I Need to Re-evaluate!

Options
ljashley1952
ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm feeling defeated. I don't want to whine, but I've been on MFP now for 30 days and I have not lost a single pound. I'm a good 35 pounds overweight, so it isn't unreasonable to expect to see even a small change. I feel like I'm doing the right things. I weigh my food carefully with a good digital scale, I've increased my activity level, I've cut way back on my portions and made good choices; and yet I have lost nothing. I've adopted the 'calories in-calories out' plan and made many small changes as well, that have apparently made no difference at all. I've allowed myself some leeway in snacking, but I've usually made up for it by eating less of something else or taking a longer walk. I feel like I have lost a few pounds. My clothes aren't so tight and look better. Other people have noticed. Now I'm thinking it's just my imagination.

Things are a little more complicated for me because I had a total knee replacement on one knee in 2009 and I need one done on the other knee. So a lot of impact and bouncing/twisting movements are out. I do some walking, a little bike riding, some stretches and light exercise at home.

I could completely cut out snacks and I could eliminate the creamer in my coffee, but I'm afraid if I do that I will simply lose interest and burn out quickly like I have in the past. I had thought that if I wasn't too rigid and allowed for a snack, I would find that I can eat healthfully, be satisfied and lose still lose weight. That doesn't seem to be happening. I'm short (5'2") and post-menopausal, so the fat sticks to me like glue. The holidays are coming up and I obviously need to do something different. I had expected a 3-4 pound loss over the first month and I'm very disappointed in myself. I need a new approach.

I'm 61 and on 1350 calories based on being slightly sedentary, although I'm not exactly sedentary, but I can't really get a good aerobic activity going and sustain it for very long.

Replies

• daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You should try swimming at a local gym and trying yoga. Remember you are in control, YOU are the captain of your soul, you can do anything and lose any amount you so desire. Keep tweaking calories down every week. What you may think is a deficit is not exactly fact. Be completely honest with yourself. When I want a little more of food I tell myself "You can have it tomorrow'', good foundation of mentality. Perhaps stair climbing, walking at a decent pace can help you with slight increase of heart rate. It also burns extra calories because of higher elevation. You should also consider Lifting Weights for your upper body, lifting burns more than people would assume. Try intermittent fasting. Fast 18hrs each day and make a 6hr eating window to eat in all your calories. This may significantly change everything for you!!! ;)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have you weighed all solid food, log everything 100% honestly/accurately? What is your calorie intake range, and what activity level do you have set for your profile?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Calorie goal? Macros? Do you use scales to weigh everything you eat?
  • Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. It's a marathon. Think of where you'll be a year from now - whether you keep this up or give up. Which place would you rather be in? You can do it!!!
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I say shake things up. 1 month is a good enough time to figure out if what you're doing is "working" or not.

Cut out the sodium, drink more water, stay away from processed foods.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You've cut back but are you actually counting calories? How are you tracking consumption? Can you open your diary?
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    celestlyn wrote: »
    I could completely cut out snacks and I could eliminate the creamer in my coffee, but I'm afraid if I do that I will simply lose interest and burn out quickly like I have in the past. I had thought that if I wasn't too rigid and allowed for a snack, I would find that I can eat healthfully, be satisfied and lose still lose weight. /quote]

This sounds like the solution to me. Dont be afraid to change.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If your clothes fit better, then something positive is happening. Sometimes, especially females, our bodies LOVE to hang onto water when we have lost fat!
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I didn't start losing anything until about 2.5 months in. I know how you feel - it was VERY frustrating...but, you have to remember everybody's body is different. Also, just because you are not losing pounds, does not mean you are not losing inches and building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't give up or lose hope. The scale will catch up with you. You just need to give it time. Also, here are a couple things that have helped me, that may help you too:

Constantly put lemon in your water. I mean, squeeze a whole lemon into your water. I split the juice from one lemon into two water bottles that are 16.9 fl oz. Lemon is a natural diuretic. Try to drink ten bottles of water a day. Retaining water could be one of the reasons the scale isn't moving for you.

MyFitness Pal, according to some, is not accurate when it comes to gauging how many calories you've burned doing a particular exercise. Recently, I've been shaving time off. What I mean is, if I do Zumba for 60 minutes. I say I only did it for 45 minutes when I record it. This way if MyFitness Pal overestimates how many calories I've burned it is no big deal. This puts a stop to overeating calories.

