I've done everything right but gained weight?

Options
Hello, all!

I am feeling very distraught tonight! I have been sticking to my diet and working out daily yet I've managed to gain 2 pounds! I usually do 10 to 15 minutes of strength training a day. Then 60 to 90 minutes of cardio and I consume a little under 1500 calories a day.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• starlight682
    starlight682 Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How long have you been working out for? The 2lb might just be water weight, from your body adjusting to working out . Also how often are you weighing yourself?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Either
    1) Underestimating your consumption, i.e. you are eating more thank you think you are
    2) you are not as active as you think you are, either in exercise or daily life.
    3) You are retaining water.

There's also no need to do 90 mins of cardio daily. nor to strength train daily, especially if you are training muscles back to back.

And 1500 could be too low for you. Use proper calculators like health-calc.com or exrx.net and estimaate maintenance needs, subtract 20%, set as custom goal. If you included exercise in the estimate then don't log/eat back exercise, if you didn't include it then do log and eat back exercise cals.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    it's hard to give you advice without seeing your diary but off the top of my head here are my first ideas:

You aren't accurately measuring what you're eating
    You're eating lots of salt which causes water weight
    Is it "that time of the month?", you can gain 5lbs due to hormones
    are you eating enough? Eating TOO little can have a bad reaction. Make sure you eat back your exercise calories
    Water, get atleast the 64ounces of water (not juice, not tea, not coffee) suggested. Water pushes water and helps with bloating and salt. I personally drink over a gallon a day.
    Time.

The last one is important. You didn't "get fat" overnight and you won't get skinny overnight either. This is the hardest one for most of us. If you unlock your diary I might be able to help more?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long was it since you last weighed that you gained? If it's only been a week or less, it's water weight (especially if you're nearing TOM).
  • Leahkat1020
    Leahkat1020 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The battle is waged in the kitchen. If you stick with calorie counting and make sure that you count everything as accurately as possible (kitchen scale helps for me) then you will lose the weight. How long have you been at 1500 cals per day? If you're just getting started, it could be weight from water, especially if you've just started working out. When you begin to work out, your muscles retain water in order to heal and grow. High-salt diet can also contribute to water retention.

Do you tend to "eat back" your calories after your workouts? The calorie counts on myfitnesspal are WAYYYY off from reality for most exercises that are logged. This means trouble when you try to match your limit, since mfp adds this into your allowance. The best advice I've got was to track the exercise here to keep tabs on your goals and progress, but never eat the calories back. This will help you lose weight faster and will also give you more wiggle room if your calorie count is a little off.

Best,
    Leah
  • angelkawaii
    angelkawaii Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! I have unlocked my diary if you would like to look at my meals.
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    Most likely salt, and I don't think you're accurately putting in the amounts and calories.
    Chipotle is VERY high in salt (and potentially deadly but that is a different rant lol) and they usually add WAY more than the website calories suggest. Unless you deconstructed your bowl I doubt that is all that was in there.
    Several other days you seem WAY low on calories. Make it a personal mission to A: log EVERYTHING you eat. B: eat atleast 1200 calories a day C: eat back your calories. For example, if you eat 1200 calories, then workout and burn 200 calories. Eat 200 more calories for a total of 1400. Never go past 1400.

Also, if you're worried about lose skin (dunno how big you are) you might not want to go all out so fast. Slow and steady wins the race, and in the long run you're more likely to stick with it.

Again with the logging, I dunno if taco meat is a recipe you made but make sure if it is you added in any extra salt. Most people I know don't eat plain eggs and plain green beans as a snack (heck I'm a veggie junkie and I'd atleast put hot sauce or salt on them). Get what I'm saying?

If you have any other questions message me and I'll try to answer them. I'm off to bed now. Have a good one! :wink:
  • ana3067
    Options
    Most likely salt, and I don't think you're accurately putting in the amounts and calories.
    Chipotle is VERY high in salt (and potentially deadly but that is a different rant lol) and they usually add WAY more than the website calories suggest. Unless you deconstructed your bowl I doubt that is all that was in there.
    Several other days you seem WAY low on calories. Make it a personal mission to A: log EVERYTHING you eat. B: eat atleast 1200 calories a day C: eat back your calories. For example, if you eat 1200 calories, then workout and burn 200 calories. Eat 200 more calories for a total of 1400. Never go past 1400.

