Exercise: Just What Counts?

So I've adjusted my activity level and all that, and it has helped, I've lost about 5-10lbs(depending on the scale) and I'm just about out of the rut I've been stuck in for years. I've got a friend who's started doing MFP too, and that's helped. But with the change has included of course a change in calories. I've been doing okay about not going over too much, or at all. But I'm a little lost as to when I should add exercise. Should it be only when I purposely go out and walk a mile or go to the gym? Or do the smaller things, like 20 minutes walking the dog or walking across campus, or walking/lifting dogs etc at the salon where I work, count as well?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Whatever you want. I have friends who log moving boxes. I only log any exercise that I did not include into my NEAT calculation, i.e. gym stuff. i already factored in my walking and standing on campus and at work into my NEAT calculation, meaning that on days I don't exericse I'm already eating for the amount of walking nad standing I do on average.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I don't count housework and other things of that nature. I have been doing them for years and have been fat for years, so I assume they don't help me much. I have a Fitbit that keeps track of my movement, and I definitely don't get into the intense activity zone when cleaning. I do count any exercise that makes me sweaty, like fast walking instead of a stroll.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If it's something you consider an everyday task, i.e. walking the dog, that should be factored into your activity level already. Purposeful exercise is what should be logged.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I would only count activity that is more than you normally do. So I don't count normal cleaning that I do every day or walking my dog.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If I set out to exercise, I log it. If it's part of normal, everyday stuff, I don't.

Everyone does this differently.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    aleanay wrote: »
    But I'm a little lost as to when I should add exercise. Should it be only when I purposely go out and walk a mile or go to the gym?

No. A "mile or two" burns very few extra calories, don't bother logging it.
    Or do the smaller things, like 20 minutes walking the dog or walking across campus, or walking/lifting dogs etc at the salon where I work, count as well?

No, again, too small to be meaningful.

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    I log anything above and beyond what I included in my daily activity level when I set up my account. I don't log routine house cleaning or the walking I do at my job. Because I feel like those are already accounted for. But if I take a walk… even just a mile around the neighborhood, I will log it because it's more than is included in my daily activity level. Just be careful if you are eating back your exercise calories. Most MFP estimates are high.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    If it's an everyday task I don't log it. For example, I don't log walking around campus all day to get to classes. I only log exercise that I make an effort to go out and do.
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    I only log in tasks that raises my heart rate to the fat burning zone ... everyday stuff like walking, I don't consider as exercise.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    It's a crap shoot really. Activity levels, exercise burn rates, personal V02 max variations etc, etc. Record your progress and make adjustments from that real data is your best bet.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I have my activity level set to sedentary, so I log anything that involves walking over a mile at 3 mph (basically, walking the dogs). If I have to park far from a store or if I'm leisurely walking around with friends shopping, I don't log that. I use a heart rate monitor for dog walks. It gives me a little extra to eat.
  • bylot
    bylot Posts: 11
    I look at it this way: When it comes to exercise, if in doubt, don't log it, or underestimate it if you do. Do the opposite with food and you can't really lose.

Any kind of massaging of figures is going to stop you losing weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Could set your account to sedentary and get a fitbit. Then any kind of walking you do (everything you've described) would be counted automatically for you
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I log intentional excersice. Lifting weights, workout dvd, going out with my bestie for a "walk" ( because that is always an hour long workout walk). If I go into it thinking "time to workout", then it gets logged.