Caffeine withdrawal = really hungry?

Options
I'm on day five of no caffeine (have had some bother with indigestion so am trying to see if it helps). The last three days, as well as the expected headaches, I have been unbelievably hungry. I'm staying hydrated, drinking at least if not more water than I was in coffee and diet coke,but am just really hungry. Has anyone else had this? Could it be something else causing it or is it likely the detox?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Reflux?

It may not be caffeine. Both coffee & Diet Coke have acid. Cold brew coffee may help (I'm a tea drinker). Also, Diet A&W Root Beer.....very low on the acid scale. Since I swore off Coke (and Pepsi)....by heartburn is much less frequent.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no...I don't think hunger is a side effect of not having caffeine...hunger is usually a sign of needing to eat...true hunger that is. A lot of "hunger" is all in the head though for a lot of people.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stopping coffee can cause temporary feelings of headaches, shakiness, lightheadedness, . . . .
    Use this time to sleep more or take more walks.
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you did a little bit of research, you would find out that coffee/caffeine tends to suppress the appetite. So the idea of "unlimited coffee" is used in SO many diets people write books about. :} I'm not surprised you are feeling hungry because once I tried to ditch the coffee habit and I was amazed on how hungry I felt. It will pass though. Tried and tested. :}
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It may also be as simple as you trained yourself like I did to eat when I was really thirsty. I know it's crazy sounding but it's true. Follow your heart and no matter what you decide to do the hunger pains will go away once your body adjusts.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Caffeine can be an appetite suppressant for some people. Personally I love caffeine and would never quit. However don't use caffeine as an excuse not to hit your calorie or macro goals. If you are hungry, eat more, just exercise more to compensate

#no excuses
  • SMarieEM
    SMarieEM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is so going to be me. From tracking what I eat I realized I get HALF my daily calories from soda. I cant do diet because the aspartame gives me migraines. UGHHHH Depression.