Is it REALLY possible for people to be naturally thin and never gain weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's not a positive in the way people constantly think it is. My father and both my brother and sister spent most their lives underweight. They couldn't gain no matter what. My dad however started gaining once he hit 40. So he had to start watching what he ate.

My sister ended up being put on medications to gain weight and with in about 6 months of eating how she always did, she became obese and is now trying to find that balance. And my brother is currently gaining now with medication and he's finding it's hell. He was bullied most his life for being so thin despite eating more than most. He has to eat around 4000+ each day and he finds it very hard as he can't just eat burgers and chips as he'll end up having a heart attack. He lifts weights and he has to buy more food so his diet is very expensive. It's not an easy life that people make it out to be. They still need to work out to look good.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The only reason I'm even privy to skinny people eating huge a amounts of food is when we are at social gatherings, which is an occasion when most seem to indulge. That's why we get the impression that they eat all the foods and don't gain. In the meantime I work with a couple skinny friends who either eat small portions for luncch or skip lunch. So I get a glimpse of where it evens out. They all seem to be active as well, judging by their adventures after work/during weekends.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    " I know some people can eat heaps of pizza etc and never gain any fat, have a really good body"

You dont. You saw this on a film about fairies and goblins in a world that doesnt exist.

Back on planet Earth, people who do this either exercise a lot or put on weight.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Right, I used to be quite thin, but then my diet crept up with me, I gained it. Luckily, now I am at a healthy weight range. I never dreamt of that happening to me, but it's all fine now I'm thin again. I have a friend who is literally skin and bone, naturally. Her mum is quite thin also. I think she does eat, but she is so thin. I'm pretty sure it runs in her family. However is it possible to have a body that never gains weight no matter what it consumes? I know some people can eat heaps of pizza etc and never gain any fat, have a really good body. Do you really believe they can always stay like this? is it possible to have a body like this forever?

My husband is like this - he eats whatever he wants - loads of chocolate - and never gains weight - but when he is full, he leaves the last morsel on his plate and no one can make him eat it ! I guess, his brain just tells him STOP !!! Wish mine would do the same ... :-)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that can definitely affect how much people can eat. NEAT, exercise level, muscle mass, medical conditions, etc. If someone were to follow me around all day they would be shocked at how much I consume, but once they find out more about me it makes sense. I am breastfeeding, I lift weights 4x per week, I move around a lot, etc.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't know but some always-thin friends do seem to be less "hungry" than I am. I can eat lunch 2x in 4 hours etc and they don't or can't.
    As we age though, even those friends have started to get bigger butts and hips etc--maybe from sitting around more ... getting older I guess it just happens.
  • slimwithoutgym
    slimwithoutgym Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    most skinny people I know love salad and have nice skin
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My ex was extremely skinny and about 6' (24 years old). He wouldn't eat much during the day, but at night (and almost every night, different foods but similar quantity) he'd devour an entire medium pizza and almost a pint of ben and jerry's...In addition to beer. Super unhealthy, but he always stayed slim and I was so jealous, especially because we lived together and there I was counting calories and portioning everything... Haha, it'll catch up to him one day!
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    However is it possible to have a body that never gains weight no matter what it consumes?

Yes, it is possible. I recall an article on one guy who had a medical issue and he could not gain weight. I can't remember is name, sorry. Also that medical experiment where they overfed prison inmates and some stopped gaining weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's not a positive in the way people constantly think it is. My father and both my brother and sister spent most their lives underweight. They couldn't gain no matter what. My dad however started gaining once he hit 40. So he had to start watching what he ate.

My sister ended up being put on medications to gain weight and with in about 6 months of eating how she always did, she became obese and is now trying to find that balance. And my brother is currently gaining now with medication and he's finding it's hell. He was bullied most his life for being so thin despite eating more than most. He has to eat around 4000+ each day and he finds it very hard as he can't just eat burgers and chips as he'll end up having a heart attack. He lifts weights and he has to buy more food so his diet is very expensive. It's not an easy life that people make it out to be. They still need to work out to look good.

Ok I still can't really feel sorry for them, lol.

I had a friend in high school who ate a ton, finishing people's plates at lunch, and was extremely thin. But I have no idea how much she ate the rest of the day, so...