Protein powder after exercising

Options
kjarvo
kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
I've been reading (and heard 'drink your recovery formula on Insanity) that you should ideally drink your protein powder within 20 minutes of finishing your workout. I am not currently using protein powder but I wonder if that notion is applicable to all foods. Should I ideally be eating my meal after I exercise, as it will contain SOME protein, or should I eat it before for the carbs and then have something protein-y like a glass of milk afterwards? I am not looking to build muscle necessarily, but I would like to get stronger for gymnastics.
Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough protein in general, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    "If" you want a cheap recovery drink (same ratios as the one they are trying to sell you)....

drink 1 cup of low fat chocolate milk :) carb to protein ratio is the same........... its even on their Beachbody boards :)

• Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ideally all your daily intake of food (or at least 90% ) should be within 15-20 minutes after the workout. Otherwise the food is stores as fat, but after the eercise you muscles are hungry so it uses it straight for muscle gains.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just read the other day that it is best to eat/drink protein that digests quickly after a workout (so whey protein) for recovery. *idk how true it is, but it's in a book I am reading
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It is not necessary to time your meals around your workout. It will not have any measurable effect on body composition over just getting the same amount of nutrient in with your regular meals. There is nothing wrong with it either. I feel a little "drained" after a good workout and like to eat sometime soon after. There is nothing magical about a shake however and you can just eat some food that meets your calorie and macro needs for the day.

nutrient-timing-table_r4-01.png
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about anabolic window nonsense. It's about your protein and calorie totals for the day (even week) and the focus is big-picture. When or if you slam a shake isn't going to matter.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    The scammers who market to bodybuilders have convinced the herd that getting enough protein is just not possible eating whole foods. You MUST supplement!
    Don't fall into that mud hole, and be wary of advice from any bodybuilder.
    iyel829tr2lc.jpg

• kjarvo
    Options
    karenj_m wrote: »
    "If" you want a cheap recovery drink (same ratios as the one they are trying to sell you)....

drink 1 cup of low fat chocolate milk :) carb to protein ratio is the same........... its even on their Beachbody boards :)

Yes this is what I have occasionally, though it feels more like a treat :)

• kjarvo
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Yup^^^^

Anabolic window won't be closing anytime soon.

In b4 the..........you'll lose muscle if you don't slam a shake down right away.

Thanks everyone, I wont worry too much, but I do still need to focus on eating a bit more. I eat plenty at my parents but not really enough in uni.
  • kjarvo
    Options
    It is not necessary to time your meals around your workout. It will not have any measurable effect on body composition over just getting the same amount of nutrient in with your regular meals. There is nothing wrong with it either. I feel a little "drained" after a good workout and like to eat sometime soon after. There is nothing magical about a shake however and you can just eat some food that meets your calorie and macro needs for the day.

Thanks, that's quite interesting. I didn't know it was so nutrition was so important for running past 1 hour either (probably because I've only just started doing it and I've done hours of other exercise with no issue).

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »

Thanks, that's quite interesting. I didn't know it was so nutrition was so important for running past 1 hour either (probably because I've only just started doing it and I've done hours of other exercise with no issue).

Its probably not. Jogging for an hour is probably not what they are talking about. Intense race training multiple times per week that leaves you "exhausted" then it might be important.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sandigesha wrote: »
    Ideally all your daily intake of food (or at least 90% ) should be within 15-20 minutes after the workout. Otherwise the food is stores as fat, but after the eercise you muscles are hungry so it uses it straight for muscle gains.
    No. I will not be eating 3000 calories right after my workout....hahaha

• kjarvo
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »

Its probably not. Jogging for an hour is probably not what they are talking about. Intense race training multiple times per week that leaves you "exhausted" then it might be important.

I don't mean in terms of calories. I don't normally feel like I need them, I mean drinking water, electrolytes etc. I am the sort of person that exercises and doesn't even take it into consideration that I might need to drink afterwards or eat :S But I'm not at that stage yet anyway.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Bro-science. Timing is irrelevant. All that matters is that you hit your carb/fat/protein goals daily.

If you're hungry after a workout... eat..... if not.... don't eat.