In reality, I had never had a tomato - I had bits in food and that was it. So I bought a couple tomatoes and cooked it up several different ways. I tried it raw (which I like, with salt) I tried it pan fried with garlic (this is my favorite) and I also tried it just boiled in with my stew (not so good) - the things about tomatoes that bothered me before were the unknown scariness of newness, and that the insides look like boogers. It still bothers me, but now I know I like tomatoes and can add them to my meals. I would suggest doing something like that with vegetables. Go to the store and once a week pick a new vegetable. Try it a number of different ways, and try to keep an open mind about it. There will be certain things you will always hate, but you will start to come across things you can tolerate or even enjoy!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You said you like soups - well make a veggie soup. You buy a low sodium broth and add frozen veggies and some pasta, bring to boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. The broth retains the good stuff from the veggies.

You can also hide veggies by chopping them and cooking them in things, like baked ziti. I didn't like sweet potatos, well I found that if cooked without adding butter or sugar I actually did like them. So sometimes it how you cook it.

FYI, Zucchini is better when cooked till soft, with onion and tomato is how I like. I don't like tomato unless they are cooked personally.

• d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One way to introduce new veggies is through a mild soup, to mute the veg flavor even more chop up a potato and include it when you add the veg:

Really easy veggie soup:
    • Dice 1 Onion & Saute in a Soup pot with a bit of Coconut or Olive oil until translucent
    • Add a few cloves of minced garlic, stir til fragrant
    • add Spices (Salt Pepper & Ginger is a good one) (Salt, Pepper & Thyme) (Salt, Pepper & Italian Herbs) (For your main spice just smell around until you find something you like, Curry, Cumin, Rosemary, etc...)
    • Add chopped veg of your choosing: Cauliflower, asparagus, butternut squash, broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, Zucchini, etc... stir to coat in spices and onions and garlic
    • pour in 1 quart/litre of stock (veg, chicken, beef, I use chicken stock 99% of the time)
    • bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 45-60 minutes
    • blend until smooth (careful it's hot!) either with immersion blender or in a pitcher blender
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am a picky eater, and I hate trying new things. But I do anyway, because my diet was ridiculously restrictive. Example: I hated tomatoes, never ate them. In reality, I had never had a tomato - I had bits in food and that was it. So I bought a couple tomatoes and cooked it up several different ways. I tried it raw (which I like, with salt) I tried it pan fried with garlic (this is my favorite) and I also tried it just boiled in with my stew (not so good) - the things about tomatoes that bothered me before were the unknown scariness of newness, and that the insides look like boogers. It still bothers me, but now I know I like tomatoes and can add them to my meals. I would suggest doing something like that with vegetables. Go to the store and once a week pick a new vegetable. Try it a number of different ways, and try to keep an open mind about it. There will be certain things you will always hate, but you will start to come across things you can tolerate or even enjoy!

^^^ I think this is a great idea!! I'm not a huge fan of veggies either. I could totally leave them on the table and go hungry! I think it's because they don't have that fattening flavors like the foods I do like. I did find that my taste buds have changed and I will try new things from time to time.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    the things about tomatoes that bothered me before were the unknown scariness of newness, and that the insides look like boogers.

This made me spit out my coffee laughing :p Tomato boogers! My mom hates tomatoes for the same reason.

I really don't have any advice for you OP, I hated veggies growing up but I started eating them as an adult and kept experimenting with different kinds and different preps and now I eat them all the time and love them. But they all have different textures and flavors to me, I have never thought of "veggies" as one thing...
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    WHY I JUICE...

m9uuh81jbrlh.png
    That's why...

I know I should eat veggies, but I won't. I kept saying I'd choke down the minimum every day, and after a few days, nope! :s

SOLUTION: I juice a full spectrum of healthy veggies with apples, berries, grapes and just about any fruit you could name. I love fruit, so this is how I get my daily supply of loathsome veggies.

I juice the fruit and then mix in the veggies with a blender as I add back in some of the fruit pulp. This gives me a great mix of taste and fiber along with all the vitamins and minerals my body needs. My wife takes the remaining fruit pulp and bakes various things we feed the kids for breakfast. NO WASTE!

My goal is to drink a half gallon every day.
    DONE!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Another way that has helped me learn to like vegetables is that I signed up for a farm CSA share this year. Basically I bought a share of a local farm, and every two weeks I get a box of a wide variety of vegetables, many of which I had never had. Since I paid a decent amount of money for it, I would challenge myself to find ways to cook all of the things we got. Until this summer I had never had chard pasta or rutabaga hash, but I actually liked most of what we came up with, and now I have a wider range of veggies to chose from.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Roast them.
    My husband now loves asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage...and pretty much anything else I toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and roast at 400...de-lish.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    So don't eat veggies. Eat what you do like. Take a vitamin and some fiber. No big deal.