Hysterectomy Monday.

Options
The dreaded surgery is in a couple of days. I did find out that I have a 15-20 pounds weight restriction until September. I can walk on the treadmill and ride the stationary bike after 6 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for eating while I'm unable to work out? I'm scared to death that I'm going to gain my weight back while I'm not so active anymore.

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    the overall theory is that if you eat the calories given to you by the formula and just breathe (live) you should lose 1 lbs a week if that is the way you set up your goals....the extra calories you burn help boost that weight loss and give you a little more...
    that is my understanding anyway...soooo if you make sure what you put in is what is given to you for calories and do the treadmill and the bike and burn a few hundred calories a day you should still lose 1lbs a week... you dont have to be super active to lose weight...you just have to have the 3500 calorie a week deficit if you want a 1lb loss....
    hope that makes sense...
    ps good luck on your surgery and your recovery....dont "binge" but definitely take care of yourself during your recovery...
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry that you have to have this surgery but congratulations on working so hard to become more fit prior! You have a great attitude! You do have valid concerns about gaining weight, because not only will you be less active while you recuperate, the procedure also produces "medically-induced menopause" which means your metabolism will also slow down. Double-whammy! :( As a suggestion, you may want to update your profile settings so that your lifestyle is sedentary, and your age is 7-10 years older than it really is, to get a basic recommendation on your daily caloric intake. As for foods, I would suggest keeping it as healthy and whole as possible. Focus on veggies, lean poultry, some whole grains....NO processed foods, juices, limited sugar.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery! (and no weight gain!!!!) :flowerforyou:
  • angelroses6
    Options
    Good Luck ....wishing speedy recovery
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your upcoming surgery. Hugs to you.

To answer your question though, be sure to drink plenty of water and eat filling foods, high fiber, high protein. Chicken, beans, fruits/veg. I think you will find that you're not as hungry (therefore don't eat much) when you don't workout....AND recovering from surgery. Your appetite will decrease a bit. BUT, be sure you eat nutritious foods not only to keep from gaining weight, but to feed your body as it heals. Ask your doctor if low impact non strenuous walks are ok. At least it will keep you moving around, ya know?

15-20 restriction - does that mean the doc doesn't want you to lose anymore than that between now and September?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Sorry, the restriction is on lifting 15-20 pounds for 3 months. I'm not really trying to lose anymore at this point. I worked my butt off to get to a certain weight and fitness level before surgery. Now, I'm hoping to relax. I sure hope my appetite decreases because lately I eat like a teenage boy. (Zumba, treadmill, weights, water aerobics 5 hours per week). The good news is that my metabolism is super charged at the moment. I hope it doesn't drop off too dramatically before I can get back to the gym in 6 weeks.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy in Nov 2008, after having 3 C-sections it was a piece of cake. Hopefully the fact that you were already very active and fit will mean a faster and better recovery.. walking is a MUST after any surgery, the sooner you can get up and walk after surgery the better (don't over do it but every trip to the bathroom adds up). Also, healing requires a Lot of calories so eating healthy with plenty of protein (for healing) and I bet you won't gain an ounce. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I will just let you know that after the healing is over ~ it is AWESOME!! So many things not to worry about anymore! :)
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    Thanks so much lady. Yes, I plan on walking as much as I reasonably can. I will take the pain meds she gives me so hopefully that will make it easier. I am trying to eat light and soft foods that don't require too much work on my digestive system these two days before surgery. I'm also drinking lots and lots of water. I'm glad your surgery was easy on you and hope mine goes the same way. I'm already looking forward to swimming whenever I want and not having to plan my life around my TOM.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    First, I wish you much luck post-op. This can be a difficult time for a woman and I hope the best for you.

My mother had this done in the mid-90s and I hope the techniques are different now. I'd imagine it'll be more laproscopic than a large cut. Eitherway, for a bit afterwards you won't really be able to do much. I'd be very careful with what you eat as far as possible bloat/gas and any heavy duty bowel activity (pain meds can make that train slow down or stop, btw) because that can push on the surgery area. I'd want to make sure things stay as easy as possible on that part of my body, so non-gassy fiber/veggie type stuff. And hydration! But that is only for a little while at the beginning. And you'll get through it. :)

After the main recovery phase, exercise is very important, but the biggest factor in how your body is comes from what you eat. As long as you stick to your healthy regimen, although it'll be less food since you won't be as active, I wouldn't think you'll have an issue of gaining. And you may even lose some initially to have a little buffer too. As your body allows (and your doctor!) work on the movement. Since you've been so active going into this, I really think you've set yourself up for a great and quicker recovery. Remember that most people aren't active and eating healthfully. (Another quick story, my grandfather had a heart attack at about age 70, doc said short walks thinking old man won't go far. But my grandfather walked ALL the time, long distances of 5+miles. His constant activity helped him recover faster and probably is partly why he made it through the heart attack)

I think you're going to do great through this!
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    She thinks I'll be able to have the laparoscopic surgery which is much easier I hear. I am keeping my ovaries so I shouldn't go through menopause yet (knock wood). I've heard of some women going back to walking longer distances within a week. I'm just going to have to listen to my body as far as that goes. Hubby is going to be home with me for the first few days. He said he'll "Wait on me hand and foot". We'll see how long that lasts. :)
  • docbku
    docbku Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! I had a hysterectomy a little over a year ago. Give yourself 6 weeks to recover. I was walking on the treadmill after 2 weeks and you'll lose weight initially as you won't be in the mood to eat. You might want to consider using progesterone cream to avert night sweats and hot flashes. The good news is that you will have the opportunity to be the fittest person you can be following the procedure--no more taking days off due to pain or heavy bleeding. To be free from chronic pain is the best gift anyone can receive. You'll do great!
  • kwardklinck
    Options
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,607 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I have to admit, I am just a little envious. I have no need for my uterus anymore, and I wouldn't miss it one bit! However, I'm not envious of the surgery itself. I understand being nervous about gaining some weight back, but I predict you'll do just fine. Your body will probably retain some water from the shock of surgery. Don't let that stress you out too much. Just take good care of yourself during recovery. And, heck, even if you do gain a couple of pounds, you know how to lose it! :bigsmile:
  • 2daughtermom
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy in Nov 2008, after having 3 C-sections it was a piece of cake. Hopefully the fact that you were already very active and fit will mean a faster and better recovery.. walking is a MUST after any surgery, the sooner you can get up and walk after surgery the better (don't over do it but every trip to the bathroom adds up). Also, healing requires a Lot of calories so eating healthy with plenty of protein (for healing) and I bet you won't gain an ounce. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I will just let you know that after the healing is over ~ it is AWESOME!! So many things not to worry about anymore! :)
    I had mine in 1999, so I really can't remember what I ate. I wasn't dieting back then. But, I can tell you, it was one of the best things I ever did. Never have to worry about having an "accident" again.
  • 2daughtermom
    Options
    Forgot to mention, good luck and speedy recovery
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    I'm back ladies. I guess I really kind of worried for nothing. I didn't have much of an appetite the first couple of weeks but it increased slowly but surely. I have to admit, I've been quite lax about watching my calories. I gained about 2 pounds from eating not so great stuff but I'm back at it as of today. If I lose 5 more pounds, I'll be done. I have to take the exercise thing slowly. I know I'm not anywhere close to what I was before surgery and I'm getting a little soft, but I've noticed my belly is finally looking flatter than it did before surgery. I finally got rid of that "baby bump". Now if I can get my abs in great shape, I'll feel even better. I hope you all are doing well.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    oops...........welcome back and GREAT JOB!!