Carbs and sugar question.

Options
I just wondered how everyone manages their Carbs and Sugar for weight loss.

I am on a 1200 calorie per day diet. I can't seem to work out how much Carbs and sugar I should be sticking to daily. What is a good amount to stick to when trying to lose weight?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You can eat however much you want. Macros are not required for weight loss. For fat loss specifically, protein needs to be monitored, and then you can monitor carbs and fat as you wish. But at 1200 calories you are not going to be maintaining muscle mass very well anyways.

Oh, and I don't manage my sugar. Carbs fall however they fall.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're aiming for...
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Your muscle won't suffer too much, people over exaggerate at mucscle loss in a slight deficit. Don't worry or regard that.
    You can lose weight off a twinkie diet, weight loss is math, calories in calories out. Eat as much snickers and carbs as you want.
    If your goal was a health approach, I would lecture you on macros and whole foods, but stick to one goal at a time. <3
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish sprouted on here. Eat as many carbs as you want. Really. You people crack me up ... but I do feel sorry for the people who come here for advice and think you know what you're on about.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating 1200 calories a day?

I eat at least 100 grams of protein (0.8g*lean body mass) and 50 grams of fat (0.3*total body mass). I then make up the rest of my calories with whatever I want, either carbs, or more fat and protein.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    shai74 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish sprouted on here. Eat as many carbs as you want. Really. You people crack me up ... but I do feel sorry for the people who come here for advice and think you know what you're on about.

So what's your advice? Many of us can stay in deficit, hit protein and fat minimums then fill the rest with carbs, what's the issue with that?

Exactly, there is no issue. I've actually just lowered my protein goal because I want to see if added carbs improve my gym performance. still staying within the recommended amount though. But carbs are fine to consume.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't
    I eat what I want within my calorie allowance
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Since I lift, I try to hit around 30% of my calories as protein. I also try to hit 30 grams of fiber, which can be a challenge. As far as fat/carbs/sugar, I don't pay any attention to that, really, except to make sure that I get some healthy fats in every day.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 100g protein and 50g fat per day. The remainder is whatever I fancy eating. The carbs and sugar fall into place without monitoring.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're aiming for a caloric deficit here. MFP gives you a recommendation for the percent of carbs. Key word *recommendation.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't care about carbs. My bigger concern is calories, then protein. Ideally, I aim for .8 - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass which studies have suggested is optimal for maintaining muscle. My macros are set up to get about 40% of my calories from carbs. But calories are for weight loss, macros support other things like muscle retention, satiety, nutrient absorption, and energy.

The bigger question is, what are your stats and exercise routine? Generally, new people aim for really high weight loss goals (like 2lbs a week) even when its not appropriate. I will tell you, if you are active, you will probably need more calories.