Breakfast or no breakfast?

Options

Replies

• JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    JZ_Evolution_Mark2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can argue all you like. I have done this and have several friends I have helped lose the weight and become healthy with my help.. It is proven and true. All are healthy and fit.. and even do Spartan races now (or other events)...
    I wouldnt say something that isnt true and that isnt proven. You cant always believe what you read. If you dont believe me then try it for yourself.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can argue all you like. I have done this and have several friends I have helped lose the weight and become healthy with my help.. It is proven and true. All are healthy and fit.. and even do Spartan races now (or other events)...
    I wouldnt say something that isnt true and that isnt proven. You cant always believe what you read. If you dont believe me then try it for yourself.

^science
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Just because you eat breakfast doesn't mean everyone needs to. Some people become ill eating early. Some people follow 16:8 IF and won't eat until after noon. And some people only eat once a day. Meal timing is a personal preference and has nothing to do with losing weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You should always eat breakfast. When you dont eat breakfast you are increasing the amount of time that your body is going without food. Therefore you are training it to starve. Which in turn will affect your metablism... as your body will feel the need to hord all the food and store it as FAT... which is what you DONT want.
    You should always eat breakfast.. and the majority of your Carbs shouls be eaten in the morning and then as few as possible during the day... This is because Carbs are the bodies fuel for the day.. if you eat them early you have time to burn them off.. by eating carbs at night and late in the day you dont have a chance to burn them off (unless you do crazy cardio at the gym).. which will mean your body will store them as fat!!

So in summary, YES PLEASE DO EAT BREAKFAST EVERY MORNING

the broscience is strong in this one….

meal timing and metabolism have zero correlation ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Not really. Actually it is science and I have lived it... I was 70 pounds over weight and diabetic.. and by changing eating habits, diet and working out I have turned this around. One of my biggest mistakes was not eating breakfast.

Think about the logic... when you sleep you are fasting.. (8 hours or so of sleep)... which means your body is not intaking any food so although its at rest it still is using calories for basic function... So if you wake and dont eat you're only extending the amount of time your body going without food.
    What you're saying is that without normal eating habits you can teach your body that it will recieve the needed nutrients.. THIS IS WRONG.. your body WILL store everything it can in an effort to not starve. I could get into the digestive cycle but wont here.
    I am 100% sure of what I'm saying. You are absultely WRONG in saying that its a preference... You NEED to have nirmal eating habits to train your body and increase your metabolism... Also you can ot eat garbage.

If you like I can explain the chemistry to you as well... I am VERY versed in science

what does it matter if you sleep for eight hours and then fast another two years..are you really saying that those extra two hours, or even four hours, will put you into starvation mode?????

come on man …

and you lost 70 pounds because of CICO not because of some magical meal timing regimen...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You should always eat breakfast. When you dont eat breakfast you are increasing the amount of time that your body is going without food. Therefore you are training it to starve. Which in turn will affect your metablism... as your body will feel the need to hord all the food and store it as FAT... which is what you DONT want.
    You should always eat breakfast.. and the majority of your Carbs shouls be eaten in the morning and then as few as possible during the day... This is because Carbs are the bodies fuel for the day.. if you eat them early you have time to burn them off.. by eating carbs at night and late in the day you dont have a chance to burn them off (unless you do crazy cardio at the gym).. which will mean your body will store them as fat!!

the broscience is strong in this one….

meal timing and metabolism have zero correlation ...

lol...this made me chuckle :smile:

well I stole it from someone else on the threads, so I can't take 100% credit for that one..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    b3fc96e813bfb7d38126ba5e51d0948d20e050dc6f6b5d4e8eee64920aad5f69.jpg

MarvelScientists.jpg

LOL ….
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    b3fc96e813bfb7d38126ba5e51d0948d20e050dc6f6b5d4e8eee64920aad5f69.jpg

MarvelScientists.jpg

bill_murray_ghostbusters.gif
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

You are making the classic mistake of confusing a correlation with a causation. You lost weight because you consumed less calories than you ate. The fact you did it eating breakfast every day and all the rest is irrelevant in terms of weight loss. It may have assisted your compliance with a calorie deficit, but in itself the meal timing and frequency made no difference. If you take people and divide them into groups and put them all on the same number of calories but one group has 6 meals the day and the other has say 1 or 2, the overall weight loss will be the same. What matters is calories in versus calories out.

There are several studied done on meal timing which I happen to have on hand, although there are likely newer ones as well, and all of them point to the same thing, when you eat does not matter. They did everything from one meal a day to several meals a day. In 2007 Stote et al in the A Journal of Clinical Nutrition did a study of people half the group eating one meal a day (dinner in early eveing). The other half did three meals a day. After the test time they let the whole group eat as they normally would for 11 weeks to normalize their eating pattern, then the switch the groups around. The study time was 8 weeks, and they were eating enough to maintain their body weight. The results, 3 meals a day no change in weight. 1 meal a day lost 3 pounds and an average of 4.6 pounds of fat (probably because it is difficult to eat all your calories in one meal). That is not old science, it is recent. When you eat makes no difference. See also Smeets et al British Journal of Nutrition 2008 finding no metabolic rate change between 2 or 3 meals a day; and Farshchi et al Am Jrnl of Clinical Nutrition 2005 using 3, 6 or 9 meals a day again finding no change in metabolic rate.

The multiple meals a day may help you feel more satisfied, it may, but it will do nothing to significantly increase your calorie burning. I believe the numbers for calories burned for 100 calories of protein is like 10. You would be better off not eating that rather than thinking eating something will help you lose weight.

As Parks et al say in their article in the Am Jrnl of Clinical Nutrition, "Simply put, the question of whether there is a health benefit from the consumption of multiple small meals will ultimately depend on how much energy is consumed, as opposed to how often or how regularly one eats."

So to the OP, eat with the pattern that helps you stick to your daily calorie goal best.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    IMO...eat if you are hungry, don't eat breakfast if you aren't.

For real. I don't know why breakfast threads annoy me so much. They're on par with TOM threads for me but I understand some people are just reaalllly into breakfast, I guess.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    IMO...eat if you are hungry, don't eat breakfast if you aren't.

For real. I don't know why breakfast threads annoy me so much. They're on par with TOM threads for me but I understand some people are just reaalllly into breakfast, I guess.

i hate when people say it is the "most important meal of the day" or "it stokes the metabolism" ….give me a break..as if your metabolism is something you can reach out and touch ...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I feel like I'm reading bodybuilding.com circa 2008
    what_year_is_it.jpg

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    <~~~wakes up at 6 am, doesn't eat breakfast until noon. Loses 53 lbs, goes from 32% BF to 17%

p1nasu9svbsz.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Where Steve at?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Where Steve at?

Anxiously awaiting his Google image avi.