Also, if you're worried about lose skin (dunno how big you are) you might not want to go all out so fast. Slow and steady wins the race, and in the long run you're more likely to stick with it.

Again with the logging, I dunno if taco meat is a recipe you made but make sure if it is you added in any extra salt. Most people I know don't eat plain eggs and plain green beans as a snack (heck I'm a veggie junkie and I'd atleast put hot sauce or salt on them). Get what I'm saying?

If you have any other questions message me and I'll try to answer them. I'm off to bed now. Have a good one! :wink:
    I eat plain eggs and plain green beans! Although I usually add cheese to my eggs :p
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I eat plain eggs and plain green beans! Although I usually add cheese to my eggs :p

yeah but cheese is salty :wink: hehe! even if you don't add salt into the milk, once it turns into cheese it just has that salty flavor. I agree, an omelette with cheese is super yummo
  • ana3067
    Options

yeah but cheese is salty :wink: hehe! even if you don't add salt into the milk, once it turns into cheese it just has that salty flavor. I agree, an omelette with cheese is super yummo

yeah but like.. I'm not adding extra salt! I have an omelet logged for tomorrow with mozza AND cheddar. I'm gonna drool in my sleep dreaming of it.
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options

yeah but like.. I'm not adding extra salt! I have an omelet logged for tomorrow with mozza AND cheddar. I'm gonna drool in my sleep dreaming of it.

LOL shhhhh.... I'm getting jealous. Tomorrow I have to go shopping because I'm like out of everything. I had an asparagus omelette this morning though... oh my. :D
  • ana3067
    Options

LOL shhhhh.... I'm getting jealous. Tomorrow I have to go shopping because I'm like out of everything. I had an asparagus omelette this morning though... oh my. :D

sorry, but ew :( Needed more cheeeese ;) or ooh, bacon! I need to go shopping now!
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options

sorry, but ew :( Needed more cheeeese ;) or ooh, bacon! I need to go shopping now!

oh yeah bacon would have been AMAZING. I used to hate asparagus and then I tried it with a little butter and I'm hooked. I'll eat it plain with a little salt and it's really yummy. We're so weird in my house, my husband and I argue over who gets more veggies. ;) haha I love him for it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You are making things up. Telling yourself 'i've done everything right'... well not if you have put on weight.

60-90 minutes of cardio and strength training per day.... that's around 700-1100 calories a time on estimate, so you must be eating rather a lot.....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    <snip>

Wow Chipotle is deadly? really..... :\

To the OP 2lbs could be water from exercise but most likely inaccurate logging...

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    <snip>

To the OP 2lbs could be water from exercise but most likely inaccurate logging...

This... I am gonna die because I eat Chipotle.. wow
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    <snip>

This... I am gonna die because I eat Chipotle.. wow

Yup apparently 100% of the people that eat at Chipotle die!!!!!!!!!

Glad there isn't one around me...I will stick to taco bell.

• shaun603
    Options
    Do you tend to "eat back" your calories after your workouts? The calorie counts on myfitnesspal are WAYYYY off from reality for most exercises that are logged. This means trouble when you try to match your limit, since mfp adds this into your allowance. The best advice I've got was to track the exercise here to keep tabs on your goals and progress, but never eat the calories back. This will help you lose weight faster and will also give you more wiggle room if your calorie count is a little off.

Best,
    Leah

I'm sorry but this is incorrect information. If my target intake for the day is 2000 calories to lose say 1.5lbs a week. I need to hit that target daily. If I workout and burn 500 calories and don't eat it back then I have starved my body for the my daily requirement and have possibly sabataged my weight loss goals. YOU NEED TO EAT BACK YOUR BURNED CALORIES!