Fish Oil

Options
I have been doing research and I saw that Fish Oil can help burn fat and such. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true?

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be true in one of those super sciencey not quite as straight forward as that but yes it does ways. But fish oil is also just all around amazing for us so you kinda can't lose by taking it.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be true in one of those super sciencey not quite as straight forward as that but yes it does ways. But fish oil is also just all around amazing for us so you kinda can't lose by taking it.

This. I've been taking it for years due to my doctor's recommendation and I really think it helps my overall health a lot. Not sure about the fat burning component...but it doesn't hurt.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

actually, it's not...and here's why

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/fish-oil-lifesaver-study-finds/story?id=17211288

Wait so you're saying that fish oil ISNT good for your health? I thought we all pretty much agreed that Omega 3s are good for you? Good for your hair and nails and are healthy fats that promote healthy brain function?

Also that ABC report only mentions fish oils benefits for heart health. They specifically say extending life and stroke prevention but Omega 3s are supposed to be good for SO much more than that. The report doesn't say that Omega 3s don't do anything for our health at all. And honestly I seriously find it hard to believe or trust those types of reports. One minute fat is evil, next minute it's good for you, etc etc.

This is why I prefer peer reviews.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

actually, it's not...and here's why

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/fish-oil-lifesaver-study-finds/story?id=17211288

Do you have a link to the actual study? I didn't see one in the link you provided.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Wait so you're saying that fish oil ISNT good for your health? I thought we all pretty much agreed that Omega 3s are good for you?

They're saying fish supplements aren't as good as getting omega from real, unprocessed fish.

You can read a summary of the studies on Wiki's page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil#Health_effects

And here is the fat-loss study:

http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/31

The results weren't huge, and there were some limitations of the study, but it is still interesting.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have been doing research and I saw that Fish Oil can help burn fat and such. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true?

I take fish oil for joint pain but recently started taking virgin coconut oil for pain and to help burn fat and many other things.

• bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Some people who take fish oils and other oils conflate the fact that they are more satisfied and thus eat less with the literal truth that the oils themselves cause the weight loss.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I did not want to take aspirin for heart protection/blood thinner because I felt fish oil was more safe way to thin my blood.

The fish oil capsules that I take contain 10 calories each so in my case that is 80 calories per day from fish oil. No wonder I am so fat. :)