45 Grams of Protein Per Day?

Options
Help! How do I keep my protein to 45 grams per day? Any suggestions? I keep going over.

Replies

• tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over on your protein. Protein is essential for muscle gains and keeps, not to mention it's slow releasing to digestion so it keeps you full longer. Plus, I would say 45g a day is pretty low anyway.
  • ajstaudt
    ajstaudt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    45 grams per day is ridiculously low.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    im eating like 150 !!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    treat protein as a minimum, not a maximum.
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    I agree. It is low. I try to eat around 100 a day when I can. Or More!!! I think MFP sets it too low. Don't worry about going over 45!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 100 for dinner alone every day.

Unless your like 60 lbs...that's not enough.

Could you open up your diary? It would be very helpful in knowing what you are set up with.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat between 150-175 g of protein a day!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    MFP set protein really low (I believe 15%), I would recommend changing it to at 30%. Protein is essential for maintaining muscle during weight loss. More muscle means more calories burned. :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Help! How do I keep my protein to 45 grams per day? Any suggestions? I keep going over.

OP just joined MFP today and this was her first post. I am guessing OP is a troll.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options

OP just joined MFP today and this was her first post. I am guessing OP is a troll.

Is this your final answer?
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I get 80 grams per meal
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100 minimum a day. Some days I have trouble reaching it and somedays I manage 120 or 130 with ease. 45 is too low for most people.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over protein. I try to get over 100 grams a day.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I shoot for around 120 grams a day to help minimize loss of LBM. Don't sweat going over, MFP sets it insanely low.

Pretty much all of the knowledgeable people on here who have quite a bit of muscle mass and have maintained it well have said this, they are who I am deferring to in this issue :flowerforyou:
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options

pretty sad that your immediate thought is 'troll' rather than 'newbie'
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I shoot for around 120 grams a day to help minimize loss of LBM. Don't sweat going over, MFP sets it insanely low.

Pretty much all of the knowledgeable people on here who have quite a bit of muscle mass and have maintained it well have said this, they are who I am deferring to in this issue :flowerforyou:

I shoot for a minimum of 120'ish grams a day also - preferably 130g, depending on the circumstances.

Treat the protein as a minimum and I would actively try to seek going over by quite a bit, especially assuming you are in a caloric deficit and/or exercising.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well I think it has been covered with Protein as a min not a max. However if you are using the MFP macros for protein, carbs and fat. The protein seems to be very low and carbs very high, you can manually change your macros to whatever you like. When I am good with my diet, I try to have my protein to around 130 - 150 grams a day.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    45 grams is way too low, my goal is to go over a 100 grams a day.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that I saw this thread because I didn't realize I could change MFPs protein goal. Now I'm curious, is setting it to something like 35-40% too high? For reference, for me, 40% comes out to be 200 grams.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    that is likely to be excessive for a female. 08-1g/lb should suffice in most cases.