Made Serious Changes Seeing Little Results...

Options
The past 4 weeks almost 5 I have completely changed my diet, which has not been easy. I read and watch a bunch of things on what the wrong food can do to your body and made a change right then and there. I was so tired, sick , moody, ect. I realized it was the stuff I was putting in my body. I now try to only shop in the produce section, get organic when possible, limiting packaged and processed items. This is a HUGE change for me I was always a carb person, I didn't even like vegetables really at all, but since this change I'm addicted to the way I feel I have energy all day and I feel great. MY new hobby is finding paleo and clean eating recipes off pinterest, i love food prepping for the next day, recording my food intake and making up a routine for myself. I feel like I'm really starting to do everything right but see little to no change on the scale.

A little background on myself I like in the outer banks nc, an active lifestyle is fairly easy I walk to work every day which is about 3 miles a day 5 days a week, yoga classes 1 to 2 days, a 2 to 3 days I can squeeze a jog in there as well, but a grocery store is 30 minutes away, WAY over price especially organic, and especially when you try and eat fresh and are going to the store 1 to 2 times a week. I moved here on an internship so I'm not making any money but I'm trying my best to keep up a healthy routine as best I can.

So my question is I feel as though I have made the biggest life change that I have ever made, and it is a work in progress still trying to go totally clean and paleo but just trying to switch things out gradually, but even though I will never go back just purely based on how I feel now, it would be nice to get a weight loss perk out of this as well, I for sure need it and that is not happening. Anything I'm doing wrong or need to be doing? Im sure it is just more exercise but hey thought I would give it a shot and ask.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. That's it. All that other stuff is fine if you want to do it, but is unnecessary in terms of weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    its 5 weeks of something (ie a healthy lifestyle) that you should be doing for ever... if you think you can do 'clean' and 'paleo' as a lifestyle then you just need to be more patient.

ETA you dont actually say whether your tracking food, weighing and measuring and have a calorie deficit?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale to weigh everything you eat. Use spoons and measuring cups for caloric liquids.
    I agree, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're eating at a deficit.
    At the moment, you're eating at maintenance.
    Log everything!
    You will lose.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you eat the healthiest, cleanest most organic food in the world and exercise for hours a day, you won't see any weight loss if you're still consuming more calories than you need.
    Weigh your food, measure out portions, don't forget to include drinks and water, and stick within your calorie allowance.
  • cotybadge
    Options
    I do log everything on fit pal, I measure everything, on myfitpal I have it set for 1260 calories a day I think I've only gone over maybe 2 times in 5 weeks and by under 100 calories. I also drink a TON of water.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As you've heard already... calories in, calories out. You must have a deficit to lose. It's good that your eating cleaner foods, however those do have calories so if you want to lose your have to track what your eating. Good luck and congrats on making good changes!
  • cotybadge
    Options
    by the way thanks for the input I'm learning as I go I don't really know any of this stuff all I know is that it good for you and its something I should be doing and I'm glad I'm doing.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    cotybadge wrote: »
    I do log everything on fit pal, I measure everything, on myfitpal I have it set for 1260 calories a day I think I've only gone over maybe 2 times in 5 weeks and by under 100 calories. I also drink a TON of water.

what are your stats?
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You're missing the key ingredient: patience. ;)
  • cotybadge
    Options

what are your stats?

Like height and weight? 5'7 180
  • TavistockToad
    Options

what are your stats?

Like height and weight? 5'7 180

i'd see a doctor then, as if you are truly only eating 1260 cals there is no way you shouldnt be losing weight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You have your weekly goal set for 2 lbs per week, don't you? And I'm guessing you're not eating your exercise calories back.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You feel better and healthier, so that's a good start. Without seeing your actual diary it's hard to say if you're going wrong on tracking/weighing, etc. It'll be said a hundred times on here, but it's the truth...if you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a calorie deficit or you need to see a doctor. At 1200 calories and your stats, you should be losing weight, so you're either estimating incorrectly or something else is going on. Most likely it's a tracking issue as actual physiological reasons for not losing weight at that calorie count would be super rare. I'm shorter, lighter, have all the things that come with PCOS working against me including insulin resistance, hypothyroid, etc and I lose weight at more calories than you say you're eating. The main thing is that you feel healthier, though, so that's a win. Just fine tune the calorie tracking, I'd say.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Measure or weigh? Cups can be inaccurate. What a manufacturer says should be a cup for a serving may come out to 1 1/4 cups when you weigh it on a food scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Measure or weigh? Cups can be inaccurate. What a manufacturer says should be a cup for a serving may come out to 1 1/4 cups when you weigh it on a food scale.

This is the absolute truth.
  • traveler61
    traveler61 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've found out that you can't eyeball anything at first. We take in way more calories then we realize. Also, anything you drink other than water or diet has ALOT of calories. I probably drink half my calories. I have found that my drinking calories are the hardest to cut down.
  • cotybadge
    Options
    traveler61 wrote: »
    I've found out that you can't eyeball anything at first. We take in way more calories then we realize. Also, anything you drink other than water or diet has ALOT of calories. I probably drink half my calories. I have found that my drinking calories are the hardest to cut down.

Yes for sure I agree I'm trying to find a organic homemade solution to my coffee creamer so I can get some nutrients from it and no processed junk but haven't found the best solution yet. Also its been tough to not drink alcohol as well, but its great to be able to look them up and really see how many calories and everything your wasting drinking anything but water.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You're wasting money and effort on the wrong stuff.

Calorie deficit to lose weight - that's it.

If you want fitness, exercise.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You're wasting money and effort on the wrong stuff.

Calorie deficit to lose weight - that's it.

If you want fitness, exercise.

All of this. If you like creamer, have it, just make sure you know how much you're having and log it.

• Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

When you measure everything, make sure you only use measuring cups or measuring spoons for liquids, not solids. I used to measure my peanut butter with a table spoon and found that I was actually eating double the amount per serving instead of weighing it for the accurate amount.