How big is your....

Options
Kristinemomof3
Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
television? We are thinking of splurging and getting a larger t.v. for Christmas for the fam, our current largest is 40 (I think) We bought it back in the day when LCD tv's just came out and paid a lot more than what you can get them today. It's a Samsung and I hate the picture when we watch movies with a lot of dark scenes, they are hard to see.

So how big of a television do you have? Dh will do some research, but any brands to stay away from would be appreciated as well.

Replies

• DWhy5
    DWhy5 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I've got a 55 inch. But now I want 60+. I have heard though, that it's not size that matters.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I can't help with LCD. I was always a fan of plasma, but that is pretty much a dead technology now. I have a 58" Pioneer plasma in my living room, and a 50" pioneer plasma in my bedroom
  • Medivh73
    Medivh73 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    55 inches. I got it last year during Cyber Monday.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I see what you did here!

55 inch in basement
    47 inch in living room
    27 inch in bedroom
    15 inch in kitchen

all LED
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Just remember that bigger isn't always better especially if you don't have adequate space for a bigger one.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Use this tool to calculate what size your TV should be for the best viewing. After that, use your budget to determine the quality of the TV.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We bought a 42" for our normal-sized living room - then we moved to a place with cathedral ceilings lol. Now it looks all small and lonely on the wall. But we're not getting another one while this one still works. It was the cheapest one at Walmart basically, and the picture quality is pretty awesome.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I haven't owned a TV since they were all CRTs. But when I want to watch a movie on something other than my laptop, I project it on the wall.
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    Options
    I recently got a 40" for my living room, but once i started using it, I wished I got a bigger one... sigh... don't we all!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    60" Sony I almost bought a 72" but I am glad I didn't go that big. The calculator above looks interesting and the place I bought my TV aske how big the room was and helped me pick out this tv.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have a 32", which I only upgraded to because my 27" died. When I go to friends' houses I am amazed by their giant TVs. Mine is just so dinky, but it works!
  • daveclrk58
    Options
    65 inch Vizio above my fireplace. I always watch my Kentucky Wildcats in HD!! :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    60 inch in my man cave. 42 inch in the living room and a 32 inch in weight room. I like to stream concert DVD's when working out. I collect them. Have over 200 and still searching.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't know how big you will be able to go when I retire, but I plan to get the biggest outdoor TV and sound system available and stream Concerts by the pool when I retire. Going to spend my retirement days laying by the pool, sipping bourbon, smoking cigars and BBQing.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I bought a 55" 3D Samsung a few years back - it works lovely.

My in-laws also use a projector and their screen is.... maybe 120"? It's nice because it allows them to retract the screen so they can enjoy their view. It's another option if you don't want the screen/TV to be the main focus.

@RoadDog - I used to project movies in my atrium onto a white dropcloth - had a nice outdoor movie theater with very little fuss.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Well this was dissapointing...
  • daveclrk58
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I don't know how big you will be able to go when I retire, but I plan to get the biggest outdoor TV and sound system available and stream Concerts by the pool when I retire. Going to spend my retirement days laying by the pool, sipping bourbon, smoking cigars and BBQing.

Hopefully Kentucky Bourbon. Anything else just wont do!
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    50 inch samsung but want a bigger one