Squash help?

Options
2»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I had butternut squash the other night that was delicious. Cubed it really small, about 1/2 inch. Tossed with a couple table spoons of melted coconut oil a bit of brown sugar ( you can also use pure maple syrup), a teaspoon or so of cinnamon, and just a teeny bit of cayenne pepper. Roasted it at 425 for about 20 minutes ( longer if you do larger cubes). Even my husband liked it and he is pretty much anti veggie

Do this with curry seasoning as well - use coconut oil, but instead of sugar etc use curry powder (or garam masala or whatever combo you like). I'm in SoCal too so no soup (although they say we might get 'winter' ie under 85 degrees this weekend), but usually I make a curry butternut squash soup and it's my fave and I have some in the freezer right now :)

Here's a sample recipe of the above, there are a few out there: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Butternut-Squash-with-Curry-and-Coriander-10728

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has beautiful delicata squash right now, so I've been making tons of roasted delicata squash and putting it on salads. I'm a super lazy cook, so I love this variety because the skin is edible and you don't have to peel it! I just trim the ends, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, cut into bite-sized chunks and roast with some salt, pepper and olive oil (and sometimes some pumpkin pie spice) for about 30 minutes. It tastes butternut-like but is WAY less hassle.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Delicata has become my favorite just because of the skin. I think it tastes a little less sweet and dense than butternut...perfect flavor for mixing with goat cheese and bacon. Also, it's the perfect size...enough for one large meal. Even smallish butternuts tend to have leftovers.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I had butternut squash the other night that was delicious. Cubed it really small, about 1/2 inch. Tossed with a couple table spoons of melted coconut oil a bit of brown sugar ( you can also use pure maple syrup), a teaspoon or so of cinnamon, and just a teeny bit of cayenne pepper. Roasted it at 425 for about 20 minutes ( longer if you do larger cubes). Even my husband liked it and he is pretty much anti veggie

Do this with curry seasoning as well - use coconut oil, but instead of sugar etc use curry powder (or garam masala or whatever combo you like). I'm in SoCal too so no soup (although they say we might get 'winter' ie under 85 degrees this weekend), but usually I make a curry butternut squash soup and it's my fave and I have some in the freezer right now :)

Here's a sample recipe of the above, there are a few out there: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Butternut-Squash-with-Curry-and-Coriander-10728

Oh, curry would be yummy!