Eat it all or save some for 'Mr Manners'?

Options
When I was growing up, my mum always encouraged us to eat everything on our plates. However, when we visited my grandmother, she would tell us to leave a little for 'Mr Manners'.

Now, my mum was overweight and my grandmother was skinny. I really wish I'd listened more to my grandmother!

I am now trying to eat just enough, rather than that extra mouthful that makes me feel full.

What do you do? xx

Replies

• scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    When I was a kid I always used to leave some on my plate, it became such a habit that I could never eat everything even if there was only one mouthful left! I haven't been doing that so much since I left home - maybe that's why I'm on here!!!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i have a teenage daughter and still find myself shoveling down her leftovers. İ hate waste and she is very wasteful -i was always told to clear my plate or i couldnt leave the table-i remeber sitting for hours when cauliflower was on the menu-now i love it!
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My mum has said that she really regrets making me eat everything on my plate - I came from a house that had desert every night after the meal and we werent allowed to have desert unless we ate all our dinner - she says she wishes she never did that now.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There's a lot that could be brought up in this question. Personally, I'm a binge eater and seeing that other posters were forced to eat their dinner as a child is so horrible to me! (Now don't get me wrong, if child refuses to eat healthy because they want ice cream, that's a different matter.) Cleaning your plate teaches you NOT to trust your body and helps promote over eating. Also, rewarding children with food (dessert) compounds the issue.

So, I kind of agree with your mom's regret, leelu. My grandparents are plate scarfers and seeing how I grew up with that I'm amazed that I'm the last one finished (but that's probably some silly trick I've devised in my head to feel like I fit in with the skinny people). What I've started seeing on here a lot is that many of us lost the connection with our bodies (and I did too in a major way!).

Anyway, I think sometimes you need to eat it all and sometimes Mr. Manners needs some too. It just depends on what Miss Tummy tells you she needs at that time.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    growing up poor.................and not having food to eat at some times of my childhood.........caused me to eat like a queen once I was married and could afford food.

I gained 68 pounds from start to finish. Now grant you I was too thin to start with, so let's say 40 pounds of fat.

This was from celebrating everything with food!

Good grades?? Chocolate Cake
    Promotion??? Filet Mignon at my fav place to eat.

Leave food on the plate? No freaking WAY I was doing that!

So how did I stop the madness??? I weigh everything...........weigh and portin out each thing. I was amazed that there are 4 servings in a box of mac and cheese! AMAZED....................and even more amazed that I could eat 1/2 cup with 4 oz of chicken breast and 1 cup of brocolli and be full and satiated.

I hope you do well on this journey. You have come to the right place, and have the perfect attitude..........."Ask and Learn!"

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    My mom was the same way growing up. I generally still clean my plate to this day, there is just a HUGE difference as far as how much food is on it.... :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My mom was the same way growing up. I generally still clean my plate to this day, there is just a HUGE difference as far as how much food is on it.... :laugh:

there ya go......that is all I was trying to say. Dang, my mom kissed the blarney stone with me:laugh:
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    I changed the way I cook. Instead of just cooking lots of food and then having the dilemma of wasting it or eating too much, I now cook only what I am going to eat. If we only need 4 burgers then I make exactly four burgers. Cut only the amount of fruit and veggies needed for the meal. For those meals that simply make lots of food like a lasagna, take one appropriate portion size and then put the rest in the fridge.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    No more "happy plates" in our family!
    My hubs pushed hard when our babies were babies

What opened my eyes?
    My daughter hated meat...loved veggies and fruits.
    My son hated fruits and veggies...loved meat.

so I really started paying attention to what was better for them. Now our main "meat" isn't red at all, but chicken and ground turkey, so the boys can eat as much AS they do veggies! ha ha....
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I most often eat everything on my plate.....but instead of it being as much as I can fit on a plate heaped 12 inches high and eating it all. I weigh all my food or eat the appropriate 1/2 cup -1 cup serving and count every calorie possible.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    i have a teenage daughter and still find myself shoveling down her leftovers. İ hate waste and she is very wasteful -i was always told to clear my plate or i couldnt leave the table-i remeber sitting for hours when cauliflower was on the menu-now i love it!

I remember that as a child as well on!ly with fish. With my 3 year old, she has to TRY everything on her plate, but if she hates it she doesn't have to finish it and when she's full, she's done. I also worry that my having to clean my plate as a child lead to bad habits and I want her to have a healthy eating perspective