Walmart category as "Fat Girl"

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Should have just put "Plus size" instead of "Fat Girl". Then it would have been acceptable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I agree. I also find it rather silly that they used a model half the size of the actual potential customers.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate, but I'm not overly fussed or offended by it. Whoever was building that area of the site probably used it as a placeholder and forgot to go back and change it before publishing it.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    For the record, I would have found it just as comical if it had said "Fat Dude"..........hahaha
  • theskinnyonme
    Options
    ^^ Just made giggle :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Does Walmart sell actual "Fat Suits"?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• theskinnyonme
    Options
    I dont know that is a good question.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think it was probably put there by someone who was making a joke with their buddies and forget to fix it before the page went live. That said, I do think it's offensive simply because when a person calls something a "fat girl" what-have-you, they're doing it for the express purpose of being offensive. They're using it as a derogatory term, not as an some innocently truthful description like some people seem to want to argue. Whatever fool did that and forgot to take it off the website didn't do it as some crusade for public honesty or health or as a simple oversight because they just didn't realize how people would take it. They did it to have a laugh because everyone knows how fun it is to bully and laugh at fat people and, in particular, fat girls. The problem with it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not "fat girls" are actually fat or accept that they're fat or want to blame others for being fat. It has to do with the fact that people never seem to grow out of thinking its fun and acceptable to randomly bully and poke fun at certain groups of people.

Also, I don't blame Walmart. I think it was just some ignoramous programmer who thought he was a laugh riot.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I find the marketing nightmare funny, and I wonder what the memos/emails look like. Also it's pretty awesome as an internal control failure example.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I find it all pretty comical, and to the extent it erodes Walmart's reputation just a bit further... oh darn.
  • theskinnyonme
    Options
    Walmart has a rep to erode? :o lol
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a rep to erode? :o lol

People still go there :p
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Last year we had 'mental patient' and 'psycho ward' costumes in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24278768

Given that it's just as hilariously appalling and Asda is owned (or part owned) by Wal-Mart, I figure it's relevant.
  • theskinnyonme
    Options
    ^^ Very interesting
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Speaks volumes about the people who work for Walmart.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don['t think it's offensive. When I used to shop in the Plus Size clothing section, I always thought of it as the "fat chick" clothes in my head. Because, lets face it, they were clothes for fat chicks, and I was one of them. People are too damn sensitive. Why do we have to use nice flowery words for things all the time. At 270lbs I wasn't curvy, I wasn't voluptuous I was fat. Or, if you prefer the technical term, Obese.

Anyway, given all the photos I've seen on the internet of people in Walmart (I'm in Aus), I'm suprised the Fat Girl category isn't real. And in fact the only category they stock for women.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If I had been browsing the website, I wouldn't have even batted an eye. It's what I'm thinking anyway. I have on more than one occasion gone into a department store and asked to be directed to the "fat-lady" clothes.... Now back to the subject of costumes. I'll be surprised if their fat girl costumes actually fit fat girls considering the last regular sized costume I bought for my sister when she was in highschool looked great on the model pictured but barely fit on my sister's size 4 body... The fine print stated "model in picture is 5'7" and 110 pounds" WTH?
  • DawnNathan
    DawnNathan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    wamydia wrote: »
    I think it was probably put there by someone who was making a joke with their buddies and forget to fix it before the page went live. That said, I do think it's offensive simply because when a person calls something a "fat girl" what-have-you, they're doing it for the express purpose of being offensive. They're using it as a derogatory term, not as an some innocently truthful description like some people seem to want to argue. Whatever fool did that and forgot to take it off the website didn't do it as some crusade for public honesty or health or as a simple oversight because they just didn't realize how people would take it. They did it to have a laugh because everyone knows how fun it is to bully and laugh at fat people and, in particular, fat girls. The problem with it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not "fat girls" are actually fat or accept that they're fat or want to blame others for being fat. It has to do with the fact that people never seem to grow out of thinking its fun and acceptable to randomly bully and poke fun at certain groups of people.

Also, I don't blame Walmart. I think it was just some ignoramous programmer who thought he was a laugh riot.

amen, well said
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I found it hilarious. You know the person responsible probably got their a s s handed to them.