Needing advice on pre-workouts - should I or shouldn't I?

Options
I've never had any interest in pre-workouts before, but I was doing some research on them and am wondering if I should try it.

I lift at 5AM, so some extra energy, focus, and pump would probably help me get a lot more out of my workout that I am right now. However, I don't want to have to depend on the pre-workout to lift x amount of weight. I don't want to eventually stop taking it and lose any strength gains I've made while on them. I'm just not sure how to feel about pre-workout supplements in general, as I have absolutely no experience with them.

I was thinking about getting a sample of Cellucor C4 Extreme, since it seems to be quite popular.

So, do you take a pre-workout? What are some pros and cons in your opinion (I've Googled it, so I'm not looking for a website with pros and cons - just more personal experience stuff)? What kind do you take? What do you think it does for you?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Big cup of coffee and some nuts/peanut butter/protein. My philosophy is anyone in their 20 and early 30s doesn't need to take pre-workout since we're at the perfect age to grow strength. Anyone older should also avoid that stuff since too much caffeine can be rough.
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also work out early in the mornings. I used to be a big fan of c4. It definitely works, but I disliked how much caffeine and "stim" feeling it had. I'm currently using Optimum Nutrition AmiN.O. Energy. Pretty cheap and 100mg/caffeine per serving, and it still has beta alinine for the pump sensation. however, with any preworkout, it is recommended to cycle off of them every few months.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Pre workouts are all stimulant based. Working out is mostly going to be about attitude. Oh and making sure you get enough rest.

My take: unneeded.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Basically pretty unneeded provided you don't have some funky physiology. Me, I pound salts pretty heavy prior, because I sweat like a colander filled with water.
  • GabeRuth_
    Options
    C4 is the best. I would definitely recommend it if you are feeling tired. It helps you do extra lifts,heavier lifts, and keeps you focused during your workouts.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    GabeRuth_ wrote: »
    C4 is the best. I would definitely recommend it if you are feeling tired. It helps you do extra lifts,heavier lifts, and keeps you focused during your workouts.

None of that happens for me over my baseline ECA stack. It tastes good though. Placebo effect?
  • tooheyz
    tooheyz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lift at 4am in the morning - and I find pre-workout helps me. Gives me the extra focus to get that one or two extra reps in. C4 worked well, though I found that I crashed come around 10am with it. I am currently using hemorage black - it's intense! And no crash.

Just give it a go and see how you feel. Everyone is different.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    My problem is getting loose enough before. A hot shower is probably the best pre-workout thing I could do
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm using ON pre workouts right now. The only one that gives me a tingly feeling is the ON Platinum Pre. I use that on nights when I know my workout is going to be extra tough. I use the Amino energy most other days.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If I worked out at 5AM and didn't take a pre-workout I'd probably die.

Why not just try it and see how you feel? They aren't magic but they can definitely get your butt moving when you need to.
  • dawsonjd
    Options
    Same as above, I use Pre-Jym and i love it, its fairly new, but I love the energy it gives me. I work out after work and go to bed usually 2 hours after i'm done lifting and have no problem sleeping. Its very effective but wears in about 2 hours but i dont crash. I highly recommend Pre's just start off with half the dose until you know how your body reacts.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Big cup of coffee and some nuts/peanut butter/protein. My philosophy is anyone in their 20 and early 30s doesn't need to take pre-workout since we're at the perfect age to grow strength. Anyone older should also avoid that stuff since too much caffeine can be rough.

So, basically don't take it period?

What does growing strength have to do with taking a pre-workout? It's an energy boost...

Anyway, It's up to you... I stopped buying the pre-mixed branded ones a while ago. Now I just pop a caffeine pill prior to lifting and a scoop of beta-alanine. Same effect for 1/10th the cost.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

What does growing strength have to do with taking a pre-workout? It's an energy boost...

Anyway, It's up to you... I stopped buying the pre-mixed branded ones a while ago. Now I just pop a caffeine pill prior to lifting and a scoop of beta-alanine. Same effect for 1/10th the cost.

I don't believe in taking any prepackaged stimulants that are manufactured by a company that only wants your $$$. You can get the same results with some caffeine and a good high energy breakfast and a big glass of cold water. Mental fatigue can be a problem but cranking your body up on more stims than you're used too might not be a good idea.

I am just someone who likes to keep my cost down when it comes to working out. Pre-workout is just fluff and a waste of money to me. I am at peak testosterone levels and the best shape I've been in my entire life. Being a little tired when I go to workout isn't a problem. I just push through it.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I hear they work better on an empty stomach
  • dawsonjd
    dawsonjd Posts: 27
    edited October 2014
    Options

I don't believe in taking any prepackaged stimulants that are manufactured by a company that only wants your $$$. You can get the same results with some caffeine and a good high energy breakfast and a big glass of cold water. Mental fatigue can be a problem but cranking your body up on more stims than you're used too might not be a good idea.

I am just someone who likes to keep my cost down when it comes to working out. Pre-workout is just fluff and a waste of money to me. I am at peak testosterone levels and the best shape I've been in my entire life. Being a little tired when I go to workout isn't a problem. I just push through it.

while i agree with much of what your saying, i don't agree with everything, i think there are PWOs out there that are leaps and bounds better. For me i want a PWO with at least acetyl l Cystein, Betaine, Creatine, bcaa's, beta-alanine, citrulline mialate. I've tried all these ingredients separately but together its a whole difference experience. The other huge problem with supplements in general is under dosing (dusting), concentrates and proprietary blends. This is why i love Pre-Jym and the whole line up, its based off up front advertising and not leaving the consumer in the dark about what they are putting in their body. and @ $35 a tub, its hardly breaking the bank.

Working 10 days in a row 14 hour days on top of a hour commute a day, i feel like a PWO is not only needed but required. I know if i take a scoop of it in my car on the way home i have to go to the gym or i wont sleep. for me its a staple product, just have to pick the right one.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Coffee and branch chain aminos....unless you are a pro athlete ( and therefore get them for free) don't waste your money. Make sure your nutrition and hydration is right. Many of the stimulants can cause long term issues for instance taking taurine without balancing it against beta alanine can cause long term damage to your energy recruitment systems, others don't add anything except give you a buzz...... Treat carefully...
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I tried it - Grenade powder or something? It was horrible. I felt jittery and it didn't seem to make a damned bit of difference to my workout - I think I was expecting it to turn me into a superhero or something ;)

Cup of coffee and a good breakfast for me before a workout (normally oats with whey and PB).
  • DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use ON Pre, but only on the days I am really dragging. Your body will build up a tolerance otherwise and then defeats the whole purpose when you then become reliant on it. My 2 cents anyways.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    By no means a deal breaker.

Can be useful occasionally but cheaper just to have a strong black coffee.

Can be a hindrance if you're sensitive to stimulants.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    In my view a gimmick and for most people they're unnecessary. Although if I worked 14 hour days 10 days on like the poster above I'd probably take 2! Lol.