scale & tape measure users..question

Options

I am not weighing myself..just because i don't need the drama. But I am measuring my waist. From what i've learned -- for good health one's waist should be at least half their height.

I've lost two inches off my waist..and to be int he healthy range I have three more to go.
I figure I'll weight myself at that point and see where I am at..

But wondering if those of you who did both… did your waist and weight come in line together? Where you at goal when your waist measured half your height?

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. My waist and weight didn't move together now I think of it. The weight came off first and then I went through a few periods where my waist just seemed to shrink. I wasn't yet at goal when my waist was half my height, now it's below, but it's all about body shape, which is genetic.

BTW. I think waist/height measurement is a great metric, probably better than weight.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My waist isn't that good of a measure compared to most ppl I think because my ribcage is long and so my waist indents less than average. I pay a lot of attention to the fat on my upper arms as a gauge, because that is easy to check and is obvious when it changes.
  • PetraCore
    PetraCore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you are built and where your body tends to store fat. For example, I have a naturally small waist in comparison to the rest of me. Even when I was at my highest weight (obese), my waist was only an inch larger than what is considered healthy for me. Now that I am three pounds away from "healthy" my waist is smaller than some people who are shorter than me and at a "normal" weight. I have never been given a "pass" by my doctors for having a small waist with a high BMI. So I would say looking at at least the three main measurements (bust/waist/hips) and how they change over time might give you a better read on your health rather than just looking at your waist measurement.

Just an FYI: I've lost 6.5 inches from my waist during my journey.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My waist diminished much quicker than my weight loss but that was down to exercise. Measuring is a great tool when the scales don't seem to be moving. Inch loss is great though ☺
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Interesting question. My waist and weight didn't move together now I think of it. The weight came off first and then I went through a few periods where my waist just seemed to shrink. I wasn't yet at goal when my waist was half my height, now it's below, but it's all about body shape, which is genetic.

BTW. I think waist/height measurement is a great metric, probably better than weight.

+1

This was the case for me as well so I relied on the scale to track progress and whatever progress from measurements was just a side note for me.

But I know for many measuring is the less stressful method than weighing.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It is an interesting question. I weight every morning because I DON'T want drama. If I weighed every week or month I'd worry about it. I don't worry, I just pee and get on the scale, knowing it will bound around a bit. In range - no worries.

After I hit my initial goal and went to maintenance I stayed in a 3 pound range and lost 2 more inches on my waist over the course of a year. After a year in maintenance I dropped another 5 pounds and lost 2 more on my hips.