How did you quit smoking?

Options
Tiamo719
Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
I'm trying to help my boyfriend and my brother.

Is it like losing weight where as it has to be something you really want?

Replies

• ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Chantix!!!! Of course, you have to really want to quit!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cold turkey. Day one is uncomfortable, day two is agitation and headache. Day three of raging *kitten*/insanity and on day four I was free and life has been awesome ever since! If I were to do it again, I'd NyQuil myself twice on day three and sleep through it.

*Edited to correct typos*
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    It absolutely has to be something you want and are motivated to do. Mine started with a small promise to my son. I smoked in my car but not with my kids in the car, because that made it so much better. One cold winter day my kid was in the front seat when I kicked on the heat and I asked him if that was better. He said, "kind of but it smells like you are blowing smoke right into my face." It was a kick in the gut and I promised him that I would no longer smoke in the car. From there I decided if I could do that I could quit completely and set a date and stuck with it. This was right about the same time I decided to get into shape so the two just kind of went hand in hand. I still occasionally have a small craving but I know my kids and I deserve better than to even have one cigarette ever again. It's been since January 17, 2013 that I smoked.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Get checked into the hospital for three days of unnecessary heart tests. Decide to quit by day 3, just because you have survived 3 days without one.

Resist the constant barrage of questions from the nurses "are you sure you don't need a nicotine patch?" Probably because I was the worst patient on the planet.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant........
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I simply quit.

Found a lump (turned out to be nothing) but it was the same day my Mom told me an aunt who smoked for decades was going to the doctor for a biopsy. Seemed like maybe the universe was trying to tell me something....and I quit. Smoked 3 times since then, and it's been years since my last one.

Granted, I only smoked for about a year or two.

It also helped that I only liked blue dunhills - which were hard to find when I quit.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    OMG don't get me going. I waged this war for 5 years and tried every single method on the market at the time. (Won my battle 21 years ago, there were no pills then.) I did support groups, substitutes, weaker brands, longer filters, got hypnotized twice, acupuncture... I won't go on.

First of all have them keep a diary for a week of every cigarette they smoke. I was up to 3 packs a day so my diary was thick!

1) In the diary you indicate WHERE you were when you smoked it. "At home" doesn't cut it. "Sitting at the kitchen table" does.

2) Try to say WHY you smoked it. Habit? Stress? Boredom?

3) On a scale of 10, how much did you ENJOY it? You'd be amazed at how few you actually enjoy a lot.

This diary helps you to build a battle plan. Focus on those butts that are high on the scale of enjoyment.

First I rearranged my furniture. That may sound silly but you'd be amazed at how it helps to break a bad habit to make a little change like that.

I smoked almost solely at home so I quit in spring and stayed outside till bedtime for months. Perfected picnic suppers!

Remember that you only have to fight the craving for about a minute and a half and it actually goes away!!

My worst was first thing in the morning as my nicotine levels were so low after sleeping at night. I used to chain smoke when I first woke to get those levels endurable. ( Actually I chain smoked all day but I really sucked hard on those first few! LOL) I tackled this by jumping into the shower as soon as I woke. Who smokes in the shower?

Having said all this, I never would have succeeded without the patch to remove the pain of withdrawl. But the patch alone never would have done it either. The habit was far too ingrained.

It took 6 months before I could relax and know that I had finally conquered it. No matter what I have struggled with in the years since I have always said "this is nothing! I QUIT SMOKING!!!"

All the best to your loved ones and if you need more info hit up the Canadian Cancer Society website.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    PRAYER, worked for me :-)
  • belgarath64
    belgarath64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Zyban did the trick for me
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Chantix for me, but as others have said, you have to be ready and want to.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Doc prescribed Wellbutrin when I said I wanted to stop, took that for 3 months, but still had to really want to. It helped a lot though, been stopped for 7 years now.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I quit cold-turkey. It was pretty bad. I've replaced my smoking habit with chewing gum. It's a lot cheaper and it's not so bad for you. Kind of unattractive, but w/e.
  • Rixx31
    Rixx31 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey here too.
    I smoked about a pack a day for years from back when I was a teenager.
    When I decided to quit, I tried the patch first time. Ended up falling off and smoking MORE.
    Finally decided to go Cold Turkey. It was hell for the first couple of weeks. I was irritable, ate more, and had the constant craving for a smoke.

For me, after about 8 weeks the major cravings eventually started to subside.
    After that, the worst part was going out to the pub with my friends because it was almost second nature to light up a cig, especially after a meal out. This was the part where the craving would come back out of the blue for probably around 6 months to a year after I quit. And if someone offered me one, there would be a really long pause before saying `No`...
    One thing I never did was smoke in the car or in the house, I would always smoke outside or hang out of my bedroom window. Couldn't and still can't stand the stink of a smoked-up room or car.

I ended up quitting once, then starting up again for a couple of years after I moved to the States. Haven't smoked another since.
    I gave up finally in the middle of a very stressful situation, which may have been the wrong time to quit. I figured if I can quit during this time, I could do it at any other. Never looked back. WIllpower was the key.

One incentive would be to look at how much you would save if you smoked a pack a day.
    $8 or $9 per day? Soon adds up over a year. Not to mention your health, and how much you could potentially save on medical bills in years to come.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!! I will pass this on to my loved ones <3
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Chantix and I quit when I was ready. Quitting smoking is a lot scarier than a non smoker can ever imagine. Well, thinking about quitting was scary, once I quit, I couldn't figure out why I had waited so long.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Switch to cigars and join me :)
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    just stopped! Didn't want to do it anymore.
  • mochahontas228
    mochahontas228 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I never started
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. Day one is uncomfortable, day two is agitation and headache. Day three of raging *kitten*/insanity and on day four I was free and life has been awesome ever since! If I were to do it again, I'd NyQuil myself twice on day three and sleep through it.

*Edited to correct typos*

+1.

I bought those e-cigs, but didn't like "pretending". Cold turkey was the best for me. Also, I'd advise to start by breaking the habits (i.e. after eating, lighting up first thing once you start driving) etc...it HELPS A LOT.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hypnotist. And a good friend. But I really think I was just ready to finally quit.