CFP top 25

Options
djeffreys10
djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
What are your thoughts? Yes, I am biased as an Auburn fan. That said:

Who is in (at this point)

#1 Mississippi St
#2 Florida St

Can't argue their placement in the top two, being undefeated. Many will argue not swapping them, but honestly that is just symantics. They win out, they are in the playoff. That is really all that matter.

#3 Auburn

That being said, they have the best loss of any 1 loss team (@ Miss St) and a signature win against out of conference #9 @Kansas St.

#4 Ole Miss

Gets a little muddy here. You have to buy that their loss wasn't horrible, and for that you have to accept that LSU isn't horrible. You also have to accept that their signature win to this point (Alabama at home) was a quality win. While Alabama is not the same level as they have been in recent years, I don't think anyone would argue that they aren't a good team.

First two left out (at this point)

#5 Oregon

Not a bad loss against #12 Arizona, and a very good looking win against #7 Michigan St.

#6 Alabama

A pretty good signature win against #20 West Virginia, and a seemingly good loss against #4 Ole Miss.

My thnoughts

Top 3 are spot on, and it's hard to make a case for any other team to be there. Mississippi St winning against #3 Auburn makes them deserving of #1, imho, with Fl St falling in naturally at #2. Auburn at #3 is hard to argue against based on the season thus far. Yes, Auburn has been playing pretty bad against several teams. But the key win combined with highest quality loss puts them there.

The only disagreement I have is with Ole Miss ahead of Oregon. Personally, I would rank Oregon #4, and Ole Miss #5, with Ole Miss getting the nod over Alabama due to beating them (duh). Reasoning being Ole Miss has a *slightly* better win (beating #6 vs Oregon beating #7). However, Ole Miss has a much worse loss (losing to #19 vs Oregon losing to #12). Not that it matters. With Auburn and Ole Miss having an elimination match Saturday, Oregon will move to #4 right behing the winner of Saturdays game (assuming Oregon wins).

And of course, there is still A LOT of football to play. A lot of games against each other with the 4 SEC teams all being in the same division, so attrition is gauranteed. There is a zero chance of not having AT LEAST two of those top four falling out, possibly more. It's going to be fun to watch this season unfold.

Replies

• Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin - duh. But they probably won't do much, so I'm going with Texas and Oregon. And I totally sound like a dude.
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    By Texas, I am going to assume you mean TCU. Are you saying they deserve to be ranked higher? And if so, based on what criteria?
  • Badger_Girl99
    Options
    No, not TCU. I think they got lucky. Texas as in UT...I think sometimes they are underrated. But we'll see...it's still early yet.
  • djeffreys10
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You mean 3-5 Texas? As in lost to every ranked team they played. Every. Single. One. Texas, that has only beaten other teams with losing records. Texas, that squeaked by 2-5 Iowa St by 3 points AT HOME. You think they are UNDER rated?
  • Badger_Girl99
    Options
    Yep, that Texas. Wanna argue?
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    I don't think there is much argument to be made to support your position lol
  • Badger_Girl99
    Options
    You just never know. The play off system will prove to be very interesting.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Options
    Well duh, Wisconsin is wishful thinking.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i'm okay with the top 4. i don't think there will be 3 SEC teams, but this will sort out a little better in the end. I would have Oregon instead of Old Miss as well.

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin? You must be on crack/cocaine! I wish, but no way in hell. I'm not so sure about Florida State. For some reason, I think that Alabama is going to sneak their way up again. They always seem to.

I am suspect of Florida St. this year. They don't seem nearly as good. But, I think Louisville is the only team that might have a chance of beating them the remainder of the season. I think they benefit greatly by a) being last year's champ and b) being in the ACC, which just isn't very strong this year.

• djeffreys10
    Options
    And Texas isn't wishful thinking? LMAO!

Alabama wouldn't really have to sneak their way up. I highly doubt Ole Miss will beat Miss St, regardless of the outcome of this weekend. So if Alabama wins out, that would put them in the top 4. The only way Alabama is kept out is if they don't win out. If they do, that means they beat Auburn. It's very unlikely that wouldn't earn them a spot. If Auburn beats Ole Miss Saturday, a win over Auburn would gaurantee them a spot.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Options
    Meh, what does a girl know!? ;)
  • daveclrk58
    Options
    I still think it's too early because there are so many big games left in the season. I don't think there will be 3 SEC teams in the playoff. I do think the SEC gets 2 in, but the other teams outside the SEC can't slip up. My Kentucky Wildcats just need to beat Missouri to get bowl eligible and I'll be happy, lol.
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    There is a very real scenario where that doesn't happen. Ole Miss beats Auburn, Auburn beats Alabama, Mississippi St beats Ole Miss. In that scenario, SEC just has one team.

Definitey hoping Auburn just wins out :smile:
  • daveclrk58
    Options
    The west is just so loaded. Hell, outside of Vandy there isn't one bad team in the whole conference. Bama still could be the best team, because they really should have won that game at Ole Miss. Auburn needs to win out and I'm sure Kansas State would love for Auburn to win out, which would help their cause. Im an SEC guy through and through and I get the "SEC fatigue" but it is what it is: The best college sports conference in America.
  • djeffreys10
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Bama has the same problem Auburn has. Just sometimes deciding not to show up. Bama is better than Ole Miss, they just didn't come to play. And they tried their dead level best to lose to Arkansas, but Arkansas tried harder to lose. Auburn is better than Mississippi St, we beat them for 3 quarters. We just spotted them 21 points right at the beginning of the game and lost by 15 (and they got some bs calls in their favor, but I digress). We just didn't show up to play the first quarter. We tried our best to lose against South Carolina, but they threw a couple key interceptions that cost them the game.