I hope this information has helped, and I truly wish you the absolute best on your journey. Don't give up, losing weight is going to change your life!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your clothes fitting better is progress.
    Losing weight and getting fit is simple but hard. We all know what to do.
    • Eat Clean +Calorie Deficit + Exercise = RESULTS B)
    The above equation only works when we do our part. Keep learning, gather your energy and make adjustments until you find your zone.
    Good Luck!
    <3
  • ljashley1952
    Options
    I'm totally weighing my food. I use a good digital scale and I think I'm being honest, but I think I may have to check that.

• ljashley1952
    Options
    I will totally cop to dropping the ball on the whole water thing. I'm not all that fond of drinking water, so I only manage 4-5 cups a day. That does need to change.

• ljashley1952
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    The above equation only works when we do our part. Keep learning, gather your energy and make adjustments until you find your zone.
    Good Luck!
    <3

Thank you! I will not give up. I need to make some changes and I won't stop now. Maybe I'm not brutally honest enough or under-estimating somewhere. I feel like I'm getting close to the zone. I'm feeling better and more energized, it just isn't showing up yet.

• ljashley1952
    Options
    Have you weighed all solid food, log everything 100% honestly/accurately? What is your calorie intake range, and what activity level do you have set for your profile?

I can only guess that I'm not being entirely honest or accurate because it just isn't adding up. I'm trying, but something just isn't right. I do weigh my food. I'm at 1350 and said I exercise twice a week. That exercise has been less lately with the knee acting up. I still walk, but I lack a good cardio activity that really gets the heartrate up for a sustained period of time. I'm not even sure I'm in good enough shape anymore to do that for long enough to make a difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!
    <3

Thank you! I will not give up. I need to make some changes and I won't stop now. Maybe I'm not brutally honest enough or under-estimating somewhere. I feel like I'm getting close to the zone. I'm feeling better and more energized, it just isn't showing up yet.

Actually, all you need is a calorie deficit... 'Clean' eating is optional, and exercise is for fitness not weight loss, though you will look better if you exercise while trying to lose weight.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good Luck!
    <3

Actually, it's this:

Calorie Deficit = Results

Eating clean is a personal choice and not necessary to lose weight and exercise is for fitness. Losing the weight really comes down to maintaining the calorie deficit more than anything else, by a long shot.

ETA: I should have read all the replies first, since mine echoes TavistockToad's almost eerily. :p

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    1350 calories seems a little high for someone who is 5'2". It might be sufficient to maintain your current weight, but if you want to lose weight, I would need to reduce your intake or increase your activity.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    If your clothes fit better, then something positive is happening. Sometimes, especially females, our bodies LOVE to hang onto water when we have lost fat!

This. I think separating your expectations from the scale is a good thing to do. What you are doing--eating better, getting more active--is good for you, even if it doesn't result in weight loss (although it will!), so maybe set a goal just to be as fit as you can be, independent of the weight loss.

Other than that, and giving it more time, it's likely calories. 1350 isn't likely to be too high--what does MFP say you should be losing?--but at your height and age and weight (since you don't have a huge amount to lose, even if it feels that way now) it might be a narrow enough deficit that just logging mistakes could be messing you up. As you weigh, the most likely culprit is bad MFP entries, which you have to watch out for. There's a great thread on logging which is worth reading, or you could open your diary or ask friends here to look and point out anything they see. I'll try to find the thread I mean.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be 56 next month and am around your size, 5'1.5". I "net" around 1200 (I usually eat back exercise calories). I lost 6 lbs. early on, had a plateau for a few months, and then lost a couple more. Also, the scale isn't everything; even on plateau, I lost inches, about a pant size.

At our size and age, the weight comes off more slowly because we have a smaller deficit. To lose, you need to eat fewer calories than you need every day, but for instance, a sedentary person my size and age has a BMR of around 1200; with activity, I might need 1500, so even eating only 1200 is not a huge deficit, and if I'm inactive, it's not a deficit at all. That doesn't leave a lot of room for miscalculating calorie counts. Yet, we can't go below 1000 calories to lose because that's unsafe (MFP won't even let you go below 1200). Anyway, a peek at your diary might help; you can look at mine. I typically eat a lot of food, but more low calorie and nutrient dense.