winter hibernation help

Options
just curious if anyone has found a way to work through the winter hibernation mode.

im at work its 4:45pm and getting dark ,i get so sleepy in the winter. ive tried vitamin d but only helps a little.

how does anyone get the motivation to go to the gym when its pitch dark in the morning and when you get out of work

ugh going to be long winter.

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people using lights, phototherapy, that simulate the sun. Helps people with seasonal affective depressive disorder.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I head out even when it is minus 30 and a blizzard, I snowshoe, ski, sleigh, hike, EVERYTHING!, In fact I almost do more in the winter then the summer. GIDDY UP!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the best way to get rid of the winter blues
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The best way to beat winter hibernation is to... embrace winter sports!

I downhill ski. I've been doing it since I was a kid. I absolutely love it, and look forward to winter and snow every year just 'cause I get giddy about getting up on skis.

Downhill skiing not for you? Try cross-country. Or skating. Or snowshoeing. Or hockey. Curling. Ice sailing. Snowball fight.. Building a snowman. Sidewalk-skating in flat boots. Whatever floats your boat.

Seriously, winter's gonna happen one way or the other. The only thing you can do is decide how to approach it in terms of attitude.

(Or move someplace warm.)
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i live on long island no winter sports here really, and some winters it hardly snows at all just cold and dark. i hate the darkness i dont get depressed just very sleepy and lazy.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This might be useful to you: http://www.longisland.com/winter-sports.html

Also, try to get some natural daylight into your day. If you sit in a cubicle, request to move to a desk by a window if possible. Go out at lunchtime for a 15-20 minute walk. Try not to live your entire life in the dark. That makes a huge difference, I find.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i could go on a little walk for lunch :) ,cant move my desk, besides sledding and indoor ice skating not much sports wise. good advice though thanks
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Definitely get into the sunshine any chance you get. Walk on your breaks, eat lunch outside, whatever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The darkness gets to me too. I've thought about trying the light that's supposed to help, and second the suggestion to get out in the daylight as you can.

I've been heading out to run or go to the gym in the darkness and find it gets easier as you get in the habit (I'm a morning person anyway, though). One thing I've been enjoying is running while it gets light--tends to always make me feel good.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    This is my first winter season using a sunrise simulator lamp, and it definitely makes it much easier to get up and going in the morning. I wish I'd had one of these years ago.