help!! running

Options
I'm currently in the process of losing weight and I want to be a better runner. I would like to complete a 5k one day. My running is not too great but has improved. I can run a mile in 10 mins and 2 in like 22. The problem is that often times I stop at 1 mile bc I'm exhausted. What are some things that I can do to be a better runner

Replies

• kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Keep running. Start slow and steady. Don't go for speed right now, just run. If you're adding distance, only do a 10% increase of distance a week to prevent injuries, such as stress fractures, ITB issues, etc. Get good shoes and socks. A good shoe goes a long way and is worth the money.

I used to be a TERRIBLE runner and I HATED it with a passion. A 14min/mile was exhausting for me, and now I'm running half marathons or more (haven't done a marathon yet) in great speed. I simply started running because I was joining the military, so I had to run. That was my motivator. Just keep at it. Find a motivator. You'll learn to love running if you do it right.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Remember every runner was a newbie at one point. I used to wheeze after half a mile and now I can run 13 without stopping.
    I found that progress was made through trying to go a little further each time, mixing up walking/running/walking/running...having a motivating playlist. Some days will be better than others for no real reason...even experienced runners have 'bad days'.

Stretch.
    Have good shoes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    alehundrah wrote: »
    What are some things that I can do to be a better runner
    • Get fitted for a decent pair of running shoes. They are worth the investment.
    • Slow down when you run.
    • Build up consistently and gradually within your own capabilities.
    • Enjoy yourself.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do 5k pretty soon/now. Go down to 11-12 minute miles if 10 minutes for one is where you are at right now. 5k is only 3.11 miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The problem is that often times I stop at 1 mile bc I'm exhausted.

Ease your pace, to give yourself more endurance. More time on your feet will then give you more capacity to increase the pace.

Speed comes with distance, but not vice versa
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Check the thread that's attached to the top of the forum called 'So you want to start running'
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the slow down. Totally counterintuitive, but it really works.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You can slow down. First mile in 10, second at 22 means you are starting out too fast. Lose the Ricky Bobby mentality and just run easy :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Slow down a little. Try doing a run 2 minute walk 1 minute pattern. Train outside on hills that helped me a lot. Good Luck

Beware Running can become an addiction
  • chrishazza
    chrishazza Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First get best shoes you can afford fitted at a running store.Stretch well before run.Slow down,try 12min miles.Its harder than you think to slow down but force yourself.Sign up for a 5k charity run thats about 3 months away,and tell everyone your doing it,so you can't back out.Enjoy it,you will succeed.
  • Minnygirl1
    Minnygirl1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with the slow down approach. If 1 mile exhausted you then do 1/2 mile with a walking break followed by another 1/2 mile etc.... I have run 3 marathons and my fastest marathon was the one I walked the most....I know, I know , seems weird but frequent walking breaks will increase your endurance. After a while you start phasing out the walking until your running all 3miles. When you can run 3 comfortable then work on speed. Good luck and stick with it. :)
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Slow down and just keep doing it. Take rest breaks when you need to, and after a while you won't need to as much. But most importantly, JUST KEEP DOING IT! :D
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Running a mile in 10 minutes is good in my book. It takes me AT least 15 minutes to run a mile. I agree with everyone here that said to try and slow down. Also, make sure you have good running shoes.
    I also just started using this app called c25k last week. It helps you train for a 5k. I don't have any plans of running a 5k but I would like to be a better runner too. :)
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Running in one big block is a lot harder to do until you build up your endurance. There's a reason that C2K5 programs always alternate walking/running so you slowly build up your endurance.

Once your body is ready, you'll easily be able to do the 3 miles and more at a consistent speed.

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You seem to be in great shape if you can run a ten minute mile!

Honestly, I don't think a 5k is that bad. I ran my first [and only] 5k about seven years ago when I was about 240 lbs. I didn't run/jog or anything before that, and I surprised myself by jogging the entire time. I didn't even come in last place [but close enough]! Just being there gives you such a positve boost.

You already seem to be a decent runner. You can do this! If I can jog 4 miles at my slow pace of 3.3 mph [at my weight and level of fitness], then you can prepare yourself for this 5k! It's as much of a mental battle as it is a physical one! Your body can handle more than you think. I'm rooting for you.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the advice. I'm goinbg to try to slow down and see how that works. I want to be a better runner. I want to be able to eventually do 5 miles in under an hr (long term goal)
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the advice. I'm goinbg to try to slow down and see how that works. I want to be a better runner. I want to be able to eventually do 5 miles in under an hr (long term goal)

If you're doing a 10 minute mile, you'll be there before you know it. :)
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    I'm currently in the process of losing weight and I want to be a better runner. I would like to complete a 5k one day. My running is not too great but has improved. I can run a mile in 10 mins and 2 in like 22. The problem is that often times I stop at 1 mile bc I'm exhausted. What are some things that I can do to be a better runner

Based on your 2 mile time, I estimate you could run a 5k tomorrow in about 40 minutes. Just slow down to about a 13 min/mile pace.

Your problem is common. You are running too fast for your current level of aerobic conditioning. Keep adding more mileage but don't run any faster than a 13 min/mile pace. Speed will come gradually over time.
  • elydotap
    elydotap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm using the c25k program too. So far I plan to repeat week 4 and see how it goes. My goals are not to lofty. I plan to walk a 5k Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving time.
    On my off days I walk a 5k. Today it was in 52 3/4 minutes.
    My first real 5k will be in June to celebrate my 60th birthday. I hope to be below 45 minutes. I have never ran in my life, so this probably crazy.