Is Ketosis right for me?

Options
2»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Fats make me not hungry and carbs make me fat so counting calories is not as important as the kind of food in my case I have figured out.

Except it's alll about calories. So in essence you likely ate more calories when eating a carb-heavy diet due to the increased hunger.

While your statement is not correct about "It's all about calories" I agree calories are a major factor. If you are eating a fat like medium chain triglycerides that gets ported to the liver and broken down into ketone bodies vs. sugar that can be stored means the type of calorie is no small factor either. This is the reason I selected coconut oil as the main fat in my diet several times a day.

I ate more calories when I was addicted to sugar per the scales. I ate when it hurt to eat more. I wanted it mentally when by body just wanted to go and lay down.

It's still all about calories for weight loss. Macros for satiety, body composition, and health. Fat is fat, carbs are carbs, protein is protein. Thankfully I do not have a main fat because I'll eat any fat, because it's all about making sure I meet my caloric needs/limits.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    In for "...your statement is not correct about "It's all about calories"..."
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    Do you see any reason as to why I should NOT try this?
    I don't know a whole lot about it yet, have read a few studies. Just wondering if anything stood out on why I shouldn't try this since my scale has stopped budging, before I starting researching the heck out of it! Any tips on foods to eat/avoid would be great as well.

I'm on keto, but there's a couple of reasons I don't think it's right for you (yet, anyway):
    1) You're asking an online forum whether it's right for you
    2) You don't know a whole lot about it
    3) You're asking for tips, before doing the research
    4) There are plenty of reasons why a person shouldn't try keto, but I don't know you well enough to list what those would be for you
    5) You're looking for reasons NOT to try it, instead of asking about the benefits

So:
    1) Do the research
    2) Make your own choices
    3) A general tip, asking about keto on the general boards is usually un-wise, people freak out, here's the keto board: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Personally, I'm kinda loving it, but no one can make this decision for you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The reason you aren't losing now is because your energy expenditure has lowered, and because you started at way too-low of a calorie goal you now need to lower it even further.

1500 isn't too low and no one stops losing because they started too low and need to lower it more.

Try low carb if you want. It's not going to hurt anything. It's not rocket science, either. Most plateaus break on their own eventually IF you're not overeating, but trying new things (except eating more calories) can break up the waiting and might turn you on to ways of eating that work well for you.

Good luck!

• daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Keto is great, defintely recommened, your body will literally be a fat burning machine. You should incorporate Intermittent fasting with keto for great results. I just finished up my 3rd 40hr fast in the past 2 weeks, and I break the fast by eating Ketogenic, so almonds, chicken, vegetables.... Fat has melted.
  • ana3067
    Options
    The reason you aren't losing now is because your energy expenditure has lowered, and because you started at way too-low of a calorie goal you now need to lower it even further.

1500 isn't too low and no one stops losing because they started too low and need to lower it more.

Try low carb if you want. It's not going to hurt anything. It's not rocket science, either. Most plateaus break on their own eventually IF you're not overeating, but trying new things (except eating more calories) can break up the waiting and might turn you on to ways of eating that work well for you.

Good luck!

At 200lbs, yes, 1500 calories is too low. But then again I'm sure you would also say the same thing if OP said she was eating 1200 calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Why is it too low? There is research and links in my profile that say it's fine. Do you have anything to support your opinion or is it just based on forum myths?

No one ever has support for the "you're undereating" hypothesis, just strongly held beliefs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    Keto is great, defintely recommened, your body will literally be a fat burning machine. You should incorporate Intermittent fasting with keto for great results. I just finished up my 3rd 40hr fast in the past 2 weeks, and I break the fast by eating Ketogenic, so almonds, chicken, vegetables.... Fat has melted.
    Yes, but if you lost weight, it is because the foods you chose on keto, along with your intermittent fasting, put you into a calorie deficit. The only magic in keto or intermittent fasting, or any diet for that matter, is the personal magic it has for you because it works for you.

If what you mean by "fat has melted" is that you have lost weight really fast, then that's not healthy because that, in itself, seems to indicate a very low calorie diet. Perhaps you can clarify this? :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    I don't know a whole lot about it yet, have read a few studies. Just wondering if anything stood out on why I shouldn't try this since my scale has stopped budging, before I starting researching the heck out of it! Any tips on foods to eat/avoid would be great as well.

I'm on keto, but there's a couple of reasons I don't think it's right for you (yet, anyway):
    4) There are plenty of reasons why a person shouldn't try keto, but I don't know you well enough to list what those would be for you
    5) You're looking for reasons NOT to try it, instead of asking about the benefits

So:
    1) Do the research
    2) Make your own choices
    3) A general tip, asking about keto on the general boards is usually un-wise, people freak out, here's the keto board: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

That is one great reply.

Tbab1514 I put in about 200 hours of researching this subject. So much that you read in forums is just not true like "a calorie is a calorie" as if they are all equal for example.

Let us know how it goes.

• ana3067
    Options
    Why is it too low? There is research and links in my profile that say it's fine. Do you have anything to support your opinion or is it just based on forum myths?

No one ever has support for the "you're undereating" hypothesis, just strongly held beliefs.

Plugging in generic stats (1-3hrs of light exercise/week) into a generic calculator that is generally considered to be fairly accurate (or at least an accurate starting point), her maintenance needs are estimated at ~2400 when including exercise. or about 1900 as a deficit for healthy, sustainable loss.

Another calculator estimates her net maintenance needs, assuming 8hrs sleep and 1hr standing/walking, at around 2550, or 2050 for a healthy rate of loss.

And another calculator estimates her net needs with the same assumptions as being around 2360, or almost 1900 to lose weight.

None of these numbers are 1500. And chances of these calculators all being completely off for OP are not likely. Sure, 100 cals +/-, but her true needs to lose in a sustainable way is not 1500. Hence too low.

If OP were say... 130lbs, then 1500 would probably be okay for her. But she's, you know, not 130lbs.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    And, you know, there is no reason she needs to limit her deficit to 500/day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And, you know, there is no reason she needs to limit her deficit to 500/day.

but the forum cops will ticket her for exceeding the deficit limit !
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

So:
    1) Do the research
    2) Make your own choices

That is one great reply.

Tbab1514 I put in about 200 hours of researching this subject. So much that you read in forums is just not true like "a calorie is a calorie" as if they are all equal for example.

Let us know how it goes.

So much research and so little truth....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, can you open your food diary?

Also, I wouldn't suggest going straight to one extreme. If anything start to increase fats and proteins and lower carbs. But realize when you do this, that you will deplete some glycogen/water storage so you will lose weight. But once you get past that, it still comes down to CICO, unless you have a medical condition you haven't referenced.

But generally the problem we see is people are inaccurate with their diary or measuring. It's good to know you weigh your food.. so now the question is consistency.
  • angelarose111
    angelarose111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for the last 2 weeks. I did manage to lose a few pounds. I find it easier than normal calorie restriction. I simply avoid sugar, bread, pasta, and rice. I eat meat, cheese, and tons of veggies. I've also found that I don't get hungry hardly at all. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat. Whereas simple calorie restriction had me starving all the time.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

So:
    1) Do the research
    2) Make your own choices

awesome!