How did you determine your goal weight?

Options
I'm struggling with trying to determine my goal weight. I've lost over 50 pounds and the 1st goal weight that I had is obviously not low enough.....so I'm continuing down but I was wondering how ya'll have decided what your goal weight was?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    I picked a random number towards the middle of the "normal" BMI scale for my height. Not that I put much stock in BMI, but it gave me something to shoot for at least. I've lost almost 90lbs, with as much and more to go. As I get nearer, I plan to reassess based on how I look/feel and my fitness goals.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Don't pick one if you are not ready. Your goal weight may not even be what makes you happy with you get there.

Focus on your body fat percentage instead! Tell yourself you want to go from 31% bf to 24% bf (just an example)...then make that happen. Once you get to the body fat you are happy with, then the scale means nothing.

Make sure you take measurements and pics!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight I was in high school. lol
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I pulled it out of my *kitten*.

MFP required a number, so I popped in my high school weight. Although I'd certainly like to get there, I do not expect that I will. It's a loose goal. :)

I'm still too fat to really know and, like I tell people IRL, I'll know I'm done when I get there. :)
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight I used be at for most of my adult life and felt good at. Was this weight consistently for a number of years before and know it is possible for me to do it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My current goal is the weight I felt best at in my 30s (I'm mid 40s now) and maintained for some time then, so it seemed achievable. At the time I was focused on clothing size and cardio and really didn't believe that I could make much change in how my body looked or problem areas, other than just being thinner, so I never really tried to get rid of my stomach fat as much as I'd like in an ideal world or to increase my lean mass while reducing my body fat percentage (again, other than by losing weight).

As a result, I might well revise the goal when I get there or closer to it (it's about 16 lbs away now, although depending on how I look I might drop down 5-10 lbs more), and make this a longer process, although one not focused on the number on the scale at all but ultimately on improving body fat percentage and lean mass.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for a 20.8 BMI because that's 149 lbs because there's just something about being under 150. I'm 5'11. I believe I was that weight in high school/early college and felt awesome.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I picked a range (for me 120-135lbs), that is within a healthy BMI (nothing too extreme) and referenced what I've weighed in the past. I'll reevaluate further down the road. I may arrive at my goal weight and then focus on lower BMI, increasing LBM and body recomposition.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I focus on my body fat %.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've seen charts that say I should be 190 or less, but I've been 190 and I looked way to thin. 208 is a healthier weight for me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    BMI then I will reassess
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I choose a round number right in the middle of the healthy BMI range at 21.5. As it happens, it was actually right for me. When I got there, I decided whether I looked/felt OK.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I chose the lightest I had been since giving birth...got there realized I could be smaller...reset it.....got there, tried maitenance for a while...still lost...realized I had a higher maitenance but was 5lbs from my now gw of 145 so though why not...

But for me it's not weight really....it's how I look in the mirror and to be frank after this next 1.5lb I am done looking at the scale and gonna go to maitenance for at least 6 months and still lift and see what that does for the mirror...
  • denise31992
    denise31992 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound dumb, but I picked the weight I was when I left high school 4 years ago.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I choose the high end of my BMI because since I was a teenager I was never petite and always more of a muscular build and was never close to the lighter end of my BMI. I figured if I can get to the high end of my BMI, HOLY COW, then I can adjust from there. If I'm meant to be smaller then I should be able to feel it out then.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was never able to come up with a number. I waited until my weight loss slowed down and then added about 10% to the total loss. I did this based on seeing many comments here about the last 10% being the hardest. You'll know when you get there :smile:
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I picked the number that my hubby said I look the best at.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Right now mine is set for just into the healthy range for me on the BMI chart. HOWEVER< it is just an arbitrary number for now. I've never been a healthy weight, so I don't know what is best for me, I'll re-assess once I'm closer.

20350194.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I went for right in the middle of healthy weight for my height. Wouldn't worry about it though, this changes as you go.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I picked the weight I was in high school. lol

Me too. I didn't think I was small then, but now it would be wonderful to be that size now. Once I get there if I'd like to lose more then I can readjust my goal.