Death of cat, loss of motivation

Options
My beloved cat died last week. He was hit by a car and killed instantly. He was barely grown, only 2 1/2 years old, and his death really knocked me for six. He was just gorgeous and I absolutely adored him.

On the day he died, I couldn't care less about what I ate and that's fine with me -no point in regretting it. I was grieving. I didn't eat for comfort, I ate if and when I was hungry. I still haven't gotten back into my previous good habits though. I'm not pigging out or comfort eating, but I'm not eating healthily either. I've set myself a target to start logging everything from next Monday as I also go back to work then after a week off (not because of what happened - it's a scheduled holiday). In the meantime, I feel like I have more important things to worry about. Is that sensible? I don't want to start gaining weight again, but I also don't want food to be at the forefront of my mind.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your cat.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss :flowerforyou:

Take time to grieve, and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Make sensible choices when you feel up to it, take a gentle walk in the fresh air. Use the time as a diet break and aim to eat around maintenance. Give it time and get back on track when you feel up to it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. Self-loathing over falling off the wagon for a few days isn't going to help your state of mind. Setting a goal of Monday is a good plan. Stick with it and move forward.

Oh and BTW, don't be offended when people start posting cat gifs on your thread as is bound to happen any moment now :smile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. That's heartbreaking. I have a question, though. What's more important than your health?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    :cry: aww poor kitty.
  • vixstermh
    vixstermh Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thank you for your kind comments everyone. I think I'm making the right choice by taking it easy. @CallMeCupcakedammit - you're right, my health is important and I'm not intending to give up on all the hard work I've done up until now. I just need a little bit of time to adjust. If I'm not motivated by Monday then I'll be right back here demanding you all give me a kick up the backside!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you lost your kitty. That happened to me in September. I lost my cat of 14 years, and did what I called eating my feelings. After about a week of that I got back on track. (not to say after a week everybody should get over a loss, that was just me). Take as much time as you need. That is for you to decide.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry for your loss! Yes, take time to grieve and heal, but you said you don't want food to be in the forefront of your mind. Does that mean you think that if you do go back to focusing on yourself and your health that you feel like you aren't giving enough honor to your dear cat? Because I can see how you'd think that, but you CAN grieve and start getting health habits back into your day at the same time. Hang in there! Know that you gave your kitty all the love he/she deserved!
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your fur baby.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your kitty :( I lost mine, my best friend for 17 years, and it's devastating. Make a deal - if you find yourself not getting back on the wagon as planned next Monday, come back here and we'll kick you in the butt. Until then, nothing but hugs.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I have no idea what I would do if my kitty died, besides get her stuffed, and take a week off. Yes, she is that important, so be kind to yourself while grieving.
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My condolences on your loss....two of my boys in my profile pic are gone now. Your plan is a solid one. Set a date and then don't worry - pick the mantle back up then.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! My beloved dog of 14 years died a couple of months ago, and it was really hard on me. I took about a month off, not worrying about the gym or cutting calories or accurate logging. It's taking a bit of effort to get back into the swing of things, but I am.

Give yourself time to grieve, but know that exercise is better than drugs at enhancing mood and alleviating depression, so even if you do nothing more than take a long walk, you'll be doing yourself a favor.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh, my cat means the world to me, now you made me sad.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    vixstermh wrote: »
    Thank you for your kind comments everyone. I think I'm making the right choice by taking it easy. @CallMeCupcakedammit - you're right, my health is important and I'm not intending to give up on all the hard work I've done up until now. I just need a little bit of time to adjust. If I'm not motivated by Monday then I'll be right back here demanding you all give me a kick up the backside!

Ok, but be forewarned. I wear a 10 1/2 shoe!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your loss. I love kitties. I adopted the most amazing cat ever a few years ago. I only had her for 2 years when she got a mammary gland tumor which metastasized and left her with irreplaceable liver damage. She lost half her body weight in just a few months. I miss her dearly.

Work out and push your grieving out that way! It will get better.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    *HUGE HUGS* My heart hurts for you. So many don't understand, but it is heartbreaking to lose a pet. They take a little piece of you with you when they go. I still love my beloved Morris more than I love most people, and he's been gone 8 years now. I lost two boys last year, my second orange cat, Mo, he was only six, and our "old man", Spunky who was 15. You take the time you need to grieve. It hurts to lose your sweet companion, and so suddenly. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Monday is a new week, and a new start. Treasure the memories of your precious kitty, and be ready to take care of you. Will be glad to give support. <3
  • vixstermh
    Options
    Not everyone understands how devastating it is to lose a beloved pet so your words all mean a lot to me. Thank you.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss.