Halloween

Options
How are you dealing with it?

We bought just one type of candy on Monday: 3 Musketeers - still many kids' favorite, but not as bad as the carmel and peanut candies like Snickers or Milky Way (awesome candies)
- Thankfully, the office work candy bowl is full of stuff I don't like (yay!)
- We have an office work Halloween party tomorrow. I volenteered to bring a healthier, but me-friendly dish.
-
- What are you doing or not doing?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    As usual, I bought the candy I like most: Starbursts, Skittles, Reese's PB cups, Kit Kats and Baby Ruths.

I refuse to turn into one of those people who gives kids what they think kids should eat (like raisins) instead what the kids want. Or a damn toothbrush.

They want candy and they're getting candy. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    octhawk wrote: »
    How are you dealing with it?

We bought just one type of candy on Monday: 3 Musketeers - still many kids' favorite, but not as bad as the carmel and peanut candies like Snickers or Milky Way (awesome candies)
    - Thankfully, the office work candy bowl is full of stuff I don't like (yay!)
    - We have an office work Halloween party tomorrow. I volenteered to bring a healthier, but me-friendly dish.
    -
    - What are you doing or not doing?

Fail for not getting Reeses and isn't bringing a you friendly dish to a party kind of self centered, not everyone is on a diet or might be able to eat things in moderation

Personally i'm eating all the candy
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I got Reese's, Kit Kats, Milk Duds, red Twizzlers, Reese's Pieces and Heath Bars. My son asked me why I got all the candy "I" like. Dude, I got what was cheapest! It's just a mere coincidence that Reese's were part of the package. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! I've only eaten 3 pieces of candy so far. I've got a good handle on that stuff now, so I don't worry about it anymore.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wanted to get them candy that they like as opposed to raisins or rice cakes or toothbrushes or whatnot, but I think most kids like 3 Musketeers. I actually remember last year, kids sorting through the candy, looking for them!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I don't get the candy till the night before that way I don't have it around the house and in my face. Of course, it is the time of year for bulking... :\
  • octhawk
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I thought buying late, would be a good idea too, but my husband said we should buy on Monday because it's our normal shopping day. With only a week, it's easy to stay away, but if there's leftovers...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    octhawk wrote: »
    I thought buying late, would be a good idea too, but my husband said we should buy on Monday because it's our normal shopping day. With only a week, it's easy to stay away, but if there's leftovers...

And next day sales... you just can't win! ;)
  • octhawk
    Options
    I actually don't like Reese's so that'd be real easy to stay away from. I was just going to go with the "candy bar" packs (mixed bag of Snickers, 3 Musketeers and Milky Ways) because it's what I thought the kids liked best. It's what my brother and I always deemed the "score" items. Then I decided to do just the 3 Musketeers pack. Are Reese's a score item to those with kids?
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I bought candy corn for the house...it's now gone. I'm not going to buy any more candy, but I will be taking my grandson trick or treating. I will also be stealing some of his candy :p
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    As usual, I bought the candy I like most: Starbursts, Skittles, Reese's PB cups, Kit Kats and Baby Ruths.

I refuse to turn into one of those people who gives kids what they think kids should eat (like raisins) instead what the kids want. Or a damn toothbrush.

They want candy and they're getting candy. :)
    I must say, I feel the same. Except add Reeses peanut butter cups. Mmmmmm
  • octhawk
    Options
    I'll add Reeses! I like the color scheme anyways -very Halloween-y
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I think with kids a lot of them would prefer chocolate; however, you can't go wrong with stuff like Sour Patch Kids or Swedish Fish.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I work close Halloween, but I buy a couple bags of Halloween candy for November as it's National Novel Writing Month. When I go to write-ins, I like to bring some of the candy to share. Will have to make sure to log all my writing snacks beforehand to keep everything in my daily requirements this year. That and the occasional latte.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy the full size bars at Costco like I normally do. Now I feel like a cheapskate, lol. Bought two large bags of 'fun size' KitKat's and Reeses Peanut butter cups. So far, I've had 1 KitKat and 3 Reeses. I'm having my son take the damn bowl downstairs with him tonight. Chocolate candy of any kind is so extremely tempting to me.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    I think with kids a lot of them would prefer chocolate; however, you can't go wrong with stuff like Sour Patch Kids or Swedish Fish.

So Swedish Fish good, Norwegian Fish (Lutefisk) bad. Got it! >:)
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge candy person so for me it isn't a big deal. Which is good - because we do full sized bars. Lots of them. I don't open the stuff until Halloween so the BF doesn't eat it and then we usually split up the leftovers and take them to work. Maybe keep one or two things just to have around if the mood hits. I was in charge of the candy at my old job and used to have a full file drawer filled with it sitting right next to me, so I guess I am just lucky that it isn't a big draw. I do know what everyone at work likes and I try to hold one of them back to take to work as part of the leftovers (only use them if we run out which hasn't happened yet - some years we were giving away 2 or 3 because we had that few kids, but I think the word has gotten out the past couple years). I love Halloween to the point where I take the day off to make sure everything is set up perfectly (I do a lot of decorating - more cute then scary) and for me the fun is giving out the candy and seeing how excited the kids are, not actually eating it myself.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have purchased a bunch of things to hand out that I like but that I can walk away from after having one or two: Jolly Ranchers, Pop Rocks, Life Savers and Sour Soothers.

I also have a giant 1 kg bag of molasses Halloween Kisses (in the orange and black waxed paper wrapper) that is ALL MINE!!! Everyone hates on them but they have always been my favorite candy and I plan to buy some more after Halloween and stash them in the freezer to savor throughout the next year.