Help with Sugar Withdrawals

Options
124»

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    People saying sugar isn't addictive...all i can say in that regard is, cocaine has been proven to not be physically addictive, but people perceive crack as being addictive, and it's the exact same thing as cocaine, which leaves the option of mental addiction. Among many other things that are considered addictive when they aren't considered addictive physically. So semantics aside...

I agree with the people who have said that you'll be okay if you can ride it out for a few days. I didn't crave sugar nearly as much after a week without it. I'm much more able to control my intake now, although I've noticed that when i eat junk, i often want more junk, lol
  • Blueseraphchaos
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Annnnnnnnnnnd......Crack cocaine comparison again. ^^^

Not like everyone else uses that comparison, thanks. A little bit of reading comprehension is in order if what you got from my post was " sugar is addictive like crack!" because what i ACTUALLY said was, crack is not physically addictive, lololololol

ETA not in those exact words, obviously, however i said that cocaine is not physically addictive, therefore crack cannot be physically addictive.

The parts of the brain that activate blah blah blah has entirely to do with pleasure centers activating, and big deal to that when tons of things activate those exact same centers.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    Did that really get flagged as "abuse?" lolololol what exactly about that post was abusive? How utterly typical.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Did that really get flagged as "abuse?" lolololol what exactly about that post was abusive? How utterly typical.

Someone flag happy is stalking this feed. Disagreement is all you need to get an abuse flag in here. Haha
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    OP, how are you feeling today? What was the reason you stopped eating sugar?

There was some good advice at the very beginning of this thing. I hope some of it helped.

What do your macros look like now without it? I found that it was easier on me if i upped my fat when I decreased sugar. It helped with the cravings tremendously.
  • sclevenger1
    sclevenger1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was only looking for advice on what has worked for others. Sorry...I didn't mean to start an argument.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was only looking for advice on what has worked for others. Sorry...I didn't mean to start an argument.

Awe. No need to apologize. It's not your fault. If you mention cutting any food on mfp, you can expect some bickering in the general forums. Lots of misinformation and difference of opinions on what works around here.

I hope you're feeling better today. If your fat macros are looking kind of low, I like to whip 2 cups of Whipping cream and 1 sugar free pudding mix together for a sweet but sugar free treat. I usually split it up into 4-8 servings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Heh, definitely not your fault. Sugar is a heated subject around here sometimes, but your post was fine.

• Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    People saying sugar isn't addictive...all i can say in that regard is, cocaine has been proven to not be physically addictive, but people perceive crack as being addictive, and it's the exact same thing as cocaine, which leaves the option of mental addiction. Among many other things that are considered addictive when they aren't considered addictive physically. So semantics aside...

I agree with the people who have said that you'll be okay if you can ride it out for a few days. I didn't crave sugar nearly as much after a week without it. I'm much more able to control my intake now, although I've noticed that when i eat junk, i often want more junk, lol

I think you need to really understand what substance abuse means, and the difference between substance and behavioural addiction.

I know what the difference is...lack of critical thinking here baffles me. I'm talking specifically about behavioral addiction, which would be what addiction to crack, cocaine, and sugar all technically are. But i give up, i knew there was a reason i stayed away from these forums.

And there's definitely nothing wrong with wanting to cut sugar, i did it for awhile and it's definitely easier to manage cravings after your basically detoxed from it...good luck, op.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

You did not start the argument. I think these people have a problem with each other from other threads.. I do not have experience with your topic, because I do not restrict anything in my diet. I only try to pay attention to my calorie #'s and macros (F/P/C). I would do as other suggested and maybe try fruits and veggies.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I loved, loved, loved sugar...still do! When I need a "fix" I eat a tablespoon of honey. It is so sweet and only 60 calories. Good luck to you!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    I have an issue with people attributing things to me that i didn't say. I am so glad i have a job and a family and yesterday is the first time I've had time to linger on the forums in forever. I have enjoyed the ridiculous private messages with disparaging comments and absolutely zero intelligent conversation in them, and I'm glad my fat *kitten* doesn't have time to do the same. Don't worry, as your ^^ journey continues, you'll be less likely to come on here, attempt to slam ppl, and then just start hitting the flag button with your tail between your legs when someone tells you you're wrong. :)

Anyway, my bad, carry on.
  • bethleahnutrition
    Options
    Gradual is the way to go if you are getting this sick! Try to cut it out at breakfast or at night. The next week, cut it out with snacks. The next week cut it out with drinks. Slowly, you will wean yourself off it, good luck!!