This may sound weird and/or possibly a little conceited but...

Options
EmmaOnTrack
EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
edited October 2014 in Success Stories
It occurred to me earlier, as I launched my hard won Lycra covered 147lb body enthusiastically at the elliptical at the gym for the 3rd time this week...that I may now be the kind of person I used to be intimidated of.

When I noticed a woman enduring what was obviously an intro session with a trainer, shapeless shirt over baggy trackpants, smileless and trying to be as invisible as possible, I felt a sudden urge to go over and give her a big hug...just for being there.

I have plenty of lumps and bumps, have a ways to go before I reach goal, and am no gym bunny (I do it because I've decided I have to, not because I want to)...but it dawned on me today that I'm no longer acutely and cripplingly ashamed of my body...and that's the major battle won as far as I'm concerned.

Replies

• ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's a good feeling isn't it? I've stopped wearing an oversized t-shirt when I run now and I don't feel self-conscience anymore!! We have worked hard to get to this point, so we should feel proud!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    oh yeah… I've done the "please make me invisible" oversized tshirt/stretch pants thing. When i see women in cool workout gear.. i think; I don't blame them…they've earned it!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound conceited at all. It sounds AWESOME. I got rid of the oversized stuff and started wearing spandex bottoms and fitted tanks when I reached around 260.... I just said "screw it, everyone knows I'm fat under these clothes anyway I'm going to be COMFORTABLE" Wow what a huge difference. I just want to take each woman I see in an oversized men's t-shirt and old school sweat pants aside and tell them the don't have to be miserable and ashamed....
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It occured to me when someone I just met for the first time at a BBQ said "those brownies over there are really yummy..... But you don't look like you'd eat brownies at all anyway."
    Oh, do I look like those women who master self-control? Wow. Had always been envious when I saw one of those.
  • bazarn
    bazarn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It would sound conceited if you were looking down on the other girl, but you were showing empathy because you've been where she is, and that's awesome. We don't work this hard just so we can act like our success is nothing, so keep lovin' yo body girl! Haha
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bazarn wrote: »
    It would sound conceited if you were looking down on the other girl, but you were showing empathy because you've been where she is, and that's awesome. We don't work this hard just so we can act like our success is nothing, so keep lovin' yo body girl! Haha

Agreed. I still like oversize shirts at the gym, though....not out of any shame, but I find them more comfy when lifting.

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm not even halfway to my goals yet, but since visiting this forum so much lately I've developed a new appreciation (admiration) for the hutzpa it takes for someone who is seriously out of shape to go and publicly work out. At the gym, there is this one guy who is extremely large that I can see working his butt off almost every time I go. He gets on the treadmill and walks...and walks...and walks, and sweats and sweats and sweats. I so much want to walk up and give him encouragement, but I've always been afraid he would take it wrong. I think it awesome when someone decides enough is enough and takes hold of their lives.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My gym is pretty quiet. I often go out of my way to speak to people just a good morning or smile. Though I've always tried to smile at people unless I'm under extreme stress.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Not only is it a major battle won, it is THE most important one! Congrats! You have changed your mind-set and opinion of yourself. Keep this feeling with you should you ever feel weak or start to waiver. You HAVE won a battle!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I'm not even halfway to my goals yet, but since visiting this forum so much lately I've developed a new appreciation (admiration) for the hutzpa it takes for someone who is seriously out of shape to go and publicly work out. At the gym, there is this one guy who is extremely large that I can see working his butt off almost every time I go. He gets on the treadmill and walks...and walks...and walks, and sweats and sweats and sweats. I so much want to walk up and give him encouragement, but I've always been afraid he would take it wrong. I think it awesome when someone decides enough is enough and takes hold of their lives.

I agree with you. I too, admire those people from afar for fear of offending, but I do hope they just stick with it.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Not conceited at all! Congrats on the transformation!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I never even thought about this before. When I first joined my gym 3 years ago, I wore sweatpants and whatever t-shirt was clean that day. Now I won't go unless my comfy workout crop pants are clean, along with my sports bra and tank top. I guess I have gotten comfortable with myself also, to where I don't care what others think about me. Changing the way of thinking that people have about themselves is one of the biggest benefits I think you can get by working out and trying to stay healthy.
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This thread made me so happy! Thank you for starting it, and I am really proud of you for working so hard!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Awesome post Emma!!!! :)
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    SLHysell wrote: »

I agree with you. I too, admire those people from afar for fear of offending, but I do hope they just stick with it.

To the both of you, I am one of the weird ones who would not be offended, but would be ecstatic that someone thought enough of me to come and say, "Hey, I think its really awesome that you are trying to get healthy", or "I admire your dedication" Some MFP'ers think its offensive. If they are that easily offended, then I think you're just too dang sensitive. IMO....
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    I just said "screw it, everyone knows I'm fat under these clothes anyway I'm going to be COMFORTABLE"
    That's just such a magic attitude, I LOVE it!

• EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    oh yeah… I've done the "please make me invisible" oversized tshirt/stretch pants thing. When i see women in cool workout gear.. i think; I don't blame them…they've earned it!
    I have to admit didn't use to celebrate others success so selflessly, my inner green monster would be first on the scene. Even now the real "hardbodies" don't get the bulk of my admiration (although of course I appreciate the work it's taken to get to where they are), it's the plumptuous lovelies giving everything they've got to reach a goal they may not even be convinced they can achieve...yet.

Go you good things!! You CAN do it!
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think that's terrific! You earned it! And I also think it's so sweet that you wanted to give her a hug. You obviously have a good heart.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, I replaced just about my entire workout wardrobe! I had old ratty t-shirts and baggy shorts. I now wear fitted shorts or capris, tanks, and cute shirts. I know it sounds silly, but I just *feel* so much better about working out. I even find having a few cute things to workout in helps motivate me to put them on in the first place. ;)

Congrats. ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!