new Microsoft Fitness band

Options
This thing is amazing. It has a 24 heart rate monitor (no strap), GPS built in so gives pace and distance, customized personal workout instructions, UV sensor, sleep tracker (with resting heart rate) and holds charge for two days. I'm getting mime tomorrow.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    So you're rushing out to get a device that may, or may not, work well and has a terrible battery life?

• kCalCrusher
    kCalCrusher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Right now the accuracy is unknown ... how well the sensor is shielded from outside light sources is unknown ... if this band performs similarly to the Mio or Basis B1 (opposite ends of the useful during exercise spectrum) is unknown. Given those unknowns and Microsoft's track record with new products ... I'll wait.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been waiting for this for quite a while and ordered mine this morning. I can't wait. I live with my Lumia Icon at the gym (Windows Phone 8.1 for those not in the know) along with GymAce (formerly ProGym), and this looks like it could be a great extension. I'm very curious about the pre-defined Golds Gym/Mens Health workouts. The video I saw showed rest time being counted down before next excercise. If that functionality is there, to workout and track progress, or if and when GymAce integrates into using the band, it will be perfect. Add in integration to MyFitnessPal and the ability to get notifications for email, social, and Cortana (with reminders) this is HUGE!!!!
  • kCalCrusher
    Options
    Right now the accuracy is unknown ... how well the sensor is shielded from outside light sources is unknown ... if this band performs similarly to the Mio or Basis B1 (opposite ends of the useful during exercise spectrum) is unknown. Given those unknowns and Microsoft's track record with new products ... I'll wait.

Then its a good thing you're not rushing to get one today
  • kCalCrusher
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this for quite a while and ordered mine this morning. I can't wait. I live with my Lumia Icon at the gym (Windows Phone 8.1 for those not in the know) along with GymAce (formerly ProGym), and this looks like it could be a great extension. I'm very curious about the pre-defined Golds Gym/Mens Health workouts. The video I saw showed rest time being counted down before next excercise. If that functionality is there, to workout and track progress, or if and when GymAce integrates into using the band, it will be perfect. Add in integration to MyFitnessPal and the ability to get notifications for email, social, and Cortana (with reminders) this is HUGE!!!!

The integration with different apps is cool plus it works on Android, iPhones and Windows Phones. I've got a Lumia 1520. The Icon isn't running the 8.1 update though. I've heard it will let you update to 8.1 when you link the band to your phone.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I'm just waiting to hear how accurate the HRM is compared to the strap I use today. I definitely LOVE the other features, but right now I'm happy with my phone and HRM today, and would keep using them unless something worked as well plus had ALL THAT MORE!!

I'm excited. I think this looks like it could be the best rival to the Apple watch. Might even be better. Time will tell for both, as neither have really been tested out yet.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    I have the 8.1 Developer Preview on my Icon. I read a post on Redit made by a Microsoft employee that they had tested the Band with Developer 8.1 preview and it synced fine. There was an issue with Bluetooth 4.0 being broken by the DP, but either it doesn't matter and the sync can use normal Bluetooth, or that mysterious Critical update to DP last week was meant to fix this. Either way, I can't wait. This is the ultimate tech toy for someone who loves gadgets, and is into fitness/health. Two day free shipping....sigh.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Fitbit just announced their competition for this, although it won't release until next year. It would be interesting to see more accurate calorie burns, but I've heard the HRM portion on the wrist is not very reliable. Just have to wait and see until there are more user reviews.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The issue I have with all these bands so far, is that you cant glance down and see your heart rate at the exact moment. YOu need to stay still and get a measurement. I want to see my heart rate in real time in the middle of a cardio session or a HIIT session to know if I am in the right heart rate zone etc etc. I am hoping the Polar M400 is the answer to all this.

We have a Microsoft Store at the Mall of America, I am going to check these out tomorrow on my day off
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Have you seen the marketing video for the band? Shows a guy jumping out an airplane (skydiving) and the HRM going through the roof. I don't think it was simulated.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well I have had several fitbits for the last 3 years. But based on the specs and its sinking with mfp, I did buy a microsoft band this morning.
  • kCalCrusher
    Options
    Have you seen the marketing video for the band? Shows a guy jumping out an airplane (skydiving) and the HRM going through the roof. I don't think it was simulated.

Yeah..I work for Microsoft (I don't deal with the watches though). Its real. Theyve been dumping money into marketing so I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more commercials. I've had the FitBit, bodybug and Garmin...the Microsoft Band is my fave.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    AMTirpak wrote: »

Yeah..I work for Microsoft (I don't deal with the watches though). Its real. Theyve been dumping money into marketing so I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more commercials. I've had the FitBit, bodybug and Garmin...the Microsoft Band is my fave.

Hail the Zune. Long live ME and Vista. :D
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    AMTirpak wrote: »

Hail the Zune. Long live ME and Vista. :D

Can you clear up something for me?

Are you an annoying Apple fanboy or an annoying Android fanboy?

Thanks.

Neither ... but thanks for playing and removing all doubt about yourself in the process.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    That's strike two.

Typed on an Asus tablet running 8.1 while my GS5 sits across the room and my ipod charges.

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    If you have not read this article on birth of the Band, you should. It's great insight into how the idea evolved, and the momentum behind this. I don't know how many Windows Phone users are out there who have experienced Cortana (which is still in beta), but Cortana functionality has grown by leaps and bounds because they are constantly tweaking the "AI" and adding functionality in the cloud. New stuff constantly is showing up and it's still in beta. I get the feeling the Band will follow suit. As their algorithms are fine tuned and data is crunched, they'll get better and better at pushing usable information back to users (i.e. when you get a good night sleep (the Band has a sleep tracker) you burn more calories in your workout the next day, etc.).

http://news.microsoft.com/features/microsofts-new-cloud-powered-wearable-keeps-fitness-and-productivity-insights-a-glance-away/
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Can someone please post or pm me a link to this product? I've got a birthday coming up and would love to read a bit more on this.

Edit: Nevermind.....found it.
  • kCalCrusher
    Options
    Try using promo code FRIENDS01 and see if it works if you buy it online. I heard they were already sold out.

• kCalCrusher
    Options
    That's strike two.

Typed on an Asus tablet running 8.1 while my GS5 sits across the room and my ipod charges.

You obviously have some interest in the product or you wouldn't keep posting in this thread....and irrelevant comments at that. Relax, you can still use it on your Android or Mac. Unlike those guys we play well with others.