Share your Favorite Soup Recipes!

Options
So I'm feeling in the mood for cozy, comfy soup. Last fall/winter as things started to get cold, I fell off the eating well/tracking wagon. This year my goal is to track everything for 365 days (150 days in, 24 pounds down so far) and not let winter throw me off this year!!! So I've decided to make healthy soups on Sunday afternoons and portion out quick and easy soup lunches for the week. I like to eat between 300-400 calories per meal with at least 20 grams of protein (ideally).

I'll start. I love hamburger soup!

Ingredients
2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 whole Large Onion, Diced
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
1 can (14.5 Ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes
3 cups Beef Stock Or Beef Broth, Plus More As Needed
1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
4 whole Carrots, Peeled And Sliced On The Diagonal
3 Potatoes, Cut Into Chunks
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt (more To Taste)
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, More To Taste
2 teaspoons Dried Parsley Flakes
1/2 teaspoon Ground Oregano
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (more To Taste)

Preparation Instructions

In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the meat with the onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Remove the pot from the heat and drain off as much fat as you can. (Discard the fat once it cools.)
Return the pot to the heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, then cover the pot and simmer the soup for 15-20 more minutes, until potatoes are tender but not overly mushy.
Soup should be somewhat thick, but if you'd like it to be more "soupy," add 1 to 2 cups more broth OR hot water and heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt if needed. Makes 12 servings.

adapted to my own tastes from thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/01/hamburger-soup

What are you cold-day soup recipes?

Also, seeking more myfitnesspal

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Dear Daughter just created my new favorite -

Butternut squash and coconut soup

3 lb more or less butternut squash
    1 15 oz can coconut milk
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cinnamon

Peel, dice, and cook the butternut till soft. Drain off some extra liquid.
    Mash slightly until lumpy. Or puree it if you prefer that texture.
    Add coconut milk, lime juice, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
    Warm to serving temp.
    Adjust the spices to taste. They should be just noticeable, not strong like pumpkin pie.

Though I'll admit, hamburger soup is good, too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Minestrone http://food.com/recipe/copycat-olive-garden-minestrone-soup-77585
    Fassolatha http://greek.food.com/recipe/fassolatha-170923
    Lemon Lentil soup http://tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-lentil-soup
    Tomato soup
    Potato soup
    Italian Wedding Soup
    Vegetable Beef Soup
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Beef Stew
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt divided
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper divided
    2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 onion sliced into half moons
    4 potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
    5 carrots cut into 1-inch chunks
    2 celery stalks sliced
    1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
    1 3/4 cup beef broth
    in a large bowl mix together flour 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper add beef and stir until evenly coated place beef in slow cooker and add remaining ingredients including remaining salt and pepper cover and cook on High 4 to 5 hours or on Low 8-10
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    mmm, love beef stew. Have yet to find a lentil soup I like, but have not tried a lemon one, so perhaps I'll try some recipes out this winter.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This is by far my favorite soup. I made a triple batch for a work potluck earlier this week and was told (by a few people) that it was absolutely tasty.

http://iowagirleats.com/2013/01/28/chicken-wild-rice-soup/
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This is one I make almost weekly during the winter. Only 167 calories per 2 cup serving.

Vegetable Beef Soup

1/2 pound lean stew meat or small piece of round steak
    1 small onion, diced
    3-4 stalks celery, diced
    3-4 regular, long carrots, sliced
    2 medium potatoes, diced (sweet potatoes work well)
    Any assortment of diced squash, turnips or parsnips
    1 small package frozen peas or one 14 oz can peas
    One 14 oz can cut green beans, do not drain
    One 14 oz can whole kernal corn, not drained
    One 14 oz can diced tomatoes, not drained
    One small can tomato paste (Do not substitute plain tomato sauce. The tomato paste gives it a depth and richness that is lacking when tomato sauce is used instead.)
    3 Tbsp powdered beef flavoring. (I get mine in the bulk bins at Winco. It is slightly moist and packs and feels a lot like brown sugar.)
    Add spices to your liking: cumin, coriander, oregano, tarragon, basil, pepper.
    8 cups water.

In a LARGE pot, brown beef, celery and onion. When cooked through, remove beef, let it cool, dice into small chunks and add it back into the pot. Add the can of tomato paste and two cups water. Stir and simmer for 30 minutes. While that is cooking, chop and put into a large bowl, all of the fresh vegetables (potatoes, squash, carrots, parsnips, turnip...etc.). When the beef, celery and onions have cooked for 30 minutes, add the chopped fresh vegetables, and then add the canned and/or frozen vegetables. The pot will be about half full of veggies. Add the 8 cups of water, beef flavoring, and spices, stir and bring to a boil. Allow to boil gently for another 30 minutes and reduce to simmer and cook for an hour. This recipe makes about a gallon to 5 quarts. Can be frozen and used later if desired.

• ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Another favorite:

White Bean Chicken Chili

2 chicken breast halves or 6 chicken tenders
    3 cans (16oz) white beans (navy, great northern)
    2 cans low-sodium chicken comsumme
    1 can coconut milk
    I small can green chiles
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp chili powder

Brown chicken breasts or tenders in large pot, then add 1 cup water and saute until cooked through. Remove chicken from pot, cool and then chop into small pieces then return to pot. Add chicken broth, beans, green chiles, garlic and chili powder. Bring to boil and allow to boil slightly for 20 minutes. When nearly done, add the coconut milk. Serve hot and garnish with a sprig of cilantro and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I made black bean soup the other day. Yummy!

4 cans black beans rinsed and drained or a pound of dry
    Simmered in 4 cups of chicken broth plus 2 cups of water with a bay leaf (30 min for canned or till cooked for dry)
    In a skillet, sautee 1 cup diced onion till soft
    Add 2 T minced garlic
    1T paprika
    1.5 t ground cumin
    1.5 t dried oregano
    1 t ground coriander
    .5 t cayenne
    And a pinch each salt and sugar
    Till very fragrant, be careful not to burn the garlic

Deglaze with 1 T red wine vinegar and 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with jalapeños and their juice.

Serve with shredded cheese and pico de gallo. So easy and yummy!
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Chicken Enchilada Soup
    http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup-recipe/

I hate black beans so substitute with white beans and double them, I double the chicken, and I'm thinking about adding more enchilada sauce. I also use Mexican flavored chicken stock. So my version ends up more of a stew, nice and thick and filling.