Some people seem to burn so many calories in exercise, how? What do you do?

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Running is perhaps the most calorie-burn intensive exercise there is, given how long you can maintain it for. You will burn anything from 100-140 calories per mile, typically.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    They are delusional, lying to themselves, and/or just working off incorrect information.

392707627.jpg
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Running is perhaps the most calorie-burn intensive exercise there is, given how long you can maintain it for. You will burn anything from 100-140 calories per mile, typically.

Depends on your efficiency, your body weight, and other factors. 100/mile is a common number to guesstimate, but I personally seem to be more like 75/mile.

That said, it is still really easy for me to kill 1500 calories on a long run.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I cycle. 600 calories per hour is what I estimate.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I have found that 600/hour is common no matter what you are doing if you are moving at an endurance-pace. Running, cycling, swimming, etc is all around 600/hr at least for me according to my Garmin with HRM

Intense intervals will net me up to 800/hr.

Then again, I had a metabolic test done this past spring that actually measured me at 830/hr at endurance power/heart rate.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I have found that 600/hour is common no matter what you are doing if you are moving at an endurance-pace. Running, cycling, swimming, etc is all around 600/hr at least for me according to my Garmin with HRM

Then again, I had a metabolic test done this past spring that actually measured me at 830/hr at endurance power/heart rate.

Yup, that's pretty much the philosophy I go off. 600 per hour for whatever I am doing. I don't really count lifting although I do it 5 days a week. Running and cycling I just assume 600 per hour and move on with my day. I use an HRM for training purposes and confirmed that it's always right around 600.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My workouts are not as extensive as other people's, but here is what I do:
    3 times a week 30-45 minutes walk/run intervals + incline walking = about 300-350 calories
    2 times a week Jillian Michaels body revolution 30 minutes= about 100 calories
    2 times a week 10 minutes general strength (pushups..etc)= about 20 calories
    1 time a week yoga 20 minutes= about 40 calories.

However, at one point I used to burn 900 net calories incline walking (about 1000 gross) in one hour, a 15 incline at 2.5 mph, but that was back when I weighed about 270 pounds, so yes, big numbers are possible for some.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    They are delusional, lying to themselves, and/or just working off incorrect information.

Not always true, especially for those of us going by our HRMs, not MFP or machine calculations :) I do try to tell people the importance of this when I see people on my friend's list posting MFP calculated burns.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do a HIIT style work out on the elliptical and burn between 400 and 500 cals in 30 depending on how much I'm putting into it/how high I'm getting my HR etc. On days I break up my cardio (elliptical, bike, step ups, elliptical) I burn 600-800 in an hour. I don't always log all of it because I don't eat back all my calories. Also, I'm over 300 lbs so it's easier for me to achieve these kind of burns.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I think this is more realistic.

A lot of people are overestimating IMO :\

People sometimes blame MFP for overestimation but it's not MFP as much as it is not paying attention to what really constitutes "vigorous" and "fast." Needs to be more honesty with yourself about how hard you're pushing.

For example, I swim for exercise now (just got back into it) and competitively swam in school. I have probably seen 3 people over the past couple of months at the gym pool that are actually doing vigorous swimming. Maybe 5 that are swimming moderate. Most swim light, if that really. When I swim, I list half as moderate and half as vigorous. That puts me between 500-550 calories for the hour. I'm generally out of breath, legs are tight and tired, arms are heavy, heart rate is up throughout the whole workout (I swim in intervals and do a lot of stroke/speed changes). I think a lot of people never experience that level of exhaustion but assume that because they are exercising for 30 minutes to an hour that it means they're working out very hard and they do feel tired.

The whole 1000 calories burned an hour thing isn't realistic for most people. We naturally can't keep that pace up for an hour. Those that are burning that much are usually distance runners/cyclists (like the poster above who said she does 12 miles a day). Body weight does have a lot to do with how much you burn, but it still isn't as high as people assume. And no one is burning 500 calories from "vigorous" cleaning for 30 minutes.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

392707627.jpg

Not always true, especially for those of us going by our HRMs, not MFP or machine calculations :) I do try to tell people the importance of this when I see people on my friend's list posting MFP calculated burns.
    +1

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Some interesting opinions here.....

What is a fact is that every calorie burn you see is an estimate. MFP, exercise machines and even my trusty Garmin HRM is estimating the burn by applying a formula calculation using the parameters you give it (age, height, weight, resting heart rate etc) and statistical data from clinical studies.

Bored yet? No? OK then.....

The wide variation is down to marketing (IMO). The makers of the Acme Stepper know that we want to believe that the 15 mins we spent gently walking up stairs burnt 600 calories, so they set their algorithm to tell us what we want to hear.

MFP wants us to use their app and keep racking up sponsorship revenue, so we get another very favourable calculation there.

It's widely accepted that a HRM gives us the closest estimate if you've configured it well. That makes a lot of sense to me because it is reading one measure of our exertion, our heart rate. But it's still applying that measure into an algorithm based on statistical averages. You may meet the standard deviation or be way outside of it. Each HRM may use a different algorithm. Nontheless I'd bet they are within 20%.

Over time, if you are tracking your calorie intake and expenditure and monitoring your weight you can get a pretty good sense for what you are really burning - I'm pretty confident I really did burn 3,788 calories on my run this Sunday. :smile:

Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »
    I'm pretty confident I really did burn 3,788 calories on my run this Sunday. :smile:
    Holy cow, how far did you run? I did a half marathon on Sunday and I didn't burn even close to that. You must have done a full?

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did. I'm also over 90kgs and it took 4hrs 15 mins

Thank you for calling that out - I'm still on a high and nowhere near ready to stop talking about it yet :D;)
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »
    I did. I'm also over 90kgs and it took 4hrs 15 mins

Thank you for calling that out - I'm still on a high and nowhere near ready to stop talking about it yet :D;)
    Wow! Good for you! That's a very respectable time.

• annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM I burn anywhere from 300-400 during a half hour of kickboxing.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    And no one is burning 500 calories from "vigorous" cleaning for 30 minutes.
    Yeah definitely not. I spent nearly an hour yesterday vigorously cleaning and was still under 200 cal.
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Higher body weight and / or higher intensity and / or longer duration.

That's pretty much it.

^^ This. The more heavy, the more calories you'll burn.

• drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    People sometimes blame MFP for overestimation but it's not MFP as much as it is not paying attention to what really constitutes "vigorous" and "fast." Needs to be more honesty with yourself about how hard you're pushing.

I'd agree with that for some, but MFP has me as burning 550 cals for an hours Combat whereas my HRM calcs between 450-500. I do go flat out at that exercise, and couldn't do any more. My runs are likewise around 10-20% higher on MFP to that logged by my HRM.
    Although both are only estimates, I'd expect the HRM to be closer than MFP.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    bigbeff wrote: »
    I am curious, I am aware different size people burn different numbers of calories for the same exercise, but I am just looking for exercise ideas.
    I am getting back into running, about 12 miles last week and I have started weight machines at the gym (but have no idea how many calories I burn using these?!Not too fussed, its more about strengthening up)

Who does what and how many calories do you think you burn?

I cut my time in half before logging it. So if I do yoga for an hour, I log 30 minutes. I feel like that puts me in a "safe" place. I'm eyeballing the new FitBit Surge that tracks your steps and your heart rate. I'm working on justifying the $250 to myself ;) I have a FitBit now and if I could go back and get something else - I would go with a HRM.