Honeymoon Trip - Scared to take off my shirt?

Our honeymoon is coming up - mexico!

Most of the trip involves swimming in oceans, swimming in cenotes (caves), ziplining into lakes, etc. Uggh - the more I think about it and remember I am fat (obese) and look gross with my shirt off I get scared. I don't wanna be the one guy with his shirt on either. Maybe we should have gone somewhere cold.

I am really trying to just be happy in my own skin and realize who cares what other people think - but it's hard. I know we will just be surrounded by skinny fit people the whole time.

Do skinny people on the beach get grossed out by fat people on the beach showing their stuff?

2ekuveppyo2i.png

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Dude, it's not like half the country isn't obese too. Nobody else will care.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Mahahhahh....seriously. The first time I went to Mexico we went to a gorgeous beach in Tulum. There are ruins there and that's what most people come to see, but when they see the beach, they have to swim.

I'll tell you this right now, the busload of geriatric German tourists that did not hesitate to drop trou? Neither skinny, nor fit.

And no, nobody cares. And remember your new wife? She kinda likes you the way you are I bet.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited October 2014
    thcguy123 wrote: »

Most of the trip involves swimming in oceans, swimming in cenotes (caves), ziplining into lakes, etc. Uggh - the more I think about it and remember I am fat (obese) and look gross with my shirt off I get scared. I don't wanna be the one guy with his shirt on either. Maybe we should have gone somewhere cold.

I am really trying to just be happy in my own skin and realize who cares what other people think - but it's hard. I know we will just be surrounded by skinny fit people the whole time.

Do skinny people on the beach get grossed out by fat people on the beach showing their stuff?

As long as you're just showing your belly and not your stuff I doubt anyone will care. You're going to fit right in if you're in a tourist area. Of course there will be some people with amazing bodies. Just enjoy them but typically it's not disgusting to see overweight people with no shirt. Guys get a lot more slack for this than women do. Just shave your back if it looks like a gorilla. Other than that no worries.

Keep working on it if you're not liking your current shape but don't stress.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    In mexico...if anyone notices, they are not drunk enough. On vacation I have always noticed big and small without shirts or in bikinis...and really...if anyone cares - they dont know how to truly vacation anyway.
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    As a guy who has been there (though I am 40 lbs down now) I always to solace in these facts:

1. No matter how fat/obese you are/think you are there will always be someone on the beach that is bigger than you. This one may not be the nicest thing to think, but I was not judging others. I was only hoping that those people would be the distraction. Also, when people leave they won't be talking about you; they will be talking about the dude from Europe wearing a thong. Those memories are forever....
    2. Also, you will likely never see these people again.
    3. You have made the choice to be on here and (I assume) change. Think of this as a collection of your before photos.

I would add that, in your case, at least you don't have the man-boob thing going. That was always my biggest insecurity!

Just enjoy yourself man!
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    In mexico...if anyone notices, they are not drunk enough. On vacation I have always noticed big and small without shirts or in bikinis...and really...if anyone cares - they dont know how to truly vacation anyway.

^^^^Yeah, this too.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited October 2014
    Most people don't care about other people's fatness or lack of fatness. And TRUST ME here, they've seen fatter than you. I routinely see women in bikinis who are fatter than you are. Foreigners, especially, do not hide the fat.

Do not waste your time, happiness or money worrying about your fat. If you do, you'll regret it one day.

You won't see those people after the vacation, anyway.

Your wife-to-be loves you, so the rest doesn't matter.

Enjoy and have fun! Life is short!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    I would not worry about it, women tend to get judged alot more it than men.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    That sounds like a fun trip! I hope you enjoy it.

If you really don't want to take your shirt off maybe you could wear a rash guard?

I do agree with the other posters, you don't have anything to worry about, I just mention it if it would make you feel more comfortable.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Have fun!!! And don't worry about a thing. I'm 330 lbs and I wore a TWO PIECE at the beach this summer because if every other chick can why can't I? :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    I've been on a few beach vacations, and it's definitely not a collection of beautiful people judging you there. It's a lot of everyday people who are just there to relax and have fun on their own vacations. You will see all shapes and body sizes, and my paranoid-of-a-sunburn father is the only guy on the beach in a shirt.

If you're in a resort with a lot of European tourists, you'll see quite quickly that they don't have the same sense of (shame? modesty?) that North Americans do. Grandpa will be out there in his speedo.

Just have fun and be yourself. And remember that these are strangers you'll never see again.
  • True - thanks for advice and for saying I am not the biggest person you've ever seen. I am losing - slowly but surely.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    You know,I learned to love my fat body more and more as I traveled.Traveling taught me to love my body as is,so many other countries have people who don't give a crap about what others think.I've seen plenty of really big people naked at nude beaches..they were nude,flabby,hairy,and fantastic!! They only cared about the fun.

This is your honeymoon,spend the time enjoying your bride and making great memories...and Mexico is filled with people of all sizes..Congrats and enjoy!
  • mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Don't let it hold you back! Your wife loves you the way you are. Don't let your insecurity make you uncomfortable or afraid to participate in things. I've read several of the above comments, and they have great advice! If you're not having a good time, it will hard for your wife to enjoy herself, too, so try to let loose, and focus on how great of a time you're gonna be having!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    go on a quick fast, you can lose a lot, who cares, its all about you, show your stuff and go have fun!
  • Like a juice cleanse or what do you mean fast?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

No.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    You are there for your honeymoon. Don't worry about anything else.

Your wife is marrying you and loves you just the way you are.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Like a juice cleanse or what do you mean fast?

No. You will be feeling like *kitten* from some stupid fast/cleanse/purge and still freak out from taking your shirt off.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Nobody will care, and those who might are not worth thinking about. You won't be seeing them again anyway. You don't look bad shirtless either. Yes you are overweight, but you look proportionate.