Exercise, diet or both?!

I have I clue about weight Loss really this is why I have joined, what if I ate in a deficit with no exercise would I loose weight? (Look at my photos I want to loose around 8lbs-1st) I don't see how I can loose weight without an yexercise? Although I am doing it 3-5 times a week in a gym, I'm aching and tired whilst I'm doing the exercise, I have just walked out of the gym and my muscles aren't aching nor am I out of breath so is this even making a difference?

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    You need both. You need the right amount of proper calories to fuel your body to get through your workouts so that you maximize your results to promote weight loss. While proper nutrition is a HUGE part of it, you have to incorporate exercise.
  • dlj1405
    dlj1405 Posts: 66 Member
    You need both. You need the right amount of proper calories to fuel your body to get through your workouts so that you maximize your results to promote weight loss. While proper nutrition is a HUGE part of it, you have to incorporate exercise.

Do you think 1300 calories a day with exercise burning off about 300 minimum to 500 maximum doing cardio 4 or 3 times a week is ok?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    BOTH.

Eat less, move more.

Calorie deficit can be achieved thru eating less. However, exercise will allow you to eat more, it will allow you to keep more lean muscle, it will be better for your overall health.

Losing weight thru exercise only is tough. You may find exercise makes you hungry, you may think you are burning more than you actually are.

Exercise should challenge you. I can walk 5 miles at a slow pace....that is activity. If I want walking to have a cardiovascular effect, I need to push it.
  • TeaBea
    dlj1405 wrote: »

Do you think 1300 calories a day with exercise burning off about 300 minimum to 500 maximum doing cardio 4 or 3 times a week is ok?

No, it's very likely not a good plan. Your body is burning calories 24/7 (without exercise). If you eat 1300 and add exercise for 300...this gives your body 1,000 calories to work with. If your body doesn't have enough fuel (consistently) you will lose fat+ lean muscle.

You want a moderate deficit. This is based upon your height, weight, age, etc. Look up BMR & TDEE.....plan on eating a number between these two values.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Obese people can eat very low calorie and keep lean muscle....you don't appear obese to me.

• dlj1405
    TeaBea wrote: »

No, it's very likely not a good plan. Your body is burning calories 24/7 (without exercise). If you eat 1300 and add exercise for 300...this gives your body 1,000 calories to work with. If your body doesn't have enough fuel (consistently) you will lose fat+ lean muscle.

You want a moderate deficit. This is based upon your height, weight, age, etc. Look up BMR & TDEE.....plan on eating a number between these two values.

Obese people can eat very low calorie and keep lean muscle....you don't appear obese to me.

I used the link you just sent it said: BMR is 1375 and TDEE is 1890? What's this mean
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member

I used the link you just sent it said: BMR is 1375 and TDEE is 1890? What's this mean

BMR (basal metabolic rate) is how much your body burns just to keep you alive, fuel your breathing, heartbeat, brain activity, etc. TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is approximately how much you burn on a daily basis, taking into account your activity level.

You can lose weight on a caloric deficit alone (though 1000-1300 calories per day is generally too low to maintain good health and is hard to sustain long term), but exercise will help your overall fitness level.
  • TeaBea

BMR (basal metabolic rate) calories your body uses if you do nothing at all (coma). TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) should include planned exercise. TDEE = maintenance. You need 500 less than maintenance to lose 1 pound a week. A 20% cut is fairly standard...that's 378 calories less than TDEE (or 1,512 calories).

As you get closer to goal you need to lower your weekly goal. 1/2 pound a week is recommended for those with less than 15 pounds to lose.
  • dlj1405

BMR (basal metabolic rate) is how much your body burns just to keep you alive, fuel your breathing, heartbeat, brain activity, etc. TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is approximately how much you burn on a daily basis, taking into account your activity level.

You can lose weight on a caloric deficit alone (though 1000-1300 calories per day is generally too low to maintain good health and is hard to sustain long term), but exercise will help your overall fitness level.

I just kind of need someone to tell me what's best lol so with those figures I just stated and based in the fact I will aim to exercise 3-4 times a week, how many calories should I be aiming for?
  • dlj1405

BMR (basal metabolic rate) calories your body uses if you do nothing at all (coma). TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) should include planned exercise. TDEE = maintenance. You need 500 less than maintenance to lose 1 pound a week. A 20% cut is fairly standard...that's 378 calories less than TDEE (or 1,512 calories).

As you get closer to goal you need to lower your weekly goal. 1/2 pound a week is recommended for those with less than 15 pounds to lose.

I have been fine the past 2 weeks consuming around 1400-1450 calories a day, will this be ok for e then or do I have to increase my intake?

• karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Since its only 8 lbs you are trying to lose....probably try 10% - 15% off your TDEE ....so around 1701 or 1607 calories per day (while exercising). You do not eat calories back with the TDEE method...
  • dlj1405
    karenj_m wrote: »
    Since its only 8 lbs you are trying to lose....probably try 10% - 15% off your TDEE ....so around 1701 or 1607 calories per day (while exercising). You do not eat calories back with the TDEE method...

Thank you It's all a little confusing me lol, I have been eating around 1400 the past 2 weeks and I just feel as though if I eat anymore then it's too much lol but if I can that's good :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You can lose weight with diet alone, but it really isn't the best route. It's really all about energy balance...calories are just a unit of energy...and you need XXXX calories per day to maintain the status quot. Someone who is more active generally, and/or works out regularly, etc is going to have a higher energy requirement than someone who is sedentary...thus, someone who is more active can eat more than someone who is sedentary and achieve the same weight control goals.

Here's an example using my numbers. To lose about 1 Lb per week without any exercise, I would only be allotted around 1,850 calories per day. This is because my maintenance (Total Daily Expenditure...TDEE) without exercise is only around 2,350...thus consuming 1,850 calories would give me a 500 calorie per day deficit.

Now lets say I throw exercise into the mix and lets say I burn around 4,000 calories per week with exercise...that equates to roughly 570 calories per day over a weeks time...so now, I could eat around 2,400 calories per day to still lose that same 1 Lb per week...because now my maintenance number includes exercise and would jump from 2,350 calories to 2,900 calories per day.

Beyond that, exercise is just plain good for you on so many levels....and really, it is necessary for optimal health.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    I only ever loose with both.

Except when i did Keto. Then i lost without exercising, but i was legit starving the whole time... never again.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited October 2014
    If your ONLY goal is to lose weight, you can do that without exercise. If your true goal is to have a healthy body composition (lean tissue, strong bones and muscles, healthy cardio paths, etc.) you will need to include exercise as part of a healthy life style. What you eat daily matters too. Many argue that a calorie in equals a calorie out. However, I subscribe to the school of thought that fueling your body with 1,300 calories (for example) of lean proteins, lots of fresh veggies, and complimented with fruit or whole grains will yield better results. In addition to the fuel the calories provide, you need to satisfy your nutrients levels to burn calories in the best possible manner. I promise if you eat 1,300 calories of protein and veggies you will feel and perform better than if you eat 1,300 calories of donuts.

I'd suggest keeping it simple. Start with around 1,300-1,500 calories WITH regular exercise, eating "good for you foods". If you stick to that and lose too much or too little, adjust the number by +/- 100 to 200 per day. Give yourself a couple weeks before adjusting though.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. You can create this calorie deficit by eating less, or by moving more, or by a combination of them both. Of course exercise has other health benefits so it is advisable to exercise if you are able.