Things that make you go HMMMMM....

Options
So last week I was at the gym and saw something that kind of made me chuckle.... A lady came in who is a regular and jumped on the elliptical. She is there every day on the same machine doing the same workout. What struck my funny bone was; I notice that she is toting a 44 oz soda (most likely Mt Dew) with her. She takes a huge swig and puts it in the cup holder and goes on with her work out. She does this every day that I notice her there. Then yesterday, a guy gets on the treadmill next to me and what does he have??? Yes, a giant soda! So my question is; is there some new trend that I don't know about? or are these people completely defeating their purpose.... and let me make it clear that I am not judging (to each his own) they may allow themselves that one giant soda pop a day and figure they can burn it off during an hour of mediocre exercising...I just think it is so very odd and some what comical!!!

Replies

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's diet soda? Crystal Light?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda every day. No impact on my weight - though honestly I do not want soda when I'm working out. Only water seems 'appetizing' then.

*I do make a major effort now to drink water, which indirectly cuts back my soda consumption.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Yes, they could just be re-using the bottles. I noticed a large billboard ad the other day with the picture of a gigantic Big Gulp with the word "refreshment!" next to it. Ummm, hardly. Then, in smaller letters I see they are advertising Vitamin Water.

Or, some people just like their soda and don't feel it's unhealthy. I'm with you though, OP, I cringe when I see people get on the cardio equipment for 15 or 20 min. and then go get a Gatorade from the machine. They probably just drank more calories than they burned. But, then again, maybe that's not their goal? To each their own.
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmm lol
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I saw an ad on MTV yesterday for soft drink. It showed active people and said the more you do, the more soda you can have. Their ad kept saying it was all about balance. Then it gave a hashtag - I don't remember what it was. I was like WOW! Is this the message we want to send our kids? They already don't understand nutrition as it is. BTW I think soda is the devil. >:)
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    A really bulked up guy once told me at the gym to have a coke or something with sugar and caffeine before going to the gym, apparently it would give me more energy. I imagine people that rely heavily on glucose for energy probably can't have a very long workout without replenishing their glucose levels every so often. I remember I used to get dizzy after 20 minutes of Zumba, after lowering sugar and carbs I can now run for an hour with only water in my system.

Or maybe it's just water in there... you should ask them and report back. I'm curious too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    People who are too busy looking at everyone else in the gym instead of concentrating on their workout and then post about it on a forum chastizing them usually make me go

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    People who are too busy looking at everyone else in the gym instead of concentrating on their workout and then post about it on a forum chastizing them usually make me go

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

BAM!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Unless I see someone open a clearly labeled container I never presume to guess what they're drinking.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's just chit-chat... you can see people when you're done with your workout and before you start.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I dump my Powerade Zero into a Sonics cup so that I can use the ice. But Judge-y McJudgersons typically use jumping to conclusions as their main form of exercise.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's just chit-chat... you can see people when you're done with your workout and before you start.

Exactly. The OP said she was just curious; not scrutinizing other people.
    Also, some of us are just highly observant. I notice a LOT of things about other people, regardless of where I am, whether I want to or not. My husband, however, is the complete opposite. He hasn't a clue of others around him. It's just a personality trait.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My boss goes to 7-11 every day and gets one of the huge cups and fills it...with crushed ice. I'm not kidding. You'd think you could do that at home but she likes theirs. Our coworker made a snarky comment about how if she was really serious about losing weight my boss wouldn't get those every day. Oh the smack down that was laid down. Haha.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Oh, I notice other people. I just don't assume I know what's in their cups. :bigsmile:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Oh, I notice other people. I just don't assume I know what's in their cups. :bigsmile:

This. I also don't post my assumptions on a public forum.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I notice everyone. I don't understand why some people say they don't. How can you walk into a gym full of people and not notice a single person doing anything? To me, that is truly a sign of being psychotic. That's a serious sociopathic problem. It is normal to see and notice what others are doing. If someone is wielding a gun or something. I mean, that's where it comes from. It is a natural response to notice your environment. People that say they don't, are just lying, and enjoy putting others down, who admit that they do notice others. It's that simple.

What makes me go hmmmm is the assumption, judgement and posting it on a public forum...

Do I notice people? not when I am working out nope nor before or after too busy for that....does that make me psychotic....no other things do.

• stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a 44oz cup on my desk at work from BP. I drink about 3 of them a day and my cup has water in it. I prefer a styrofoam cup to keep it colder longer and not have a sweating cup but I haven't had any soda for almost 3 months. I get what you're saying but there is no way to know to know that it is soda let alone of what variety.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My boss goes to 7-11 every day and gets one of the huge cups and fills it...with crushed ice. I'm not kidding. You'd think you could do that at home but she likes theirs. Our coworker made a snarky comment about how if she was really serious about losing weight my boss wouldn't get those every day. Oh the smack down that was laid down. Haha.

Hahaha exactly my point :wink: