Lost 46 lbs 15 more to go but it's not happening! Please advice

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    karenkasbi wrote: »
    Can someone tell me at what BF percentage my muscles will start showing? Possibly at 15%?

What method do you measure body fat? Not all methods are predictably accurate. But typically 19-22% for women to see muscle definition. 15% would be quite lean. The actress Linda Hamilton got down to 14% for the movie Terminator 2, very muscular and veins visible. I wouldn't worry too much about the number, as long as you keep working towards the look you want.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This can give you an idea: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/ (scroll down to the pictures of women).

Depends on how much muscle you have to reveal, and, to a certain extent, your genetics. Some folks can be quite strong and only have minimal definition, and vice-versa.

Dropping from 26% to 22% in only two months is pretty incredible -- most women would consider that to be very rapid progress.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're 5ft5 and want to be 113lbs? :huh:
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

yeah, I want to be lean and strong with 15% body fat and wear whatever I want at anytime of the year. I don't like T25 Phase 2 very much, I think I'm gonna start Insanity Max 30 in January; currently on a break. I use an iFit scale to measure my weight, body mass index, body fat percentage and calorie intake. Now at 22% I still have a bit of stomach and belly fat, I don't look fit at all and my body is kinda softer compared to sometime ago, I don't know why, I'm finding it repulsive. I guess I have to stay dedicated throughout winter.
  • hill8570
    Options
    yeah, I want to be lean and strong with 15% body fat and wear whatever I want at anytime of the year. I don't like T25 Phase 2 very much, I think I'm gonna start Insanity Max 30 in January; currently on a break. I use an iFit scale to measure my weight, body mass index, body fat percentage and calorie intake. Now at 22% I still have a bit of stomach and belly fat, I don't look fit at all and my body is kinda softer compared to sometime ago, I don't know why, I'm finding it repulsive. I guess I have to stay dedicated throughout winter.

Have you considered some heavy lifting? With the rapid weight loss you've had, you're going to have had some muscle wasting and the usual loose skin. Hitting the barbells on a beginner program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength will help restore the muscle wastage. Loose skin is a different story, but having a solid core certainly helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me at what BF percentage my muscles will start showing? Possibly at 15%?

I'm 5'5", a bit under 61 kilos, and my muscles are showing just fine. I don't know what your frame size is, but it's never been possible for me to maintain anything under 59 kilos, heck I'm not even sure I can get that low anymore because my body keeps screaming for food when I do...

I'm thinking your body fat measurements must be way off, but either way your muscles should be showing by now, unless you've lost them all while losing weight or something... You should probably focus on real strength training programs and not cardio ones.
  • karenkasbi
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would love to do strength training, I don't have time to go to the gym at all. I have a full time job and I freelance from home. The only thing I can fit in my schedule is 30 minutes of training. I have some weights at home, maybe I can do it at home at night? Do I need a coach for that?
    I don't have loose skin, I don't even have stretch marks, it's just my body kinda feels softer compared to a year ago.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    How old were you when you fit in that size 4 dress, and how old are you now? Have you been pregnant during the time in between?

Age and pregnancy can permanently change the way your body is shaped and fits in clothes. I went through a period of being grossly underweight a few years ago (5'6" and about 105 lbs at that point) and even then there was no fitting my 40 year old mom of 3 broader ribs and hips into the dresses that I wore as a 115 pound teenager.

I'd suggest buying a nice 2 piece bathing suit and use how you look in that as your new motivator -- muscle tone and lack of visible flab will make you feel proud and healthy, much more so than numbers on a scale.
  • karenkasbi
    Options
    I was always 110 pounds, until I was 24 and I went through depression and took pills for a year. In that time I gained some weight. I don't know, these pills are awful. I've never been pregnant. Now I'm 26, I bought a size 4 skirt last week, it's great. Now I just want to get stronger and look fit. I'd love to know about strength training programs I can do at home that are efficient and effective. I'd love to do Insanity if it's gonna help me build muscle.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy, do I feel you on those anti-depressants. It was PPD that sent me down to that unhealthy low weight and the pills that got me a 40 pound weight gain over the mere two months I was taking them. Five years later, and I've managed to lose 10 pounds, would like to lose 10 more of fat, but am also lifting heavy in an effort to build some strength and help prevent future bone disease.

If you don't have gym access or free weights at home, I have seen people here recommend googling Convict Conditioning and Your Body is Your Gym for some good muscle building programs without equipment.
  • hill8570
    Options
    I would love to do strength training, I don't have time to go to the gym at all. I have a full time job and I freelance from home. The only thing I can fit in my schedule is 30 minutes of training. I have some weights at home, maybe I can do it at home at night? Do I need a coach for that?
    I don't have loose skin, I don't even have stretch marks, it's just my body kinda feels softer compared to a year ago.

Philosophical correction: you've got the time; it's a matter of priorities. No worries...your priorities are none of my business, and 30 minutes is a whole hell of a lot better than zero.

What sort of weights? Dumbbells? Kettlebells? Some sort of barbell set? You can do a limited amount of strength training with body weight / dumbbells / kettlebells, although you rapidly reach the point you can't challenge your muscles. Cross that bridge when you get there. Let us know what you've got to work with.
  • karenkasbi
    Options
    I have 8 lbs dumbbells. I can also buy new equipment as long as it doesn't take so much space. I just got my Insanity 30 Max program, I checked it out, it has some strength training. So is it a bad idea if I do that? Maybe I can do that and also add 15 minutes of strength training? Thanks!!
  • karenkasbi
    Options
    I still want to lose 5 kgs to reach my goal, I'm 56 kgs currently.
  • hill8570
    Options
    IIRC, Insanity 30 Max is mostly cardio, but if it incorporates some barbell work it's probably enough for muscle sparing. If you're trying to get stronger, you'll probably outgrow the 8 pounders pretty quickly. You could also look into some bodyweight strength training, such as Convict Conditioning, for other strength training.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    that last 10-15 are the hardest. slip in a few HIIT a week and up water intake.