gaining weight in a particular part of your body (for the ladies)

Options
I have always read you can't spot reduce. basically, you lose weight evenly throughout your body. However, in the last few months I gained about 2-3 pounds. I suspect this is real weight and not just fluctuations because my weight never fluctuates down to where it was before. Strangely, most of my body looks the same...legs, arms, bottom...but I have noticed a "huge" difference in my chest size. I wasn't exactly small to start with, but I have gone up a cup size at least (while the band size has stayed the same). I have noticed (to a lesser extent) some weight in the stomach. I haven't changed birth control or medications. The weight is evenly distributed throughout my chest...so I don't think it is a tumor or anything. I even asked by gyno and she didn't have an answer for me. any other women experience this?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Breasts can continue developing into early 20s.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My mid thirties
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Clearly no one told my boobs this.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Lol. I am not complaining. They look good...but I find it suspicious.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    My mid thirties

Well if your doctor is not concerned then I'd embrace them (and get fitted for new underwear).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

OMG laughssssssssssssssssss Ana!
    OP, could you be pregnant? (I'm sure your OB would have caught this but...).
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

OMG laughssssssssssssssssss Ana!
    OP, could you be pregnant? (I'm sure your OB would have caught this but...).

Definitely not...but she tested me anyway.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ... No fair, can I have your problem? :(
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I notice when I gain a few lbs my boobs are bigger!!! When I lose weight I can tell as they have less volume.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    ... No fair, can I have your problem? :(

Lol...I had a baby 2.5 years ago and everything looked a little deflated...so by gaining a few pounds...a big transformation. I am about 103 now.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So, you gained 2-3 pounds of fat and most of it went to your boobs. Excellent. A little bit in the tummy. Sounds like you store fat where a lot of women typically do. As opposed to the type who store it on the hips and butt. Either way sounds normal, and if your doctor isn't concerned, then just enjoy (and buy some new bras).
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would suspect hormonal changes and it seems like you must thinking about it too from the way you wrote your post. It would not be a bad idea to have your hormones thoroughly checked. Were hormones ever an issue in the past or is the birth control solely for birth control? Have you been on the birth control for a long time or a relatively short period of time? Are you eating more soy in your diet or coming in contact with more sources of phytoestrogens? Do you use a lot of plastic containers and bottles with BPA? All of these things would have an impact on hormones. Also, just because a doctor does not seem concerned does not mean that it is not an issue.
  • GretaGirl8
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would suspect hormonal changes and it seems like you must thinking about it too from the way you wrote your post. It would not be a bad idea to have your hormones thoroughly checked. Were hormones ever an issue in the past or is the birth control solely for birth control? Have you been on the birth control for a long time or a relatively short period of time? Are you eating more soy in your diet or coming in contact with more sources of phytoestrogens? Do you use a lot of plastic containers and bottles with BPA? All of these things would have an impact on hormones. Also, just because a doctor does not seem concerned does not mean that it is not an issue.

I have been on hormonal bc since I was 16 with the exception of my attempt and success at pregnancy. it is a low estrogen pill. I am very cautious of plastic and soy. I have a little soy about every other day in my morning coffee...but generally, stay away from it. to get my hormones checked...is that just a blood panel?

oh...and the bc was solely for contraceptive use.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    2013sk wrote: »
    I notice when I gain a few lbs my boobs are bigger!!! When I lose weight I can tell as they have less volume.

good to hear I am not alone.

• GretaGirl8
    Options

I did have the gyno give me an ovarian ultrasound to check for tumors or pcos (apparently that can cause weight gain in the chest area). Everything looked good.

I guess I am sort of confused by the 2-3 pound weight gain in general as my habits have not changed. But I suppose as we age--metabolism can change.