Cardio vs Strength Training for Beginners

Options
Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice really.

I'm 4 weeks into my new lifestyle and 10lb lighter (YAY!). I'm walking and stationary cycling at the moment to get myself into a routine with exercise. I am very much a beginner and my stamina is not too great.

My plan has always been to lose a fair chunk of my weight and then advance from walking to running - I am planning on doing a C25K eventually. Once I am pretty much at my goal weight (28-32 lbs away), I was going to swap some of my cardio routine for strength training and start lifting etc. This has only been a recent development in my plan because I have seen so many success stories on MFP about how amazing it is.

So, onto my question: am I right in thinking that strength training should come into my routine once I am closer to my goal, or should I be using it as part of my weight loss journey? I have seen a few "lift to lose" routines on the internet while I have been researching it.. I thought that I would ask you guys for your input, because I trust you guys. You've been there/ARE there! :smile:

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You should not wait to start lifting.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi I am at about the same stage as you and about the same way to go :)
    Like you i just started with cardio. Treadmill, walking, stepper etc, but as i was losing i noticed that my body although getting smaller wasnt changing shape. so i also do the weight chairs in the gym 3 times a week, and boy what a difference, so i would suggest to start doing something now, also when the scales dont move, the tape measure does :) x
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    should have added that i plan on doing free weights eventually but i have no real strength at the moment and not 100% what to do with them lol....so i am having a free session with a workmate who is going to show me what i need to do x
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That's another thing - I don't currently have a gym membership. I am doing all of my working out at home or taking walks around my town. I am guessing that I would need to have PT sessions to start strength training?
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    I dont think you need a PT hun, i am lucky and work in the army so a soldier has offered me some free advice and a lesson. so i will let you know what he tells me :)

I started by using 3kg dumb bells while walking on the treadmill, doing lifts etc, so maybe get a cheap set...or use bean tins and watch your arms tone up a treat, i will get back to you about the weight thing next week, after Ollie has shown me lol x

• pinkiezoom
    Options
    oh also youtube has videos on lifting etc
  • Local_Atlantis
    Options
    That would be great!! Thank you so much! :smiley:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    That's another thing - I don't currently have a gym membership. I am doing all of my working out at home or taking walks around my town. I am guessing that I would need to have PT sessions to start strength training?

Do both and don't wait, right now is the time to start.
    Research body weight exercises to get you started. They are free and require no equipment or expense.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi - congrats on the 10lb!
    A blend of doing cardio and strength training will get you in good shape and you'll see real progress in both areas.
    There's plenty of YouTube workouts, you don't necessarily need weights either - body weight exercises can be just as good. There's also iPhone/iPad apps with workouts on it, tinterweb....DVD programmes such as 30 Day Shred, Shaun T workouts etc.

I'd say at the beginning of your fitness journey go and try everything to find out what you love. See if there are any fitness classes local to you as well.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No PT needed. Look up Nerdfitness, you are your own body, convict conditioning and strength unbound for resources about body weight strength training.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    No PT needed. Look up Nerdfitness, you are your own body, convict conditioning and strength unbound for resources about body weight strength training.

I've literally just signed up to Nerd Fitness!! It looks amazing! I'm on ebay looking at dumbbell sets now! :smile:
    Thank you all for the advice.. I will look into it and get started right away. Thank you!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I wish I had started more dumbbell routines when I was losing weight. Just started this year. I do two thirty minute sessions a week in addition to walking /Barre3. My goal is to build upper body strength, and it is working.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Cardio and strength both have their place and anyone losing a significant amount of weight should be strength training in order to preserve muscle. You can do body weight exercises plus some dumbbell and kettlebell routines at home if you don't want to, or are unable to go to, a gym.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Sure you can wait. But why? What's the point of waiting? You're not doing your body any favors by waiting. Just do it! If you don't have a gym… buy some dumbbells and do body weight exercises. There is no good reason to put it off unless your doctor has advised you to do so.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Options
    I always assumed that weights and strength training were for bulking up and toning up and would not be able to assist with weight loss.. But I have been researching after seeing the success stories on MFP, and I can see that it is about fat loss, not weight loss.

I am very excited about it now, and I will be buying some stuff this weekend. Thank you all! You've been so helpful :smile:
  • TheBradka
    TheBradka Posts: 265
    Options
    I live in an area that has no gym so I struggled with weight training for a bit, but I did start with a PT for a few sessions and she started me on a system called the TRX. It is a strap system that works using your own body weight and you don't need to buy all the dumbells/weights you just use what you already have! It has been working great for me! there are all kinds of training options using your body weight for strength training...just youtube it and go from there! Good luck out there you can do it...!
  • Local_Atlantis
    Options
    Great idea, thanks! I will look into that as well. Ta! :smile:
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now. I use StrongLifts 5x5 and mix in cardio (running & stationary cycling) following a program on cyclemeter (half marathon training) -- strength training will benefit your running and cycling.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    start strength training now ….I would suggest getting that gym membership so you have access to free weights, squat rack, etc. New rules of lifting for woman, 5x5, strong lifts, starting strength are all great programs/resources for beginners. Pick one and follow their program along with your cardio regimen...
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You should not wait to start lifting.
    TRUTH!
    Why wait?
    You need to begin a program of strength training, and this will enhance your progress.
    Research some beginner routines for females, and just give it a go. You'll be so glad you did!
    :)