Trying to get back on the wagon?

Hey there! Here is my story, and I'm looking for people in a similar boat who might want the added support! :smile:

I started on MFP back in February of 2012 at 240lbs (I'm 5'8") after struggling with my weight for 24 years. I finally got motivated and discovered a love for running, and I finally managed to lose 77lbs in 8 1/2 months. At that time, my grandfather passed away, and it threw me off my game. I never managed to get it back.

I still run occasionally, and I still try to be careful on how I eat, but I've never gotten back to a regular diet and exercise program. It completely shook the lifestyle that I had been so careful to craft. Now, I'm at 191.5... Over 28lbs more than I was at my lowest weight.

I'm trying to get motivated again, and I'm looking for anyone in a similar situation, or anyone that is heading towards a similar goal.

Please add me! Let's be friends!

Replies

• Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Hi Kweant40. I'm Cat, age 54. I'm trying to find some motivation, too. My advice is: Don't turn 50 and have major surgery and go through menopause, ha ha. It equals belly fat and a thickening of the waist. And I'm sure you've heard: a waist is a terrible thing to mind. Oh, I'm just a riot today.

Seriously though, "move more, eat less" is the only strategy that's worked for me in the past. Oh how I wish I loved running, or be one of those people who just can't sit still, but alas, no. I recently joined a CrossFit gym about a mile from my home, so distance is not an excuse.

I have found it helpful to put on my workout clothes upon awakening. Then, read some motivational stuff on MyFitnessPal. Lastly, and most importantly, I put on my Blinders. For me, this means Don't think about it, Don't hem-n-haw, Just get in the car and GO. I tend to be a big thinker, and I can talk my self out of all sorts of stuff. So Blinders are an essential piece of equipment for me. Thanks for starting this thread, You can add me as a friend.

Cat
    Wasatch Range in Utah
  • kayglo
    kayglo Posts: 21
    edited October 2014
    I lost almost 2 stone 2 years ago and gained it back, lost it, gained it... You know the story. Now decided I can't do this without support, the initial 2 stone was kick started with MFP help. I'm in :) I should say I definitely need to lose more than 2 stone though.
  • katieboo_1996
    katieboo_1996 Posts: 8 Member
    Hey Kweant40 and Cat, My name is Katie. I too am trying for lose the pounds because of health reasons. It would be nice to have some friends along the way. So, if you would like please add me. I am determined to make my goal even if its only small goals. At the moment I'm stuck! I'm doing the workout and watching the diet but I'm still not losing. Any tips?
  • Feistycat
    Hi Ladies, I googled around for tips and found some ideas on the Prevention website that describe things naturally slim people do. For instance:
    - Choose satisfied over stuffed. Have you heard of "hara hachi bu"? It's a Japanese concept about eating until you feel 80% full; then you stop.
    - Realize hunger isn't an emergency.
    - Eat more fruit
    - Be a creature of habit. Choose the same foods day in and day out. Boring, right? But they say that lots of variety stimulates you to eat more.

There were other suggestions, too, like: Don't use food to cure the blues (Duh). Anyway, these are just some ideas for your (our) perusal.

I also googled what "2 stone" means. A stone is 14 pounds, so 2 stone would be 28 pounds. Just in case you were wondering (I know I was). B)
  • katieboo_1996
    katieboo_1996 Posts: 8 Member
    Hey Cat, those are some great tips! and yes I was wondering what the heck was a stone? LOL now I know :)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited October 2014
    Hi! I'm Emma. I had an epiphany that "dieting" "until I hit a certain weight" was a roller coaster trap.

I need to have a plan I can live with for the rest of my life.

For me, that's been tracking what I eat and generally staying within the guidelines for the pace of weight loss I want to achieve (I'm almost half way to my close to 90 pound weight loss goal).

Once I hit that goal, I plan on continuing to track what I eat, so calorie creep doesn't set in.

I've added in some more produce (mostly fruit), and cut a lot of unnecessary grain from my daily intake, but the grains would probably creep back in if I didn't track everything.

In the meantime, I'm working to build a few calorie burning habits. I don't enjoy running, but I enjoy leisurely bicycle riding. It won't burn calories as fast as running, but I'm more inclined to do it, so it's a plus for me.

Please feel free to "friend" me.
  • Feistycat
    Hello my friends, and Happy Halloween!

I saw something in a magazine today which read: A TV fitness guru once said it's a public service to look good for others.

Now on the one hand, that could sort of piss me off, because don't we women already do for enough "for others" as it is? Reminds me of those lyrics...and all the girls who dress up for each other...

But on the other hand I have to smile, because hey, I'm not just getting in shape for myself, I'm benefitting my neighborhood and community! It's an interesting way of looking at how I choose to project myself and express myself to the outside world.

Emma, welcome! I'm right with ya on that running thing. I despise it. But I do enjoy a leisurely bike ride. Congratulations on your 45-ish pound weight loss! Keep it up!

-Cat
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    edited October 2014
    Yoda says, do or do not, there is no try. ;)

• AuntKeke1315
    AuntKeke1315 Posts: 27 Member
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Yoda says, do or do not, there is no try. ;)

Wise words! I am getting it done!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    What did you do this weekend to back up your declaration?
  • AuntKeke1315
    AuntKeke1315 Posts: 27 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    What did you do this weekend to back up your declaration?

I went on a nice long run and spent a half hour in the fitness center! It felt so good!
    I am trying to find time to go for runs during the week! Time management is next on my to-do list!
  • Laney995
    Laney995 Posts: 3 Member
    I gained all the weight I lost after binging :( need motivation pls.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Awesome!! Dont forget youre writing your success story - so take pics and record all the work youre going to be doing! mementos!
This discussion has been closed.